3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   3-Day Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/28194-3-day-diet.html)

HappyHousewife 06-03-2003 02:58 PM

3-Day Diet

Has anyone else tried this. It worked for me but I'd like others' thoughts on it.

HappyHousewife 06-03-2003 02:59 PM

This is a copy of the diet. It seems pretty balanced. :)

First Day

Breakfast:
Black Coffee or Tea, ½ Grapefruit, 1 Slice of Toast, 1 Tbsp. Peanut Butter.

Lunch:
½ Cup of Tuna, 1 Slice of Toast, Black Coffee or Tea

Dinner:
2 Slices of Meat (3 oz.), 1 Cup of String Beans, 1 Cup of Beets, 1 Small Apple, 1 Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream

Second Day

Breakfast:
1 Egg, ½ of Banana, 1 Slice of Toast, Black Coffee or Tea

Lunch:
1 Cup of Cottage Cheese, 5 Saltine Crackers

Dinner:
2 Hot-Dogs, 1 Cup of Broccoli, ½ Cup of Carrots, ½ of Banana, ½ Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream

Third Day

Breakfast:
5 Saltine Crackers, 1 Slice Cheddar Cheese, 1 Small Apple, Black Coffee or Tea

Lunch:
1 Hard Boiled Egg, 1 Slice Toast

Dinner:
1 Cup of Tuna, 1 Cup of Beets, 1 Cup of Cauliflower, ½ Cantaloupe, ½ Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream

MrsJim 06-03-2003 03:17 PM

Oh this one again...

It comes up from time to time...it is advocated by being 'endorsed by a cardic rehab clinic' (but they never mention *which* hospital is endorsing it...probably because there ain't one). I can tell you that when my dad was recovering from his heart bypass surgery, this diet was NOT recommended (they put him on the American Heart Association diet and he did quite well...still doing quite well 11 years later...)

I just recalled what this reminds me of...the "Mayo Clinic Diet" that was being passed around - still is I think, even with the Mayo Clinic's official denial of this diet...

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthinfo...linicdiet.html

Quote:

The Mayo Clinic Diet Myth
For more than 30 years the so-called "Mayo Clinic Diet" has surfaced in many forms and places. Various versions push grapefruit or eggs or meat and promise to peel off pounds magically.

We can offer you clear and official advice: don't believe any of these diets. They did not originate at Mayo Clinic and are not approved by Mayo Clinic. These diets may promote temporary quick weight loss. However, they are not nutritionally balanced or a safe method of weight loss for long-term success. Such diets can be dangerous for some individuals.

The diets prescribed by Mayo doctors and dietitians are individualized for each patient's needs, taking into account medical history and current eating and exercise habits. There is no one diet that works for everyone.

Instead of relying on so-called miracle diets promising rapid weight loss, take stock of your current eating and exercise habits and compare them with recommendations made by reputable organizations. (For example, the updated Dietary Guidelines for Americans provide a wealth of information to get you started.)

A healthy diet along with exercise that results in a 1/2- to 1-pound loss each week is considered safe and effective. Think long-term and work on changes in your food selections and exercise habits that you can maintain for life. If you need help, seek advice from a health care professional such as your doctor or registered dietitian.

Section of Clinical Nutrition
Mayo Clinic
Rochester, Minnesota
This is a SEVERELY low-calorie, low-protein diet, and not what I would call balanced in the least. IMO, a 'balanced diet' does not consist of ice cream, hot dogs and crackers...if you last the three days, the fourth day will be the beginning of the Binge Diet... (thanks Mel ;) ) where you will gain all you lost and more...

I most DEFINITELY do not recommend the 3-Day Diet.

Mindi 06-03-2003 03:19 PM

Sounds like near starvation to me. I'd bet you'd drop some weight pretty quickly....and then put it back on and more, soon as you began eating normally again.

Stuff like this is quick fix that never lasts, better to learn to eat clean and workout and lose fat slowly.

Good Luck!

HappyHousewife 06-03-2003 04:25 PM

I'm thinking about doing it as a 'jump start' type of thing. I stopped losing and have maintained my weight loss for almost a year now. I think I just need to jar my metabolism a bit. I think if I lose a few pounds it'll motivate me to exercise a little more. Thanks for your input guys!! ..I'm not sure what to do 'cause I'm almost at the end of my rope with this plateau. :D

semmens 06-03-2003 05:18 PM

It won't "jump-start" anything; eating like this may make the scale move down, but it will be water and more importantly *muscle* that you're losing. And since muscle burns calories 24/7, when you lose any your metabolism just gets slower.

I just don't think the psychological "boost" will be worth forfeiting muscle. And I'm a strong believer in finding a motivation outside of the scale; there may be many weeks when you don't see a change and that isn't a bad thing if you are building any muscle.

Hope that helps :)

Laura

aphil 06-04-2003 10:22 AM

Hi!
I would have to agree with the concensus view on this one...It seems to me that the coffee alone throughout the day is to push caffiene on you so that you have less hunger pangs since you are all hopped up! :lol:
This is a very old diet plan...what is the deal with all of the beets on it...I have lost 2 clothing sizes and not forced down one beet...it is also too low calorie (around 1000 a day), and not the greatest foods for those calories. If you are eating only 1000 calories a day-it is hard enough to get your basic nutritional needs met at all, much less if crackers, hot dogs, and vanilla ice cream are part of the equation, and the same two fruits and vegetables are used over and over.
I personally shy away from any plan that has it set up EXACTLY what you have to eat at each meal anyway...just for each person's personal palette alone. One small improvement would be to say "1 cup of vegetables" rather than one cup of beans, and give you that choice, and so on.
All in all-even with that-it is still way too low in calories, even if you replace the hot dogs with chicken breast and the ice cream with an equal calorie serving of fruit...At the bare minimum you need to never go below 1200 calories a day, and not for any length of time-especially if you are very active in your exercise. You can lose weight eating 1500-2000 calories a day depending on your exercise, metabolism, etc. and it is healthier and more enjoyable-so why not?
I also agree with finding motivation outside the scale. Just because the scale weight has not moved does not mean you are in a plateau. I stay the same weight at a stretch quite often, and find that during that time is when I tend to lose in my measurements-which means I may be staying the same weight, but I am getting smaller=body fat loss and muscle gain! yahoo!
I also find joy in other non-scale related challenges-learning a new dance move in class, increasing my weights in weight training...I was trekking around the local zoo a couple of weeks ago, and it has a lot of walkways and uphill/downhill areas, and I was pushing my son in the stroller, and then I came to the realization that I wasn't winded...We had went a little over a year ago, and I remember while I was fine with all of the walking with the strength in my legs and all, that areobically I was huffing and puffing a bit at times when we really got moving up the hills...so I was all excited in the zoo going around this time-when I realized that my cardiovascular endurance had really improved over the past year! :D I was probably grinning like an idiot.
Aphil