General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/233/175

Height: 5'8"

Question This is a video regarding "cheat days" or as I call them "free days"

This is a interesting video (short clip) regarding eating non-planned foods one day a week. Pay particular attention to the part where he talks about how when you go overboard with foods (calories) on your free day that your metabolism kicks into overdrive to compensate by up to 9% more. I wonder if that is true? Thoughts? Is there any scientific proof or just more propaganda?

I personally always have a free day every week and it doesn't seem to bother me, but I do know all people are different. What works for one may not for another.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/330649
jefferzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 169/ticker/140

Height: 5.4

Sounds lovely,

But my diet doesn't consist of special cooked meals. Meaning that i eat whatever i cook for my daughter all week. What she eats i eat in a small quantity.....so i don't have something in particular to look forward too since i eat almost everything. My trigger food is spaghetti and sauce with feta cheese. I can eat that for breakfast, lunch, brunch, and dinner......THAT much. So i might try to give me a free day in spaghetti? I miss them a lot. I don't make them because i know i binge with them, so my daughter gets no spaghetti either......Or i might try a free day in sweets? Although i feel that sweets are a bit too much because i have been off of them for more than a week and i am afraid that if i start on chocolate again i will never stop........

I think i'll try a spaghetti free day.....that's what i am gonna call it......yummy........
Ellemphriem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I didn't watch the video, but it goes without saying that the free day still has to have some moderation as you can wipe out an entire week's worth of progress with one day of going hog wild.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 246/233/175

Height: 5'8"

@Elle - I wish my diet was more like that... But I am trying to get completely away from processed foods as much as possible. I'm willing to bet your food selections would be a LOT easier for me to stick to. LOL@spaghetti day... I almost always go for pasta on Saturdays and breadsticks (yum), unless i'm having a burger attack. Luckily, I have never been a sweets person, just always a bread, cheese and pasta addict!

@Berry - I agree with you it definitely can't be overdone. Luckily the foods I eat during the week have shrunk my stomach so small that it's really hard to go over my calorie limits even though I am not watching the foods I am eating. Just goes to show that moderation is key!! Also, the few times I have overeaten my body was real fast to let me know. I felt miserable all day.

Thank you both for your replies
jefferzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
I didn't watch the video, but it goes without saying that the free day still has to have some moderation as you can wipe out an entire week's worth of progress with one day of going hog wild.
I agree 100%.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #6  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

Couldn't watch the video, but I do eat pasta, bread or rice on Saturdays. I cheat for one meal. I notice I always end up weighing 1 to 1 1/2 lbs more at the end of weekend. The hubby eats anything he wants all day on Saturdays. He has not started working out yet and his losses are on par or greater than mine sometimes. I only have about 4 pounds to go but might consider skipping my cheat for a couple of weeks cause it is getting hard now.

Last edited by chubbiegurl; 01-27-2013 at 08:02 PM.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I don't have "cheat" days anymore. I have sometimes life happens days.

A few years ago when my youngest son got married, I knew, food wise, it would be a challenge. So, I made up my mind, that food wise, I would watch portions, and stay away from really bad stuff, but would have cake, and few drinks and enjoy the celebration!

Last night, my Dh and I went out for supper, to the local Lions Club Rocky Mountain Oyster feed. This is for a local charitable organization, and a huge community event. RMO's are not healthy, the way they are cooked, deep fat fried and breaded, but I planned all week for this. Skipped the potatoes, skipped the baked beans, salad and RMO's! It was yummy!

For those of you who do not know what rocky mountain oysters are, they are breaded and deep fat fried bull testicles.

Anyway, I decided to give up the notion of a "cheat" day. I work things into my plan. I know that on any given day, things can go south in a hurry, so I keep that in mind, and try to have a back up plan, even given that, some days, just go south, so you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and move on!

For instance, 2 weeks ago, I did not expect to get invited to go to Pizza Hut for supper with my youngest son and his wife and granddaughter, but it happened. It was actually hilarious, as right out of the gate, the waiter spilled a whole glass of tea down my front. Thankfully, I had a change of clothes in the car, so I went and changed and it was all good. I ate 2 slices of pizza and salad. Had a good time. Then we got $15 off the meal, for the spillage! Made sure the next day, I got in some extra steps. The family time, was worth, putting in a few extra steps for one day.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #8  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcirerf View Post

For instance, 2 weeks ago, I did not expect to get invited to go to Pizza Hut for supper with my youngest son and his wife and granddaughter, but it happened. It was actually hilarious, as right out of the gate, the waiter spilled a whole glass of tea down my front. Thankfully, I had a change of clothes in the car, so I went and changed and it was all good. I ate 2 slices of pizza and salad. Had a good time. Then we got $15 off the meal, for the spillage! Made sure the next day, I got in some extra steps. The family time, was worth, putting in a few extra steps for one day.
Wow a whole drinks spilled on you should have gotten u guys a free meal. Had a waiter drop our mozzarella sticks, not on us but on the floor and they gave us a 10 dollar discount.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote