General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #1  

Default starting off

Hi, I'm new here. Didn't want to post two threads so I thought this section would be more appropriate since I have questions. I've been wanting to lose weight for awhile now and decided to start eating better and running on April 8th. I used to be in great shape (played soccer for 11 years) but then had my first job in fast food (for 7.5 years) and ate grossly for years while not doing any sort of exercise. Shockingly, I didn't gain as much weight as one would think, but I definitely gained weight. I say as one would think because, judging by my pants, I still fit into all my jeans, even from years ago. I'm actually unsure of my current weight, for I don't have a scale and haven't been to any sort of doctor in awhile. However, I do believe I am around 145 lbs. I'm 5'1 and according to BMI calculators, I'm considered overweight. I'd like to change that.

Like I've stated, I began running on April 8th. Needless to say, I did more walking than running, but went two miles. That week I could only run/walk once more due mainly to the poor weather and the time I got out of work. The following week (last week) I ran monday-thursday, some days further than others, but usually around at least 25 mins, and all incorporated walking. This week on Monday I went the two miles again, running more than I was walking. And yesterday (my 8th time) and today I was able to run the whole two miles! That was good to see. I will begin running further each day and track my progress on how far I can run without walking. Progress is fast!

I know this is premature and shouldn't expect anything, but when do subtle results begin to appear? I guess I should tell you about my diet. I've never been a big breakfast person, but have began trying to eat at least something before I go to work. I usually have one hard boiled egg or fruit cup and something like a chocolate chip muffin or a pop tart. For lunch I've been making either a tuna fish sandwich (on a roll), or some sort of lunch meat (turkey, bologna, or pastrami) and either an apple/cantaloupe/watermelon or yogurt. And for dinner I usually just eat whatever my mom makes. I know the diet could probably be better, but I am picky with foods and unsure of what to have without it becoming too redundant. I'm already getting tired of the same lunches. I have 4-5 bottles of water a day, and sometimes a coffee in the morning.

My goal is to lose 25 pounds. My plan is to run mon-fri barring weather conditions, and continue on this diet. I guess my real questions are: when will I start seeing results? What are some things I could add (or subtract) from my diet? Should I purchase a scale? How long will getting to my goal take, approximately? Is this a good starting out plan? I guess I'm sort of getting impatient already. Seeing that I could run two miles did make me proud, but not seeing any result on the body is discouraging.

Thanks for reading all this if you did, and any comments and/or suggestions are definitely welcomed!
jibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 145/125/123

Height: 5'4"

Hi Jibbs and welcome!

Good for you that you're making healthy changes! And that you can already run 2miles, wow.

I rather new to this (2nd time around) but I think you need to figure how you want to diet--calorie counting, low carb, or points like WW. There's probably more but those are the simple choices. People like each one so you need to figure out what you can live with. I do low carb because I could never keep track of things, but everyone's different. You might have to try different things until you find what works. Oops, sorry, I shouldn't have diet, I meant change your lifestyle

I would cut out the muffin and pop tart and put in whole grain something. And add a salad and lots of vegetables to lunch and dinner.

Depending on your age, you might lose 3 pounds a week, but more likely 1 to 2.

Good luck!
Just Dance Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #3  

Thanks for your response

I'm turning 23 on Sunday (bad thing about this is m eating, and drinking, this weekend) I've tried calorie counting before using my fitness pal. The only problem I have with that is that it doesn't have some foods I eat, and I'm unsure how to figure it out. I still have the app, so maybe I'll try that again to get an approximate idea. Progress with running was surprisingly quick- I ran two miles every day this week. Goal is three by the end of next week.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 145/125/123

Height: 5'4"

Have you figured out your calorie allowance? There are several online calculators you can use. Then you can eat a deficit of 300-500 calories a day. That will give you at least a pound a week.

The way I'm losing weight is by cutting out carbs. It's easier for me to do it this way, but some people hate it, so it's really a personal decision. But right now I'm doing strength training so I'm losing inches rather than weight.

But you are doing the right thing by running. Even if you don't see it, your body is getting stronger andhealthier.

You might be losing inches instead of weight. You should take pictures and measure yourself so you can see changes.

So keep going! You're doing a good job!
Just Dance Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #5  

People will argue with me, but cut the fruit (too much glycemic impact) the muffins, yogurt, whole grains and the roll. They will all raise your insulin and keep you from losing weight if not make you gain weight.

Running? What is your heart rate when you run? I would suggest getting and inexpensive gym member ship like 24 Hour Anytime and doing 30 min of stair mill, keeping your heart rate at 125bpm (assuming you're healthy) 5 days a week to start.

You eat 'whatever your Mom makes for dinner'? And what is that? Also, 3 meals a day isn't really enough. You should look at 5 small meals per day to start. It can take a few months of consistency to see results. Get a plan together and stick with it. Re-evaluate after a few months.

Last edited by RaggedyAnne; 04-28-2013 at 11:12 AM.
RaggedyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dance Girl View Post
Have you figured out your calorie allowance? There are several online calculators you can use. Then you can eat a deficit of 300-500 calories a day. That will give you at least a pound a week.

The way I'm losing weight is by cutting out carbs. It's easier for me to do it this way, but some people hate it, so it's really a personal decision. But right now I'm doing strength training so I'm losing inches rather than weight.

But you are doing the right thing by running. Even if you don't see it, your body is getting stronger andhealthier.

You might be losing inches instead of weight. You should take pictures and measure yourself so you can see changes.

