General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 171/160/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
I'm another person who has recently been converted to a low sugar diet. I love it so far. I've avoided soda, juice, sweet tea, and other sugary beverages for years now but just this past month I've been eliminating all refined sugar.

It's definitely a work in progress but I've already noticed that the less sugar I eat, the better I feel. I still eat other carbs including whole grain bread (I like the Ezekiel brand), vegetables, and fruit but have cut out white bread, rice, pasta, and refined sugar.

I can't believe all of the places sugar is hidden! Peanut butter, yogurt, salad dressing, crackers... it's crazy! One of the best things about eliminating refined sugar is that you automatically start buying less processed and more whole foods.

One other thing I've noticed-- in the past month, I haven't lost weight on the scale but I'm down in inches. Especially around my waist. Has anyone else noticed this?
YES!! Some weeks I have not lost any weight, but the inches are smaller. I know I shouldn't get on the scale as much as I do, but I can't help it. I try to focus on the inches lost vs the pounds. (easier said than done)
tonyamartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 405 / 298 / 150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyamartin View Post
YES!! Some weeks I have not lost any weight, but the inches are smaller. I know I shouldn't get on the scale as much as I do, but I can't help it. I try to focus on the inches lost vs the pounds. (easier said than done)
I'm glad someone else has noticed this! I was starting to doubt myself, thinking I must have been holding the measuring tape wrong before and it was all an illusion because the scale just isn't budging. But my clothes definitely feel looser and even my wedding ring is starting to feel loose.

I don't know if it's just that I'm losing bloat because I stopped eating sugar or if it's fat loss/muscle gain, but I like it!
MapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #18  

Morning! I have not been on in a while...I apologize. Life tends to go in spurts around here, and lately I have been catching myself coming and going. I finally got back down into the garagio and back to throwing. (the garagio is my studio...I am a potter) The weight lifting has DEFINITELY helped the throwing. I am much stronger and centering and suck is much easier than it was. I am throwing larger with less effort. I still am not seeing much difference in my weight, blood sugar levels, or inches lost, but I am pleased with the strength issues. And my husband and I have been playing raquetball once a week. Its an intense game and a lot of fun...couldn't have done that three months ago.

I am on huge cup of espresso #2 trying to get up and going this morning. It has not helped yet.

MAPLELEAF: That is very common to lose inches before it shows up on the scale...don't doubt yourself, just keep on track! Some folks would see nothing on the scale nothing, nothing, then have a big drop all of a sudden. I hope that is the case with you.

TONYAMARTIN: Hello! Nice to 'meet' you!

Off to get ready for a raquetball game with my hubby....
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #19  

Had a good dinner of chicken breast cooked in olive oil with spinach for dinner. Think I'm making chinese beef and broccoli tonight with brown rice.

Ellen- Can't believe you're playing racket ball thats so awesome. You're amazing.

Mapleleaf- The inches are great. Thats a true way of telling you're losing weight.

tonyamartin-Its hard to stay off the scale.

Back to having coffee and then maybe a bowl of shedded wheat with skim milk.
Toni48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #20  

Can someone tell the difference (in a nutshell) between Sugar Busters and South Beach? Am I asking in the wrong place? I've had success with Atkins but would like to find a less restrictive and more long term approach and firmly believe getting rid of sugar is essential.
Thank you!
Texcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #21  

TEXCOLLINS: Yes, I think I can. South Beach is two phases..the first is essentially Atkins, and the second is essentially Sugarbusters. They are both low GI diets, which restrict the empty carbs like sugar, white bread, potatoes and corn. So doing Sugarbusters is like starting out on phase two of South Beach. If you have questions, I would be happy to try and help. I did Sugarbusters for years. Right now, I do more of an Atkins to try and control blood sugar issues. I agree with you...sugar is about evil in my book. I just can't handle any of it...in any form.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #22  

I meant to get here before now and try and be more regular about posting... Yesterday I went to the Y and lifted 73,455 pounds. I was jello last night. Everything ached. I had to take four ibuprofen before I got in bed so I could sleep! And I woke up exactly four hours later when it wore off! I was able to go back to sleep without getting up, which was a blessing. I feel better today.

