General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #16  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

I love milk! I couldn't live without it, & I don't! I drink organic 2% every day, with no growth hormones, cloning or unnecessary additives, & I'm still losing weight. If you're losing weight, I don't see why you would need to cut it out, as long as you're not downing it by the gallon in one sitting. No need to be deprived of delicious milk

Last edited by Keep Moving Forward; 04-20-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #17  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Milk is great! Some populations (some Northern Europeans and some Africans) have evolved digestive systems to drink milk as adults. So if you're one of those people (and I am) I say enjoy it and that there's zero need to cut milk out of your diet if you enjoy it. On the other hand, there are other ways to get calcium etc than drinking milk - you don't NEED it. But I'm doing intuitive eating and so I'm supposed to eat what I enjoy.

BTW - I do drink milk. Whole milk. Not daily, but at the level that I like - most days a week, at a guess.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I'm not an extremist by any means but there is some truth to the argument that we are the only species on earth that drink milk past infancy, and the only species that drinks the milk of another species.
We are also the only species that cooks its food, to the best of my knowledge Perhaps learning to drink milk is an evolutionary advantage in the same way? I know lots of species that WILL drink the milk of other species if given the opportunity.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella1609 View Post
We are also the only species that cooks its food, to the best of my knowledge Perhaps learning to drink milk is an evolutionary advantage in the same way? I know lots of species that WILL drink the milk of other species if given the opportunity.
There's definitely truth to that. I'm not anti-milk. I don't drink it as a beverage and use it sparingly. Ok truth be told I like yogurt. But it does make me wonder sometimes, milk is loaded with growth hormones that are intended to make baby cows grow up, just like breast milk is loaded with hormones to make babies grow. There's just a lot to think about when it comes to milk, I'm not trying to put anyone off it, I'm just stating that I have questions about it. It also makes me kind of sad that the dairy industry keeps cows in a perpetual state of milk production, can you imagine if we humans were kept like that? It doesn't seem normal, especially since those poor little calves never even get to have their momma's milk. They're given formula instead - which raises the question, what does that mean for the calve's health and the nutrition of the milk we drink? I don't know, these are the things I think about. We can't just take take take all the time. http://freefromharm.org/farm-animal-...airy-products/
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #20  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Some recent studies show that milk may actually help with weight loss if drank in moderation due to the vitamin D in contains. As long as you're not going over your calorie limit (if you count calories), milk is perfectly fine.

WebMD Milk Helps with Weight Loss
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #21  
Lose 1lb. Repeat 99 times

S/C/G: 262/signature/170

wow! thanks for all the responses everybody. I had lost this thread somewhere and since I am fairly new to 3FC I am trying to figure out how to keep tabs on what I post and what everyone replies!

So Milk is GOOD!! YAY!
nitrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #22  
it's always something

I personally find that dairy has a negative effect on my weight. It's odd, even when I replace other foods with the same number of calories from dairy, my scale blips upwards a little. I have no idea if this is true, but Dr. Mark Hyman says this is due to a dairy allergy - not the same thing as lactose intolerance. I haven't always been this way, it's just a body response I've noticed over the last year or two. I've charted my weight and food log carefully.

There's nothing in dairy that I can't get from other food groups, so I avoid it now. I must admit that giving up cheese and Greek yogurt was difficult at first, but I don't miss them now.

The dairy industry is pretty twisted, btw.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote