3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > General Diet Plans and Questions

General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Intuitive Eating #17

Old 03-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #181

I promised myself that I wouldn't spend a cent more on diet regimes, including books (I have enough diet books to start my own mini-library), so learning a new approach is limited to word of mouth and the information that's freely available online or in my local library.

I began my reading with The Overfed Head, implemented the approach and discovered what was useful and what was not. I'm not too keen on the author's chart for hunger and actually found a simpler one online within an article on Intuitive Eating. The article is found on WebMD and is titled, "Am I Really Hungry" by Kathleen M. Zelman, MPH, RD, LD. It's a simple article with a simple chart that I can follow fairly well to assess my hunger.

webmd(dot)com/diet/features/really-hungry

On another note, during grocery shopping last night, I bought a few boxes of Skinny Cow ice cream...it's now almost 12 hours later and they're still unopened, when usually at least an entire box would be empty by now. That's mindfulness!

Last edited by Annleslie : 03-20-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Annleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #182

Quote:
I bought a few boxes of Skinny Cow ice cream...it's now almost 12 hours later and they're still unopened, when usually at least an entire box would be empty by now. That's mindfulness!
That's great!!!
1 Thess. 4:16-17
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #183

Basically, Susanna Dee lost weight by leaving food on her plate....3 bites of each food or drink. But she has a lot of good things to say.
Quote:
The wonderful thing about my weight loss storyand my weight loss consulting business is that you will find no mention of psychotherapy.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #184

Here's another idea.
Quote:
The feeling of fullness is only one small factor in the satiety equation.
Quote:
filling up the stomach is actually one of the least powerful factors of true satisfaction.

Last edited by carolr3639 : 03-20-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #185

Lastly
Quote:
The fact I no longer had to deny myself and ate only what I really craved had put me back in touch with my true satiety point. I was satisfying the most powerful factor when it comes to our relationship with food-my head-all that data which influence my food choices for whatever emotional, physical or mental reason. And in so doing it took less and less food to satisfy me. It brought me back to being in touch with my body and even more importantly, it took all the fear out of eating.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #186
Intuitive Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annleslie View Post
I promised myself that I wouldn't spend a cent more on diet regimes, including books (I have enough diet books to start my own mini-library), so learning a new approach is limited to word of mouth and the information that's freely available online or in my local library.

I began my reading with The Overfed Head, implemented the approach and discovered what was useful and what was not. I'm not too keen on the author's chart for hunger and actually found a simpler one online within an article on Intuitive Eating. The article is found on WebMD and is titled, "Am I Really Hungry" by Kathleen M. Zelman, MPH, RD, LD. It's a simple article with a simple chart that I can follow fairly well to assess my hunger.

webmd(dot)com/diet/features/really-hungry

On another note, during grocery shopping last night, I bought a few boxes of Skinny Cow ice cream...it's now almost 12 hours later and they're still unopened, when usually at least an entire box would be empty by now. That's mindfulness!
Annleslie - that was a great article! Very IE oriented! The one thing I personally didn't agree with - for myself, while I'm still learning about hunger cues - is to schedule meals and snacks. I think that defeats the whole purpose of IE and goes back to the diet mentality, but she wasn't writing that article for people practicing IE, so I understand that. It's just not applicable to me right now. But the rest of it really fits the IE concept and gives good guidelines for assessing true hunger.

The only IE book I've purchased is "I've tried it all! Now what?" by Susanna Dee. Which is how I first learned of IE (although she doesn't call it that). Everything else I've read online or checked out of the library. I think there's plenty of information for free. Ultimately it's up to us to put it into practice.

- Rob Stevens, The Overfed Head

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
- Albert Einstein
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #187
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Have I mentioned how much I loooove IE.

Today I've been quite hungry - at lunch I had an amaaazing cajun shrimp and fish wrap. Cooked right in front of my eyes outside a fish restaurant. It looked like they were putting mayo on it and I said 'none for me' (don't like it)- they said it was creme fraiche, so I said go for it. It was so delicious. I enjoyed every single bite.

I also had this craving for yellow squash casserole (must have been all that talk of Southern food!!). So I bought some yellow squash at the foodie market where I bought the wrap. Unfortunately my squash cost more than my wrap - yellow squash is almost impossible to find here. I'm so looking forward to my supper. But I better get on it!

Lose 25lbs by 15 April (10 Mar)
Get to 100 kg (220) by 1 May (7 Apr)
Be 205 by race day - 14 July
One-derland by 1 Sept
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #188

S/C/G: 238/212.8/135

Height: 5'2'

I find it interesting that now that I can eat whatever I want that I am also learning what I like and don't like. I love pasta. So yesterday DH and I decided to go to Olive Garden for lunch for a change. I told DH last night that I don't think that Olive Garden is a place that I care to go to very often. I love their salad and bread sticks, but not a big fan of the meals. Most of the meals they have that I like, I can make at home or buy frozen at the store. I like to eat things I can't or won't cook at home. DH got a pizza and got half of it with sausage (my favorite), but their's was not good to me. My favorite is from Pizza Hut with thin crust. I ate 1 piece and the rest is in fridge and if DGS doesn't want it when he comes home this weekend it will go down the garbage disposal. The one meal I ordered would have been 2 meals for me so I brought half of it home. Warmed up it as terrible. Needless to say, that isn't a place that will be put on my list of places to eat. If I wasn't doing IE, I'm not sure I would have ever figured this out.

Trish

If you eat when you are not hungry, you just overate!!!

pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #189

S/C/G: 238/212.8/135

Height: 5'2'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostMe View Post
Have I mentioned how much I loooove IE.
Me too!!

Trish

If you eat when you are not hungry, you just overate!!!

pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #190

Another quote from Susanna Dee. I don't know if I have ever read the problem of tasting food while preparing it.
Quote:
Simply be aware you ate a good protion of your meal while preparing your family's meal and your body knows you did. So when you sit down serve yourself about half the amount you would have normally served yourself and enjoy! Do leave bites on your plate and journal your food. It's just a matter of adjusting with a little common sense thrown in.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #191

Even though I don't drink, I thought this was important.........compensation.
Quote:
If you're going out for just drinks with friends after work, compensate for it somewhere else in the other meals your day. You can trust yourself to be flexible with the rules.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #192

When she says journaling, she just means counting all the bites you left and multiplying by 1/4. That is the number of miles you won't have to jog to get the calories off. I guess you have to read the book to really get it. ha
Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #193

Southern Maven, I want to read that thread you started but I see it will take me awhile.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #194
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Pattygirl - I'm totally with you on the Olive Garden! Love the salad. Could just eat that. Their mains??? Not so much. There isn't Olive Garden in the UK, but when I visit the US my mother sometimes wants to go there. I put my foot down. I haven't eaten there in maybe - well over a decade?

And I agree on the restaurant thing. I *really* don't like eating meals in restaurants and thinking "I can make better than that." Of course, I'm a pretty good cook

Lose 25lbs by 15 April (10 Mar)
Get to 100 kg (220) by 1 May (7 Apr)
Be 205 by race day - 14 July
One-derland by 1 Sept
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #195
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Hello Ladies! I started reading a bit of Overfed Head this morning. I like it quite a bit and it has pretty much what I have been doing since January.

I had a bit of an "Ah-ha" moment this morning when thinking about the book- My husband is quite skinny. Always has been. He eats what he wants- when he wants. Now it all makes sense as to why when I ask him what he wants to eat later that evening or for the weekend...he always responds, "I don't know."

How does IE work with meal planning? It does seem to...
which makes me feel a little...hm...unorganized?
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.