General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #316  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
In Colorado right now with the family.
My son lives in Boulder...
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #317  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Does anyone else experience the feeling each day that "I should be eating more veggies or some other food that 'diets' say we 'need' to eat"? I wake up in the morning and my 1st thought is that I need to eat breakfast and it should be such and such. Then I have to remind myself that I CAN EAT WHATEVER I want. I've eat eggs for low carb breakfast for so long that my 1st thought is that is what I should eat. While I do love an egg breakfast, I find that I really love cheese toast and coffee for breakfast and that is what I've given myself permission to eat lately. Point being that I'm finding that I seem to be having to RETRAIN my brain daily that there is NO SUCH THING as good/bad foods and I CAN HAVE WHAT I REALLY LOVE AND ENJOY without guilt. It is great but it is a constant struggle.
Trish, the only time I ever even THINK about whether or not I should be eating more veggies is when I read posts by the "dieters" on this forum who sometimes go on and on about how many vegetables and "clean foods" they eat, but then I quickly realize that my body tells me when to I need to eat something green! I love salads but I don't particularly like preparing them, so I'll go somewhere to get one. I did that yesterday - went to Chili's and had one of their entree salads for a late lunch. I think part of me is rebelling from all the vegetables I felt I had to eat when I was dieting. I know that eventually I'll begin eating more of them again, but right now I'm pretty much down to salads for vegetables, but I eat them several times a week.

Quote:
Counting calories with IE is also showing me that when I am not dieting and left to my own way of eating that pleases my body needs, I don't really eat that much. I don't eat think I ever eat much over 1400 to 1500 calories most days. I find that quite interesting.
Although I am in no way tracking my calories (except for the occasional time or two I've figured them up after the fact, just out of curiosity), my in-depth knowledge of them tells me that I'm pretty much doing the same thing. Yesterday was an exception; I didn't overeat, but I did eat more than I usually do. I was hungry. This morning I threw away half a container of yogurt, I was so disinterested in it. Still waiting for my hunger to appear.

Quote:
Went out for breakfast this morning as we always do after church. I placed my order and then realized that I wanted to make a substition for one of the grits. I normally would have gone ahead and had the grits now that I can ad my Stevia to it, but that is not what I wanted. All morning I had thought of hash browns. I called the girl over and made the change. No since in eating something I don't want even in a restaurant. After all, I'm paying for it. Big step for me.
Good for you!

Speaking of Stevia - my brother has been doing QWLC (he's lost about 35 lbs), and he uses it all the time. I've never been much for any kind of low-calorie sugar products, as I drink my coffee black and my ice tea unsweetened. I was drinking hot tea in the evening a while back and had bought a box of Truvia packets because I thought I needed that tea sweet. It was way too sweet for me so I decided "if I drink everything else without sugar, why do I think I need to drink hot tea with it?" So I just started drinking it without any sweetener, and that was that. (I think I've mentioned before that I'm not much of a sweets eater - I'm the bread/potatoes/chip type of eater). So I just brought the rest of the box to him.

On the rare occasions that I now drink soft drinks (very rare) I drink sugar-free, so that's probably the only time I "use" artificial sweetener. I started drinking them a long time ago - in college, I think - and I can't drink a regular soda at all.

I also made a decision quite some time ago that I would never, ever, ever use any type of low-calorie and/or low-fat salad dressing. I've tried dozens of different ones over the years and every single one of them tastes nasty to me. I mean, gag me nasty. I've had people recommend all kinds to me, swearing that THIS one or THAT one is wonderful and "you can't tell the difference" between it and the high-calorie, high-fat one. Oh yea I can. And I know it's not psychological, because I've had low-fat ones accidentally served to me in restaurants AND I've accidentally put them on my salads at salad bars. I ALWAYS know when I'm eating a low-fat, low-calorie dressing. Guess I'm just hyper-sensitive to them. So those have been off my list for a very long time.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #318  

Quote:
Bit the bullet and ordered Susanna's book from Amazon. Tried to get it from pay pal and couldn't get it to go through for some reason. Don't know if my credit card won't pay or what. So I decided to go ahead and pay the expensive price for new one on Amazon. Will have it sometime between 12th and 29th of this month. Looking forward to getting it.
Ouch! I wonder if you could just get in touch with Susanna and ask her if you could send her a check? I hate to see you pay that much for the book!

If you can stop the order, that's what I'd do. Or if not, maybe send it back and get a refund so that you don't have to spend so much money on it. I saw where she was trying to get that removed from Amazon but she's had no luck with it. I have no idea why it's showing up that way.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #319  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
In Colorado right now with the family.
Have a great time!!!
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #320  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
Ouch! I wonder if you could just get in touch with Susanna and ask her if you could send her a check? I hate to see you pay that much for the book!

If you can stop the order, that's what I'd do. Or if not, maybe send it back and get a refund so that you don't have to spend so much money on it. I saw where she was trying to get that removed from Amazon but she's had no luck with it. I have no idea why it's showing up that way.
Too late. It's already on its way. Will have it in 1-3 days.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #321  

Quote:
Originally quoted by SouthernMaven;4698199 Trish, the only time I ever even THINK about whether or not I should be eating more veggies is when I read posts by the "dieters" on this forum who sometimes go on and on about how many vegetables and "clean foods" they eat, but then I quickly realize that my body tells me when to I need to eat something green! I love salads but I don't particularly like preparing them, so I'll go somewhere to get one. I did that yesterday - went to Chili's and had one of their entree salads for a late lunch. I think part of me is rebelling from all the vegetables I felt I had to eat when I was dieting. I know that eventually I'll begin eating more of them again, but right now I'm pretty much down to salads for vegetables, but I eat them several times a week.
You know that may be what is happening to me. I see all this stuff on "diets" about eating clean and how we need to eat all these fruits and veggies. I too love both especially salads, but some days like today when I just don't want any veggies. Then there are times like last night when I was starving for a salad. I agree that the body tells us what it wants or needs.

Quote:
Originally quoted by SouthernMaven;4698199 Speaking of Stevia - my brother has been doing QWLC (he's lost about 35 lbs), and he uses it all the time. I've never been much for any kind of low-calorie sugar products, as I drink my coffee black and my ice tea unsweetened. I was drinking hot tea in the evening a while back and had bought a box of Truvia packets because I thought I needed that tea sweet. It was way too sweet for me so I decided "if I drink everything else without sugar, why do I think I need to drink hot tea with it?" So I just started drinking it without any sweetener, and that was that. (I think I've mentioned before that I'm not much of a sweets eater - I'm the bread/potatoes/chip type of eater). So I just brought the rest of the box to him.
I also made a decision quite some time ago that I would never, ever, ever use any type of low-calorie and/or low-fat salad dressing. I've tried dozens of different ones over the years and every single one of them tastes nasty to me. I mean, gag me nasty. I've had people recommend all kinds to me, swearing that THIS one or THAT one is wonderful and "you can't tell the difference" between it and the high-calorie, high-fat one. Oh yea I can. And I know it's not psychological, because I've had low-fat ones accidentally served to me in restaurants AND I've accidentally put them on my salads at salad bars. I ALWAYS know when I'm eating a low-fat, low-calorie dressing. Guess I'm just hyper-sensitive to them. So those have been off my list for a very long time.
I use Stveia in my coffee and lemon water mainly because I learned that I really don't like black coffee. I don't have any idea why I started using it in my tea. I like it in hot tea, but never used any sweetner whatsoever in iced tea. However seldom soft drinks, but they are always diet drinks.

I gave up lowfat/ff/diet dressings a long time ago because they are so full of salt and I have a tendency to retain fluids. I do use things like Pam spray when I cook some foods just because I don't want to clean up the messy splatter. However, I'm not one convinced that all fats are bad for you. I have decided that what is bad for you today usually will be found to be good for you later. I just don't trust everything they say. I'm more of the mind that when you eat what it takes to satisfy you will be less especially when eating "mindfully" savoring every bite is the key.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 04-08-2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: corrections... learning how to do quotes haha
Old 04-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #322  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Hello Ladies! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!
I left on Thursday for a business trip in Chicago. I had never been and it was VERY fun! I walked a lot and ate whatever pleased me!

I was going for an Award's dinner. If I was still in a "dieter mindset"- I'm sure I would have found the ordeal to be quite stressful, but instead- I was hungry...and ate whatever I wanted. I had a small bit of everything. Everything was delicious! I ate pretty effortlessly and when I looked back on it- I didn't really eat THAT much. Way less then I probably would have eaten 3 months ago. Winning!

During the weekend, I also ate a Chicago hot dog, a soda (EEEEP! HA), pizza (finished with white truffle oil!), and a couple Sprinkles cupcakes for breakfast one morning (LOL!). I was happy. Didn't stress about food. Never overate. And probably walked over 12 miles in two days.

I'm still weighing twice a week (I go to the Metabolic Research Center)- and I'm losing body fat every time I weigh in (Despite eating cupcakes for breakfast). However- my weight is a bit frustrating. I'm trying to tell myself that it doesn't matter. My weight is very much influenced by hormones. And my consultant says that as I lose body fat- it will release estrogen and cause even more fluctuations.

I want to become at peace with my weight. This morning I was thinking about everything that cycles in nature- the tides, the moon, the seasons, night/day... My body was intended to cycle. It's a beautiful process, really. So instead of fighting the number on the scale, I'm trying to embrace it.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #323  
Living Intuitively

Quote:
However, I'm not one convinced that all fats are bad for you. I have decided that what is bad for you today usually will be found to be good for you later. I just don't trust everything they say. I'm more of the mind that when you eat what it takes to satisfy you will be less especially when eating "mindfully" savoring every bite is the key.
OOooh! I agree. I actually think that fats are quite healthy for the human body.
I'm very drawn to an Early 20th Century diet. I thoroughly enjoy eating like my great grandmother. I'm no longer interested in food engineered by man.

I love love LOVE this Intuitive Eating Principle:
Quote:
Discover the Satisfaction Factor. The Japanese have the wisdom to promote pleasure as one of their goals of healthy living In our fury to be thin and healthy, we often overlook one of the most basic gifts of existence--the pleasure and satisfaction that can be found in the eating experience. When you eat what you really want, in an environment that is inviting and conducive, the pleasure you derive will be a powerful force in helping you feel satisfied and content. By providing this experience for yourself, you will find that it takes much less food to decide you've had "enough".
For me- satisfaction is found is very natural foods.

Yesterday morning I made a salmon cake, topped with a poached egg and a dill hollandaise sauce. Swoon!

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 04-08-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #324  

lunarsongbird - sounds like your trip to Chicago was fantastic! I am so glad to hear that you were able to enjoy eating without fretting over it. Isn't that a wonderful feeling?

You mention that you're going to MRC - do they know that you're doing IE? Just curious.

I'm wondering - can they weigh you and not tell you your weight? I mean, is that allowed? As long as the body fat is going down, I really wouldn't worry about the number on the scale. I hate to see you have to get frustrated over a number that in the scheme of things really doesn't mean much.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #325  
Living Intuitively

I've made mention of IE, but this week I'm transitioning to a new consultant- I think we will begin to explore it more. However- MRC Has their own menus and plans they want you to follow. I'm afraid that if she actually knew what I was eating- she would try to urge me to follow their plan, because she would think I would lose more in ketosis. And would I? Maybe? But would I be as a happy?

One of the things that has always bothered me about diets is the whole, "Eat to live, not live to eat." But I ADORE food. I always have. I think it's so incredibly pleasurable. I love everything about it... I love the way it delights my senses and connects me to different places and times. My husband works in fine dining and we just like that lifestyle. We love good food, good wine, good beer, and good company. There is SOOOO much to delight in! So many people have dedicated their entire lives to crafting exquisite food. Entire generations of families have made food into an art. How can I not support that? LOL.

My husband is a sommelier (professional wine steward.)

I can REALLY geek out on food: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4641048-post14.html

(Wow. I just totally got foodie for a second.)
So I guess I just don't want to risk having to defend my choices, because I'm not going to change them. This is my life now.

However, I'm also a loud mouth- so I'm sure it will come out eventually. I hope they will support me. They already get a ton of my money. I paid for the program up front and I pay for supplements (that I actually like) monthly. So we'll see how it pans out. My plan also includes a year of maintenance.

I do like the accountability of weighing in with a consultant twice a week. It's keeping my mind in the game, which now is focused on Intuitive Eating principles.

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 04-08-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #326  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarsongbird View Post
I've made mention of IE, but this week I'm transitioning to a new consultant- I think we will begin to explore it more. However- MRC Has their own menus and plans they want you to follow. I'm afraid that if she actually knew what I was eating- she would try to urge me to follow their plan, because she would think I would lose more in ketosis. And would I? Maybe? But would I be as a happy?
A big fat "NO!" to that last question!

Quote:
My husband is a sommelier (professional wine steward.)
Ohhh, I've always wanted to learn more about wine! I know so little about it. I'm currently on a 90-day "hiatus" from my wine-drinking, and when I start up again it will only be on the weekends, and my plan is to try and learn more about really fine wines. I'm going to investigate locally and see if there's some type of class I can take.

I was able to go to a wine-tasting in Budapest and it was wonderful!

Quote:
However, I'm also a loud mouth- so I'm sure it will come out eventually. I hope they will support me. They already get a ton of my money. I paid for the program up front and I pay for supplements (that I actually like) monthly. So we'll see how it pans out. My plan also includes a year of maintenance.
Well keep us posted on how they take it!

Last edited by SouthernMaven; 04-08-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #327  

Quote:
But I ADORE food. I always have. I think it's so incredibly pleasurable. I love everything about it... I love the way it delights my senses and connects me to different places and times.
If you read that book about the French, they are into pleasure, too.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #328  

I joined the FB group for the support of the book. Someone suggested I could read some of the 1st chapter on Amazon so I did.

I identified to so much with Susanna's story of being thin and her first diet. What really got me in her story is when she tells about how she was in ice skater, but by the time she wanted to lose 3 lbs and went on her 1**** diet that she was skating only occasionally. She makes a point to says for the reader to please resist thinking she had gained weight because she wasn't as active as she had been. It was as if that statement was written for me.

I was a very active kid and as I've always said didn't even think about food very often. Even as a teenager besides dancing at parties almost every weekend, I was also in the band and our band director had us marching everyday sometimes an hour at a time. Then of course there was PE with volleyball, basketball or baseball through the season. I lived this way for 3 or 4 yrs and always thought the reason I gained weight was because I wasn't as active any more when I got out of high school and went off to college. When I read her story, I realized this isn't true. When in college I was eating more, but I was also walking everywhere. No one had a car so we walked about 2 miles or so to town to shop or go to movies. I went to dances and was active in PE. I loved dancing so went dancing whenever I could. The problem was that my Daddy made a remark about me putting on a few lbs. I didn't know if I did or not. Didn't get on a scale unless the school or doctor weighed me. But when I went to live with my aunt, she took me to my 1st diet doctor and that is when I got into the "diet" routine. Every adult woman I knew in my family including my Mama was always on a new diet or new exercise machine. (I remember Daddy's cousins wife had a table you could lay on and it would shake you all over). So I guess, I just thought when you got older "dieting" was what you did.

I have to tell you that there was nothing I hated more back then than to have someone come to me with a New Diet that they thought I should try. Isn't it strange that everytime I was left to do my own thing and people would leave me alone, I could lose weight with no real problem.

I am looking so forward to this book. I read a few paragraphs of Susanna's book to DH and he said... "I've told you that before". And he did when we first married. I had lost weight... I might say I lost it more of on an IE woe, but didn't have the name. When we married, we bought a bunch of diet books from a Christian doctor and I started reading loads of things on dieting. I got on a low carb support group and we would share what we were eating. I shared what I was eating and was told "You can't eat that on low carb". And being such a good "diet" student, I changed the way I was eating and I've been fighting it ever since.

I'm hoping Susanna's book will help me get back to my "normal" way of eating again.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #329  

Quote:
If you read that book about the French, they are into pleasure, too.
I'm really enjoying this book. Although I don't think I'll be eating leek soup any time soon!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #330  

Quote:
I joined the FB group for the support of the book. Someone suggested I could read some of the 1st chapter on Amazon so I did.
Did you see my welcome? With the wink?

Quote:
I'm hoping Susanna's book will help me get back to my "normal" way of eating again.
I'm re-reading it right now. Like The Overfed Head, I found it easy to read and just very common-sense thinking. When I first read Susanna's book, I just wasn't there yet. When I finally decided to practice IE, however, I did start thinking about what I'd read in it, particularly about really savoring your food. That's when I found myself back here and learned about The Overfed Head, and it brought everything together.

These are definitely the best two books out there, as far as I'm concerned.