Healthy Mac and Cheese Recipe

• Hi all, I am going to a potluck and we all got assigned food and I got stuck with Mac and Cheese which is my favorite.

I know what everyone if going to say, doing eat it. But I am not sure I will be able to resist. I know I could use low-fat cheese and skim milk. But has anyone tried making it with almond milk and whole wheat macaroni?

I want it to taste good and not torture everyone else with my diet but I do want some healthy options for those of us who want it!

Thanks for any advice!
  • This is totally wrong, but I have THE BEST unhealthy baked mac'n'cheese recipe If you are not going to eat it, let the others indulge
  • You are truly evil!

But send it my way!
  • Define "healthy." It means different things to different people.

I have a recipe for a low carb version that uses cauliflower instead of pasta. And I have one that I make with quinoa pasta for a gluten free version. But if you want low cal or low fat, I am of no help whatsoever.
  • I will dig it up and it will be in your inbox by morning AND....no eating it!!!!!!!!!!
  • I am probably leaning towards low-cal or low-fat. I would be tar and feathered if I brought cauliflower mac and cheese. (But I wouldn't mind that recipe if you could send it to me)
  • Quote: I am probably leaning towards low-cal or low-fat. I would be tar and feathered if I brought cauliflower mac and cheese. (But I wouldn't mind that recipe if you could send it to me)
    Here's the Cauliflower Mac & Cheese recipe.

And the recipe for the one I make with gluten free quinoa pasta actually calls for regular pasta. THIS is the recipe for that one.
  • Here's a very good recipe that I've already made twice: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/s...aroni-and.html My husband loves it and so do I, but my kids don't, probably because of the broccoli. By the way, this website (skinnytaste.com) has lots of great recipes with all the calorie (and WW point) breakdowns. I wish you the best of luck!
  • I wouldn't use almond milk for cooking like this. It does have a bit of a nutty taste. Soy milk is generally better for cooking. As far as pasta, I suggest Barilla brand wheat pasta. It holds together well.
  • Quote: Here's the Cauliflower Mac & Cheese recipe.
    That sounds yummy!!
  • Quote: That sounds yummy!!
    It's really nothing like pasta but for what it is, it's very delicious!
  • Quote: It's really nothing like pasta but for what it is, it's very delicious!
    My BF only eats three vegetables. I might actually get him to try this!
  • This is what I eat now and honestly...if you season it right...it's DELICIOUS.

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes...-veggie07.html
  • I make a few variants of mac n' cheese.
    I always swap for whole grain pasta (no taste difference to me!)
    For the sauce, I'll typically use skim or almond milk, use much less cheese than typically called for (maybe 1/2 cup for a large casserole), and fill it out with pureed steamed butternut squash! I use a slice or two of light bread and a tablespoon of Earth Balance (or margarine/butter) to make a crumb topping that seals the deal. My toddlers dig it, and I think it's pretty good too.