"Real Food" and low carb, but not a "system"

• Looking for some people who are eating "real food". By "real food" I am meaning, food that does not have a long ingredient list, or that contains fake sweeteners, fake carbs etc. Sort of a "Nourishing Traditions" meets "Paleo" with dairy added. I am eating very low carb, but not doing a commercial program. If anyone else is eating low carb, but doing it with natural foods, I would like to start a thread with you. Or if there is a group or thread for this that I did not find in my search, I would appreciate being pointed in that direction.
    So far I have been doing this for 9 days, and logging all of my food in a journal. I am using Paleo blogs, a book called "Real Food" by Nina Planck, "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon and blogs that sort of follow these ideas.
  • There's a forum for Low Carbs not following a specific plan.

I'm doing it too, but I usually post in the PCOS forum, rather than the Low Carb forum. There's others there doing Primal and Paleo.
  • Here is the link to the forum:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/
  • there is also a forum called 'Whole Foods" but it includes higher carb things like whole grains and all fruits (in general). The idea is to eat minimally processed foods.
  • Thanks!
  • You're doing pretty much exactly what I'm doing. Good luck!
  • That is exactly what I'm doing. Also your diet sounds kind of like Mark Sisson's primal blueprint diet. Whole foods but if you want to lose weight you need to go low carb. He has a curve that shows how many carbs a day for maintaining, how many for losing and how many for "insidious" weight gain.
  • You don't need to go low carb to lose weight. Some people do for various reasons.
  • Sorry Nelie - you are correct. I meant to say "on the primal blueprint plan" you need to go low carb to lose weight - if you are doing it for health maintanance, he suggests moderate carbs. So if you are eating richer healthy fat foods as on a very primal diet, you probably do need to compensate but limiting your high glycemic sugars. Anyway, since the original poster is doing low carb - I just thought I'd point out where she may find some support for her version of an eating plan.

But you are right, you don't necessarily have to go low carb to lose weight.
  • Also, Dali, I work with a nutritionist who has me on a plan that sounds EXACTLY what you are doing. Her website has free recipes and stuff and great blog entries:

www.catesnutrition.com

There is a lot of helpful free info there.

Like you - I don't eat any crud. Whole real foods. I've learned not to be scared of high quality fats (including grass-fed butter). I lose weight when I keep the carbs low. I only eat carbs in the form of fruits/vegetables, greek yogurt and vinegar. I keep my fruits low (usually one servicing of fruit or sweet potato a day) and that helps with weight loss. I'm not scared of healthy foods I used to be scared of - like avacado anymore.
  • Its funny that you mention avocados, I eat a higher carb plan but calorie count and concentrate on whole foods. Avocados were on sale the other day and I've been eating nearly an avocado every day. Smoothies, massaged kale salad, regular old salads, guacamole with celery as a dipper.
  • Quote: Looking for some people who are eating "real food". By "real food" I am meaning, food that does not have a long ingredient list, or that contains fake sweeteners, fake carbs etc. Sort of a "Nourishing Traditions" meets "Paleo" with dairy added. I am eating very low carb, but not doing a commercial program. If anyone else is eating low carb, but doing it with natural foods, I would like to start a thread with you. Or if there is a group or thread for this that I did not find in my search, I would appreciate being pointed in that direction.
    So far I have been doing this for 9 days, and logging all of my food in a journal. I am using Paleo blogs, a book called "Real Food" by Nina Planck, "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon and blogs that sort of follow these ideas.
    I'm doing the same thing. What blogs are you using?
  • I am so horribly allergic to avocado. My eyes itch. My tongue swells. It isn't pretty. When I started this, just weeding through all the primal recipes that called for it took forever.