General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #226  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Just got home from vacation so I plan on going back and catching up on everyone's posts. Usually on vacation it's a free for all when it comes to food but not this year. I was active daily, really tried to eat only when hungry but I did gain...I think like 1.6 lbs...so not too bad but it still kinda bummed me out. On previous vacations I would gain 10-15 lbs so when I think of that 1.6 sounds great but still I was secretly hoping I'd lose a lb or two while gone. Oh well, it's over now so on and forward.
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #227  

Ok so I gained 1.4 lol I just saw my ticker which is 127.4 and I'm 128.8 this morning...I'm gonna update it to be accurate.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #228  
Sherry, Senior Member

S/C/G: 194/172/158

Height: 5'-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spryng View Post
Just got home from vacation so I plan on going back and catching up on everyone's posts. Usually on vacation it's a free for all when it comes to food but not this year. I was active daily, really tried to eat only when hungry but I did gain...I think like 1.6 lbs...so not too bad but it still kinda bummed me out. On previous vacations I would gain 10-15 lbs so when I think of that 1.6 sounds great but still I was secretly hoping I'd lose a lb or two while gone. Oh well, it's over now so on and forward.
Welcome back, glad you had a great time! We missed ya here! congrats on the small gain but you'll have that off in no time. Hey I've been reading about the IF (Intermittent Fasting) seems really close to IE way, it's pretty interesting that's for sure. I've been hanging in there still haven't mastered the IE way either, seems great thru the week but weekends get crazy but i'm not giving up!!!
skelley331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #229  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Spryng - I wouldn't worry about 1.4 lbs. My doc says he doesn't worry about even a 1 or 2 lb gain because he says maybe you didn't go pee or something that morning. I agree with skelley, it will be gone in a day or two. It sounds more like water weight that really isn't weigh gain. You obviously did a great job while on vacation not to have gained your usual. I applaud you for a great accomplishment.

skelley331 I answered you on IF, but forgot to remind you that my key goal for using IF is to empower me so I can learn how to make IE my way of life. I have a problem knowing or recognizing the difference in hunger and just wanting the "taste" of something. I hope that IF will help me to learn the difference so I will be able to learn to eat only when hungry and also help me to live without a "diet mentality" of rules so that IE becomes the "norm" it was for me as a child and teenager.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #230  
Sherry, Senior Member

pattygirl63 yes i'm in the same mentality as you, I was having trouble figuring out when I was hungry so i'm doing the IF for a short period to help me get to the IE way of eating. Thank you for your input.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #231  

Thanks for the warm welcome back ladies! I'm gonna have to check out that IF, never heard of it but I'm with you two, it's so hard to figure out true hunger vs psuedo hunger... I determine hunger when my stomach growls as true hunger but I have noticed that I'm just fine then I'll SMELL something yummy and instant stomach growling and I know that is not true hunger as true hunger is suppose to come on gradually getting stronger until the stomach starts to growl so if it goes from feeling fine to instant growling that is psuedo hunger but still.. annoying to distinguish because I want to eat when my stomach growls! lol and you are right about my gain, I was already .8 lbs lighter this morning so it had to be some sort of water retention which made me feel better lol I knew I didn't over eat once while on vacation and several days I put in 2+ hours of walking (the beach, the redwoods, the vegas strip lol) so I was just bummed I gained while really trying to do the IE way, I thought I'd come back lighter, not heavier lol
Old 08-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #232  

wanted to share a pic from my vacation, this was on top of Moro Rock in the sequoiah nat'l forrest in CA, we were in the clouds lol but this does show my most current weight as well.. I never take pics so its hard to find a complete body one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new pic.jpg (22.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #233  
Sherry, Senior Member

spryng: You look great! I went camping over the weekend just for three days, our youngest grandson was playing baseball in the all stars tournament and I gained 3.5lbs WOW! But i'm okay, not beating myself up, had a great time, didn't eat a lot of junk food, just overate! I started the IF today so I got my 16hrs of fasting in and i'm doing the 8 hour from noon to 8 pm, you only have to do it 2-3 times a week but i'm going to do it mon-fri and see how it goes. I really want to tune into my body signals so I need to see when i'm truly hungry.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #234  

I had to google IF because I wasn't sure what it was lol so there are 3 versions, the 16/8, 19/5 and one more right? so it starts when you sleep then you don't touch food for 16 hours then you are allowed to eat for the next 8 hours but you are only eating when you are hungry? that sounds good! do you get hungry before the 16 hours is up? I didn't get hungry until 11 am this morning so that would be 11 hours for me since I went to bed at midnight...
Old 08-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #235  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

spyrng I have gotten hungry before my 16 hr fast is over, but very rarely. I think this is because when I ate as a child and teen and other times in my life when I successfully got weight down this way (didn't have IF title back then), that was the way I ate. It was "normal" for me. When I did IE naturally, there were times that I had to make myself eat because I just didn't get hungry. How I long to be that way again. Hopefully, IF will help me to get there.

Today was a different eating time for me although I stayed within my 8 hrs. DH and I had fasting blood work done this morning. DH was hungry so we went to eat at Hardee's. Disappointed in the food but was satisfied. Came home and later DH wanted to eat again at our regular time so we ate again. I decided to go ahead and eat around 5:30 to make an 8 hr eating window today because I don't want to get the munches later tonight and have to fight it.

I did do my 3 mile/30 min stationary recumbent bike ride and the resistance exercises today. So basically I am off to a good start. I also did lots of laundry in the mix as well. So I'm very satisfied with my first week of getting this all going in a routine. Tomorrow, I want to go back to my old way of doing IF/IE that I was doing 3 months ago of 19/5 ratio. I had forgotten that one until Spryng mentioned it. I did great on that one and my fasting blood sugar was doing good too. I stopped it when my doc didn't want me to do it that way, but I'm going to go back to it.

Oh, I'm down 1 lb this week.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #236  
Sherry, Senior Member

I started today with the 16/8 IF and it went really great! Actually started my first meal at 12:30 and ended my last meal at 7:30 it ended up being a 7 hr window so my fasting will be for 17hrs instead of 16. Tomorrow morning I will do my 8 min walking after I get up and have my coffee. I do decaf w/stevia so it's only 2 calories. I'm wondering if I should go back to reg coffee and not decaf, they say the caffeine increases your metabolism does anyone know if this is true?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #237  

Whan I started fasting about 30yr. ago my weight problem escalated. Just my 2 cents.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #238  
Sherry, Senior Member

Good morning!
My first day of IF went really great, made it thru the 16/8 plan
Today is my second day and I noticed this time that around 9:00 am my belly started rumbling really loud LOL, not sure if it's hunger or fake. So I started drinking more water and it has stopped. I did drop 2.2 lbs from yesterday so that's a big plus. My eating window starts at 12:00 -12:30 same as I did yesterday so I will post later how things are going. Yahoo!!

carolr3639: I'm not planning on doing the IF way for a long period, just until I can make sure what my body is signaling to be as far as real hunger verses fake. I will only fast mon-thurs and then fri-sun do my regular eating and counting calories.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #239  

S/C/G: 161/???/Healthy!

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

I have found that eating restrictions of any kind derails me in my intuitive eating. I have a problem knowing my hunger signals and waiting to eat in a "window" only makes it harder to figure out.

I had eaten intuitively all my life until about 8 years ago and am now getting back to my "old" habits of only eating when I am truly hungry and only what I want, stopping when I'm just full. It's hard to remember the signals but time will take care of that, and the "learned" diet behavioral way of thinking will be replaced with the natural intuitive thinking I had for over 47 years.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #240  
Sherry, Senior Member

Beeb: so how do you know when you're hungry? I was doing the IE way for about two weeks but couldn't figure out when to eat Is it when your stomach growls?