I am off to Chicago next Monday for my niece's wedding. I am making the cake. I am a bit nervous about it, as its going to be cold, and the timing is going to be tight. I can set up the cake at 2, but the wedding is 20 minutes away at 3. The reception isn't until later, but it will be hard to go set it up after the wedding too. I may have to beg the reception hall to let me set up a bit earlier so I don't chance being late for the wedding.

And I am hoping and praying there will be no snow...being a Georgia gal, I do not have boots, and such for that event. ug! I am wishing she had waited two months so the weather might be nicer!!!

Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #23  

Morning. Just having my coffee and getting ready to start my day. Eating could be better. I'm thinking about doing something drastic to make me get started in the right direction. Stepped on my scale and the battery is dead so have to see if I have one to replace it.

Ellen- You're doing so good. I'll bet the cake will be beautiful and I'm hopeing you have good weather. I can't imagine how good your exerciseing should be making you feel. After the soreness is over. LOL....

Texcollins- Welcome to our little corner of the world. Hope you keep on posting.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #24  

Morning! Anyone around anymore? Back from the wedding...it went well. It did snow a lot, and my sister in Boston got snowed in with that big blizzard and was unable to come to the wedding.

MIL is coming this afternoon, so I am cleaning. I wish I was not such a slob! Then I would not have to do a huge amount of work before company came. I just cleaned off my desk and it was so easy, I wonder why it took me months to do it? sigh....

Eating is good, and back to the Y now that I am back. Weight is not budging tho.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #25  

Had cataract surgery this week. I'm seeing so much better. Glad its over except for those darn drops I have to keep putting in. Eating has been okay. Steve's daughter sent a box full of stuff from Trader Joes this week. Can't wait to try the pineapple salsa.

Ellen- We just had to clean for Grandson coming. I was thinking why did I wait till company comes before doing stuff. Glad the wedding went well and you didn't get snowed out. Your cake looked beautiful.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #26  

I'm new and I have a question for you all.. Does everybody stick to the eat fruit a half hour before or 2 hours after other food? I wonder then, are protein shakes I make with plain yogurt or kefir and fruit or pomegranate juice legal? Also has anyone here tried kombucha? It's a fermented tea with probiotics with added fruit juice, but no sugar?
Daisyheadmaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #27  

Hi Daisy! I never have followed the eat fruit 1/2 to 2 hours before other food rule, and did just fine. It is an interesting concept, but I never noticed any problems with fruit putrefying in my gut and giving me indigestion when I ate it with other foods. And like you, I would mix fruit with kefir and water to make a protein drink (added whey protein to that) and it never bothered me. I think that is one rule you can fudge on and not worry about. I have not tried kombucha, but I am going to look for it. I love tea and love trying new kinds.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #28  

I wanna join! I myself am starting to cut down on sugar (the fact that I love to read labels helps a lot!), and I am already seeing the scale moving down As soon as I buy the sugar busters book (which is gonna be reeeally soon), I am gonna start a life style change. Let's see how much I lose then

Last edited by SailorD; 04-02-2013 at 11:01 PM.
SailorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #29  

Hi Sailor! Sorry this thread is so slow. There are a few of us who check in once in a while...and it might could be more lively if more folks join! I started on Sugarbusters over ten years ago and still follow a lot of the principles it is based on. I think sugar is probably one of the greatest dietary evils we have to deal with! You are going to love it when you have the habit kicked to the curb for good! I too love reading labels! My husband has to eat gluten free and I am allergic to eggs...and we both are supposed to avoid corn. Label reading is essential! Its really hard to avoid all that stuff! Let me know if I can help in anyway.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #30  

Thank you Ellen! I am still trying to kick the habit, but I still live with my parents, who have a really sweet tooth, so I am surrounded by cookies and candy daily. Thank God is actually getting easier to say "no" every day

Last edited by SailorD; 04-08-2013 at 12:25 PM.
SailorD is offline   Reply With Quote