So keep going! You're doing a good job!
I have not, I've had some difficulty with the calculators, while not having much time to look either. I'll google some more. I actually just bought a scale today and it came with a measure so will use that as well. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedyAnne View Post
People will argue with me, but cut the fruit (too much glycemic impact) the muffins, yogurt, whole grains and the roll. They will all raise your insulin and keep you from losing weight if not make you gain weight.

Running? What is your heart rate when you run? I would suggest getting and inexpensive gym member ship like 24 Hour Anytime and doing 30 min of stair mill, keeping your heart rate at 125bpm (assuming you're healthy) 5 days a week to start.

You eat 'whatever your Mom makes for dinner'? And what is that? Also, 3 meals a day isn't really enough. You should look at 5 small meals per day to start. It can take a few months of consistency to see results. Get a plan together and stick with it. Re-evaluate after a few months.
Well this whole thing comes across as rude. I've done plenty of research and most says the opposite. I'm not going to go to the gym. Money, time, and personal preference. And yes running. My parents are both runners, my father lost a ton of weight only running. And so did my brother, who is now in the army. I know they're not me but don't say it doesn't work. And yup that's what I eat. Hard not too when she works two jobs, as do I. It's always a vegetable, some starch (which I don't eat all of) and usually chicken. Or some casserole she had made. I can't eat at work, they don't allow food on the desks, so all I have is breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbs View Post

Well this whole thing comes across as rude. I've done plenty of research and most says the opposite. I'm not going to go to the gym. Money, time, and personal preference. And yes running. My parents are both runners, my father lost a ton of weight only running. And so did my brother, who is now in the army. I know they're not me but don't say it doesn't work. And yup that's what I eat. Hard not too when she works two jobs, as do I. It's always a vegetable, some starch (which I don't eat all of) and usually chicken. Or some casserole she had made. I can't eat at work, they don't allow food on the desks, so all I have is breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
jibbs - I'm a 61 year old woman who has lost weight several times over the years. First time I was 18 years old. I would have rather taken a beating than go to the gym (I'm still that way). I had to eat at my college cafeteria, so I was much like you in the sense that I didn't have a lot of control over the food served to me. Yet I managed to lose 20 lbs.

So you have the right idea. Cut your portions, don't be obsessive about the calorie counting when it's not super-easy to determine (like in the casseroles), and the weight will come off.

Ultimately it's calories in, calories out. Creating a calorie deficit will result in weight loss. And for a 23 year old, it's actually pretty easy (unless you have some underlying condition that makes it difficult for you to lose weight). It's not that complicated.

RaggedyAnne, I know you mean well, but honestly, I've lost weight even in menopause eating eating the very same foods you are telling jibbs to eliminate. And I STILL eat them when I want them (as long as I am hungry).

"One size fits all" is definitely not true when it comes to weight loss.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I also have to disagree with the 5 meals a day mantra. I think that works for some, but not for all. The running you're doing is fantastic! Well done! If you don't mind, I will say that the chocolate chip muffin/pop tart is not ideal. Eating foods high in sugar will stimulate the appetite (as far as I know, in most people) and cause you to eat more because of the surge of insulin and then the crash following. The egg is great, but if you're not really huge on breakfast, why not just skip it? I personally stop eating at 7 pm and don't eat anything until 10 a.m. I think it's healthy to give my body a break from eating. Some people must eat upon waking and that's great, but I don't think you should force yourself. Take the egg with you and eat it when you're actually hungry for it.

I don't think you should avoid sugar completely if you really want it, but truly, it's not healthy. Take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM It's called Sugar the Bitter Truth.

I, personally, am counting my calories, but some day...I do hope to get to a point when I can become an Intuitive Eater like SouthernMaven. Right now, though, I need to focus on getting down to a more healthy weight where I'm more comfortable in my body.

I think you're going to do great! Welcome!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #9  

I'm not sure which part you thought was "rude". I may not be telling you what you want to hear, but that's my opinion.

Nothing wrong with going to the gym to do cardio rain or shine. Running can help you lose weight, however, you won't retain much muscle, and, in fact, lose muscle. Keep in mind muscle burns more fat. Less muscle, less burning.

BTW, it is better to eat several small meals a day because it levels out blood sugar. If you really "cant" then you can't.

I disagree with the idea that "everyone is different" and what works for one doesn't work for another. Sure there are always variations; some people have more fat, some people have a higher metabolism and so on. However, it's been proven that reducing or cutting simple carbs, sugars and high glycemic foods promote weight loss.

ALL of this aside, if you're looking to make your nutrition better and lose weight, reduce the simple carbs and carbs, drop the muffins and pop tarts. Instead of a bread roll, try a provolone cheese and lunch meat "roll". If you like running, then run. I would suggest a heart rate monitor though so you stay in the fat burning range. IMO you would be better off with 20 mins or so of non-stop jogging than going a distance of jogging/walking.

To answer your initial questions: when I diet very strict for fat loss, it took about 5 weeks before I saw real changes and dropped weight. Then another plateau then some more weight loss. You need to be patient and stick with your program.

You could weight yourself once a week ... to see if you're making progress. Often looking in the mirror at your abs and butt to see if you notice changes or how your clothes fit are the best gauges.

To lose 25lbs, I would, honestly, have a goal of 5-6 months. It make sound like a long time but it's best to do it correctly, slowly and keep it off.

BTW, I do admire your efforts to run, change your diet and dedicate yourself to weight loss and a healthy lifestyle. I think you're on the right track and doing well.

Last edited by RaggedyAnne; 05-01-2013 at 10:53 AM.
RaggedyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote