General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #151  

Quote:
I wrote elsewhere that I have NO problem leaving food, or throwing it out, which is something that people who want to practice IE have to be able to do.
I really have trouble with this My mom was a real saver but never overweight.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #152  

The book by Susanna Dee is really something. I'll be reading it a few times.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #153  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
The book by Susanna Dee is really something. I'll be reading it a few times.
I managed to finally find my copy this afternoon. I'm currently reading the Tribole/Resch book but have been looking back through Susanna's book.

I had forgotten Rule #9 - Eat the Best First - that's a good one!

I'm glad you are enjoying the book. One thing I really do like about it is that it's very light-hearted. The one I'm reading right now just gets too much into the weeds of IE. But there's some good stuff in it as well.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #154  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Hey y'all...

Yes SouthernMaven I am a born and bred Tennessean but have lived in England for 16 years. I feel for you not liking grits - I even had grits served at my wedding! Thankfully they are now quite easy to get here because of Italian polenta which is like a slightly finer grind of grits. I can even get quick cook polenta which means shrimp and grits is a nice fast go-to meal for me - along with some stir fry veggies. But I know what you mean...I don't like watermelon and prefer unsweet tea so I get my Southern credentials regularly challenged.

Fried okra I really miss I have made it from scratch, but that is a real pain to do. But I tell you what, it was amazing. Me and a Texan friend were in heaven - we couldn't believe the best fried okra we'd ever had was in London. I do cook with okra a lot. It's used a lot in Afro-Caribbean and Asian cooking so also easy for me to get.

Sausage biscuits. Dang. My biscuit making skills are POOR and of course you can't get them here. Well...you can buy biscuits - but they taste like cookies!! There is an Irish bread called a soda farl which comes pretty close.

Shiv - my in-laws live in Edinburgh. I've never had a deep fried Mars bar, but I have tried some other questionable deep fried stuff - like pizza. ??? I have had Irn Bru. It tastes of steel girder - I think you have to be born to it.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #155  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

ZumbaChica - welcome!! And welcome back to eating like a thin person! You have to have a great advantage, because I've never eaten like a thin person since I was a little kid. I grew up in a household where binge eating and overeating was a regular occurrence. I never really saw normal eating.

One word of caution - I wouldn't really try fasting in combination with IE and if you're hungry at night - eat. But when first starting IE - and I have trouble with this, too - it's sometimes hard to pick up hunger signals appropriately. There are all kinds of reasons why we don't feel hunger or why we think we need to eat when we really don't.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #156  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

Almost Me..thank you for the welcome. I think I need to stop trying to wing this myself and buy a book so i can do this with some structure. Yesterday I didn't fast and it felt like I went back to my old crappy ways....I felt so bloated at the end of the day....i feel so much better on days that I fast.....even if I am a bit discombobulated and hungry at night........
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #157  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostMe View Post
Hey y'all...
Yep, AlmostMe, you're for real...even spelled "y'all" right

If the food choices themselves hadn't given you away, the phrase "mess of grits" sure did!

Quote:
But I know what you mean...I don't like watermelon and prefer unsweet tea so I get my Southern credentials regularly challenged.
Looks like we must have been separated at birth - I don't eat watermelon either, and I generally drink unsweet tea as well. Although I must admit I do like it sweetened if it's done right, but most of the time it's too sweet. My husband has a cousin who makes the best sweet tea I've ever eaten - it has just a whisper of sweet to it. Just fantastic.

Quote:
Fried okra I really miss
I can imagine....

Quote:
Sausage biscuits. Dang. My biscuit making skills are POOR and of course you can't get them here. Well...you can buy biscuits - but they taste like cookies!!
You poor thing! Wish I could ship some to you! I don't make good biscuits either - hubby had an aunt that made the best doggone biscuits in the world! She tried to teach me how to do it but I just could never duplicate her success, even with the cast-iron skillet, the specific type of flower she used (Martha White, I think), the buttermilk, and the Snow Drift shortening! They would melt in your mouth.

I grew up in Biloxi (that's the Biloxi lighthouse in my avatar) so I didn't really eat as much "southern food" as most people growing up in the south. Our culinary delights were seafood based. I could eat my weight in boiled crabs to this day, and of course I love shrimp and oysters as well. I wasn't exposed to all the wide variety of fresh vegetables until I went away to school and really discovered them when I met my husband and his family, who ate more that way. Man, I remember the first family reunion - was a major pig-out fest for me! And since I'm Catholic and he's Baptist I had NEVER been to a "dinner on the grounds" - another feast!

So you've been in England for 16 years...that must have been quite an adjustment. One of my cousins from Biloxi married a guy from Norway (he was a pilot in the Norwegian Air Force and she met him when he was training in Mississippi). She's been there over 40 years, and she still talks with a Biloxi accent! Fortunately she gets home fairly often; I'm going to try and go to the MS coast in a few days because she's there right now visiting family. (I currently live in the Atlanta metro area) I last saw her in June when she came for my daughter's wedding...yep, we had a mess of Norwegians there!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #158  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zumbachica View Post
Almost Me..thank you for the welcome. I think I need to stop trying to wing this myself and buy a book so i can do this with some structure. Yesterday I didn't fast and it felt like I went back to my old crappy ways....I felt so bloated at the end of the day....i feel so much better on days that I fast.....even if I am a bit discombobulated and hungry at night........
Zumbachica - I agree with AlmostMe - combining IE with fasting - the two really aren't compatible. IE teaches you to "honor your hunger" whereas fasting doesn't do that. Your weight loss with the fasting is probably due more to eating less calories overall, and since you mention that you are consistently hungry at night I suspect that is so.

