is it possible to lose weight using laxatives

• i had a guy tell me he used tons of laxatives and used to be over weight but hes thin now so he did lose weight i guess? but he also cant stop taking them because he cant go to the bathroom now without them after years of abusing them. just curious if thats how he actually lost the weight since its suppose to be a myth that laxatives make you lose weight.

also if you can lose weight from it, i was wondering if there is a none harmful way like taking it once a week and losing body fat and not just water?

im mostly just curious and not going to run out and buy a few boxes and hole up in the bathroom..lol since it has always seemed pretty crazy to me.
  • I'm not a doctor. Still, I think it's safe to say that abusing drugs, even over-the-counter ones, to lose weight is not a good idea. If you give yourself chronic diarrhea, you might weigh a few pounds less, just as anyone might sometimes lose some weight when they are sick. You might also end up dehydrated or with a dangerous electrolyte imbalance.

That's the point: you'd be making yourself sick, intentionally. Does that sound like a good idea?

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but I think it's really important that we stay focused on HEALTHY ways to get healthy. We deserve to lose weight AND feel good, and I don't think this particular idea will help any of us do that.
  • i know about the health stuff and general ridiculousness of abusing laxatives. its honestly just a question though. not planning on trying it.

honestly i think if you could take it once a week or 2 and have proven benefits and actual weight loss i think anyone would do it though. but more than that i think common sense would kick in and alert you that its a dumb idea.

so i mean in a lesser abusive way of it. i doubt taking it that infrequently could cause adverse health affects or millions of people would be dropping dead on their toilets right now.

mostly wondering if there could be a benefit even in a small amount of use. and either way this is a question based on curiosity and not a "im going to run out and do this or do this and take 60 laxatives a day!" question.

so far i have lost weight the normal way and will continue on the same but i can wonder things as i go even if i dont plan on making use of everything i ask.
  • Pretty much common sense here.

Can't help but ask...What's the story behind your username? deadkittens? paints a very disturbing picture...
  • Laxatives will not aide in your weight loss and considering the unpleasant side effects I would not recommend this. Even occasional use such as you are describing will cause your body to become dependent on them. Instead you should focus on eating a healthy diet with lots of fruit and veggies, drink plenty of water and your body will eliminate any waste naturally.
  • I have done some research through one of my psychology internships and learned about things such as laxatives. Laxatives only clears away the waste that is in your intestines and really has nothing to do with losing weight. It prevents the body from absorbing the nutrients from the food being digested because the food does not have adequate time to break down into things that your body needs, including "fat." I have personally talked with people who have abused laxatives, and it is addicting if a person decides to go that route. Laxative over-usage can damage your intestines and your colon if used more than the recommended dosage and time frame. Your body is a wonderful creation, and naturally losing weight through healthy eating and exercise is the best and healthy way to go.

Hope this information helps.
  • I think that is a good summary, it isn't healthy and can result in possible permanent damage. I am going to close this thread as we don't support unsafe methods here.