General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #121  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina239 View Post
I am so intrigued by the idea of IF. Does anyone have any advice for getting started with this? Since stumbling upon this idea here on 3FC, I have gone to bed every night saying "tomorrow is the day I start", but then I get scared . . . and hungry, and another day goes by that I don't carry through. If anyone can give me a step by step of how you started or how to ease into it (if possible), please let me know! Good luck to all of you!!!
Well I'll assume that you're not eating in your sleep right? So you're got 7 to 8 hrs covered right there hopefully... Just skip breakfast and wait to eat till lunch time and its as simple as that...

But if you want to "ease into it"... Then try going 12hrs and just start gradually working up from there...

And yes it takes time to get use to... And yes you'll probably get "hungry"... But it's not the end of world... I know for me I just had to "tough it out" at first... But it really wasn't that bad...
Old 04-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 162.6/142.2/125

Height: 5'6"

Ack! I am NOT looking forward to getting on the scale today.

I've been at this since 3-29. It hasn't been hard! Making the good food choices has been pretty easy for me. Losing weight, feeling good!

Last night, I ate Digiorno Supreme Pizza. I was fine for calories. This morning I feel AWFUL. Bloated and bleh and just... yuck.

157.4 Pizza is definitely NOT worth this! F&%$*&@#

Last edited by kellelm; 04-11-2013 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Took the walk of shame to the scale.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #123  

Can anybody explain to me what happened? I was within my calorie count. Actually under a bit. Seems like having pizza really shouldn't have done this to me. I really feel awful and gained quite a bit.

I'll do some more exercising today and eat a bit less to try to make up for this. Good-bye, Pizza. I do love you.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #124  
Dawn, Age 47

S/C/G: 174/165/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellelm View Post
Can anybody explain to me what happened? I was within my calorie count. Actually under a bit. Seems like having pizza really shouldn't have done this to me. I really feel awful and gained quite a bit.

I'll do some more exercising today and eat a bit less to try to make up for this. Good-bye, Pizza. I do love you.
kellelm,

It's been a while since I've been on the forums, but back out of necessity...need the daily motivation and support.

I recently read "The Plan"...the author (a dietician/nutritionist) postulates that many foods will cause disproportional weight gain compared their caloric value based upon their inflammatory properties. Perhaps one or more of the components in pizza is inflammatory for you?

I have not done "The Plan" but do realize that there are certain foods that for me have the same effect. Maybe worth considering?

Dawn
Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #125  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:

Kellelm, many people on all of the various dieting plans have noticed that if they have adhered to eating healthy foods and then have something like a purchased pizza that they will have intestinal problems. It varies from person to person, but it's not uncommon. In terms of the weight gain, there is probably a lot of sodium in the pizza. For instance, a DiGiorno For One Pizza (i.e., a small personal pizza) has almost 1500 mg of sodium. Whenever you see a sudden weight gain (or loss) it's almost always water weight.

Hope you feel better.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #126  

Thanks for your reply, Dawn!

Your theory is very much worth considering, I'll look into it. All I've been able to find is maybe it's water retention. Something about the carbs and the sodium. I've been hoping that's what it is and tomorrow will be better!

Guess I'll just add pizza to my good-bye list along with my beloved potatoes.

Thanks, Dawn! I appreciate your time.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #127  

Thanks, Betsy! I appreciate your reply. I've been doing so well and Grrrrr!

Apparently I ate between 2000-2500mg of sodium. I hope it's just water retention! Uh... no more pizza.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #128  
I hate gravity

I wouldn't go so far as to tell you pizza is your poison, and to avoid it forever. Just remember you said you ate the pizza the night before you weighed yourself. It's not realistic to believe you gained fat because of what the scale showed. If you are like a lot of us and have scale stress, never weigh yourself after you had a heavy meal or a salty meal the night before, because the scale will knock you on the head. It's just not giving you an accurate reading.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #129  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina239 View Post
I am so intrigued by the idea of IF. Does anyone have any advice for getting started with this? Since stumbling upon this idea here on 3FC, I have gone to bed every night saying "tomorrow is the day I start", but then I get scared . . . and hungry, and another day goes by that I don't carry through. If anyone can give me a step by step of how you started or how to ease into it (if possible), please let me know! Good luck to all of you!!!
For me it's as simple as "go to bed, wake up, have coffee, listen to my stomach rumble, eat a huge lunch."

A 16/8 fast where you have an 8 hour "window" doesn't have to be scary! Maybe you eat between 12-8, or 11-7. I personally like 2-10 because I get the munchies. :P
Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #130  

Scale issues. Yes, BigSky, that's very much true. Over 2 pounds really knocked me on the head... or on my a$$. I'm going to cross my fingers, eat a bit less, do a little more moving today and sweat awhile in the hot tub.

Hopefully that'll help. And, thanks for taking the time to answer! Really appreciate it!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #131  
I hate gravity

Default What fasting plan are we following?

Anybody, I would love to have you share what type of fasting you are doing:

Five hour "window"
Eight hour "window"
5:2 Fast Diet
Alternate day (JUDDD)
Warrior Diet
Eat Stop Eat
Your own custom fasting plan

If you haven't heard of some of these, just Google them up. So who's doing what, and how's it working for you? Please share.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #132  

I do a 19:5. It's natural for me, so it wasn't very hard to get back into.

I watch my calories and have learned I should maybe not eat pizza LOL.

Probably not such a bad thing because I have ZERO sweet tooth. However, I did give up potatoes because I love, love, love them in every single size, shape and form they come and cannot seem to control myself.

I am LAZY and hate "exercise" in a formal form.

I'm working on a new mindset. Bear with me, I'm trying. Haven't done too bad for 2 weeks, in my own humble opinion.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #133  
I hate gravity

Funny you mention potatoes. On another website, in one of their fasting threads, they talk of a "potato fast". The theory is that if you eat nothing but potatoes (fat free) your body uses insulin to use up all those carbs. But since you aren't eating dietary fat, your liver will draw on fat stores to pull that insulin back out of the bloodstream. Some people report losing well doing this. But I'm not trying to start a new fad here. I thought it was interesting though.
BTW I myself go back and forth between Fast-5 (the 5 hour window thing), and Alternate Day Calorie Restriction. (JUDDD) I can't seem to decide which one is easier.

Last edited by BigSky; 04-11-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #134  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Scale issues. Yes, BigSky, that's very much true. Over 2 pounds really knocked me on the head... or on my a$$. I'm going to cross my fingers, eat a bit less, do a little more moving today and sweat awhile in the hot tub.

Hopefully that'll help. And, thanks for taking the time to answer! Really appreciate it!
I came across something recently that basically said that a 4lb range of water "weight" fluctuation from day to day is pretty normal... and personally, I see a 2 to 3lb change all the time and in fact I was up close to 3lbs this morning... Which of course p***ed me off... But I've seen it before and I know I'll see it again... But what I do is keep a running average of my weight over the last 7 days and average over the last month and then I can see that I haven't actually gained any real weight....
Old 04-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #135  

LOL Well, when I say potatoes... I mean a baked potato smothered in sc, cheese, butter, bacon bits, cheese, onions, ranch, blah, blah. I mean a huge order of McD's fries, with ketchup. Mmmm or Culver's fries. Or 15 servings of super mashed and gravy. Real ones only, thanks. Or fried slices in bacon grease. Or an entire bag of chips and dip at one sitting. Or fried tater skins. I could eat a meal of different potatoes. Or 10.

Drool... but that's what I mean by potatoes. A plain potato... eh, I'd rather not. It's the other stuff that makes them nummy!

Last edited by kellelm; 04-11-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Errr... I can spell.
Closed Thread