If you want to learn more about IE, I would suggest reading The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens. It's a free book available online in PDF form - just google Overfed Head pdf and it will come right up. You might also want to try and pick up Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works. (by Triblole & Resch) I'm reading it now and it's very detailed. I got it from my local library.

My first introduction to IE (although she doesn't call it that) was a little-known book called "I've Tried It All! Now What?" by Susanna Dee. You can google "Donut Whisperer" and her website will come right up. You can order it there.

There are a lot of other resources available as well. Just google "intuitive eating" and you'll find lots of stuff online to read.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #159  

Quote:
I think I need to stop trying to wing this myself and buy a book so i can do this with some structure.
The Overfed Head used to be my favorite book but now it is "I've Tried It All! Now What?" by Susanna Dee. She really lays it out in simple terms. When I first started fasting almost thirty years ago my weight problem actually got worse. So I don't do that anymore
Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #160  

Quote:
Yesterday I didn't fast and it felt like I went back to my old crappy ways....I felt so bloated at the end of the day...
Fasting does make you feel temporarily good but tends to lead to overeating later. Eating less everyday is the key.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #161  

Eating less everyday is sometimes hard to do but Susanna's book gives a lot of help and allows for tweaking. I don't have the book here right now but I'll try to put some quotes in that spoke to me
Old 03-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #162  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Eating less everyday is sometimes hard to do but Susanna's book gives a lot of help and allows for tweaking. I don't have the book here right now but I'll try to put some quotes in that spoke to me
CarolR, are you on Facebook? There's a "donut whisperer" group on there you can join if you are. It's not real active, but I enjoy it.

I am so glad you like the book! Even though I feel that I like Overfed Head better, looking back on it I think what I liked most about it was how it brought everything together for me. Filled in the gaps from Susanna's book.

They are both so easy to read.

I just checked out "I Can Make You Thin" by Paul McKenna from my local library. I learned about him from AlmostMe. Just started reading through it and I can tell it's going to be a lot like Susanna's book - just very straightforward.

The Tribole/Resch book is tedious. Too much information that really isn't necessary, IMO. Not super-impressed with it, but I'll finish it and take from it what I can.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #163  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hey, you southern gals, I'm one too. I was born and raised in TX, married an IN guy who lived in FL and lived there for a while (FL is a mixture of everybody) and then we moved here in SC. It's so nice to be back in the south and the 4 season which I love. I used to say I was not a good Southern gal because I did not like grits. Then my IN hubby taught me to eat them with a little bit of sugar (I use Stevia) and a little butter and they are good. My deceased hubby always ate them with salt and pepper and I think that is why I didn't like them. I do love watermelon, but it seems to have lost its place in my list of foods. Perhaps because when you "diet" it is never allowed. Now I can have it if I want it, but it is too expensive to me so I won't buy it.

As for fasting with IE, I did kind of a combo thing with that for a while, but it didn't last. The only thing that fasting did for me especially the Intermittent Fasting was it showed me that I really didn't have to have 3 meals a day and 3 snacks. It isn't going to kill me and the world isn't going to ome to an end if I skip a meal because I'm not hungry or if I wait and eat something an hour after I'm "supposed" to eat because that is when I am hungry. People cycle calories/carbs and play little games with their dieting. With IE, I can have breakfast if I want it or not eat it at all if I don't. I can eat when I get up (had a diet once that says "You must eat within an hour after getting out of bed in the morning), but I don't have too. Personally, I prefer getting dressed doing a few chores, then have a cup of coffee and I might have breakfast around 10 or 11. Have waited until noon to eat breakfast. IE makes things so much easier.

Can't get the book by Susanna right now, but I did print out some of her blog and thanks SouthernMaven for the heads up on the FB group. I joined that too.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #164  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I was typing and pc froze and my post went through before I was finished. I wanted to share a real IE accomplishment for me today.

I was up dressed and in the kitchen doing my regular morning routine and had the coffee on before I realized that I FORGOT TO WEIGHT myself. I have been so hooked on those stupid scales to the poing that I weighed every morning and evening and sometimes in between. I just couldn't shake the hold that stupid thing had on me. Funny thing is I felt so good about it and so free. I am eating so normal and I feel like that in due time the scale will move downward. I am just so happy to be free of that horrible obsession. And just had to share it with y'all.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #165  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

Hmmmm...I guess I have to decide which of the two I want to do..IF or IE.....I like the idea of doing IF first, just to get a grip on the amount of calories I'm taking in.....IE is really the goal though......I wonder if I could ever get to the point of being that in tune with my body. thanks for the book recommendations, I'm going to look for them at the library.
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote