General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180.2/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

Default Doing Child like portions for 30 days

Well I'm back and pretty much the same weight I was when I was trying to lose 50 lbs a few years ago. Doing diet after diet and You get the picture.

I have literally spent this time loosing the same 5 to 10 lbs over and over. going as high as 183 down to 172. frustrating to say the least, When I was a size 6 feeling great then stress and menopause hit and it was game over, back came 50lbs.

Now I was never a true skinny person been chunky as a kid (diets started in the third grade, twiggy was in ,fat was out. Now in my teens I pretty much stayed at 165 but even in the early 70's it was imposable to get clothes I had to go to large women. (oh am 5'5 in height) so looking back I was overweight but not really as horrible as society made it out to be back then.

After having children, most of my adult life I would get to the top 190's then diet down. kinda like a built in trigger that said enough when I saw that 190 number. Got skinny a number of times thru the misery of dieting.

Now at 54 dieting is no longer an option don't want to do it count it spend every day wondering what to eat, when to eat, Is it in the house to eat.
Jumping on the scale. Done no more.

Saw my sister early this year haven't seen her in almost 8 years. Shes 2 1/2 years older then me and has always been shinny. Well I felt like a pig again around her and know i looked older and worn out then her. I physically felt it to.

Being home we had sit down dinners at the table. I notice right off looking at my sisters plate (as we sat next to each other) we ate the same food, But she put half the amount on her plate then I did, She ate till full and there was still a lot left on her plate. Heck I cleaned my plate and went for seconds. Well gosh no wonder I'm twice the size of her. She had her share of junk food but not in huge amounts, I on the other hand always had more.

Now after being on diets and always restricted food or denying food may be the reason I'm obsessed with food and need large amount to feel good. Don't know. I have tried to figure out the answer to the question Why me? Why am I the fat one? Don't know. Over eating? Probably.

So Saturday I started eating smaller portions. I slice of pizza instead of 4. Yes I was wanting more.

Sunday morning went ahead and got on the scale to see what it read 174.8 lbs.

So for the next 30 days I'm going to do child like portions at each meal. I'm not restricting any food. If I feel hungry after a few hours then I'll eat something. I think or hoping that I well learn to eat normally if I do this for the 30 days and that I well naturally loose the weight.

I'm sure a lot of you are thinking that of course you well lose weight your not eating as much. Yes your right But this is about doing it with out being on any diet that tells you how and what to eat. This is about eating normally and not eating twice or three times the amount of food that my body needs.

I well try to list the foods I eat daily and how much. There will be am sure a lot of crappy food. On my food budget we buy cheap food, I know the cost of eating or trying to eat all natural foods, and I cant afford it.

As i said this is a 30 day see how it works, see if I can learn to live on normal portions and if I lose any weight.

kk this is day 3 and I'm getting hungry so will go have lunch. Be back later or in the morning
surfnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230 lbs/ 227.4 lbs/ 135 lbs

Height: 5'7"

this i think is an awesome idea as long as u do have the willpower to keep the portions small. I read to eat slower as well, it gives you brain time to receive the "Im full" message. That way too you can enjoy it more.

I hope it works for you and I cant wait to keep reading how you're doing. Im counting calories and calorie cycling, so I need to write everything down or I go way overboard.

Oh I also read use smaller plates.

Good luck!
kellrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #3  

Default Day 4

Kellrell thank u for the support and the ideas. Hope the calorie cycling is working for you, I did the Juddd and really like it, plus alternate day dieting. Good BBS documentary on youtube.

Yesterday went well but found myself with the night hunger thing and did some grazing on little bits here there. Grazing I'm sure is my number one enemy.

With my food yesterday I had half a pizza pocket at lunch the other half at 3pm Normally I could take out the box of 2 whole ones lol

dinner 1 slice toast w/butter egg and 2 slices bacon, Now double that for what i use to eat.
Also had a couple small bowls of grapes,

night eating.. pkg of cheese crackers, 2 snack size snickers bars and 2 more small squares choc. Yes I do the sweet then have to have salt then sweet. bad habit to get away from.

Now on most days I could easily doubled or tripled that amount of food and my goal here is to get use to eating smaller portions and yes make wiser choices down the road.

The main thing is yesterday is gone and time to move on today.

Really wanted to jump on the scale this morning, but need to stay off it. I know myself to well that if it would have gone up an oz I would have said screw this lol that's just how my mind works. Think I'll give it more time maybe halfway in to see if this is going to work for me.

Ok have a great day all bbl or tomorrow with how day 4 went
Old 09-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #4  

This sounds a lot like intuitive eating of which there is a thread right here under General Diet Plans. It's kind of slow right now but has been here a few years.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #5  

That is awesome. sounds like ur moving along with it.

Night snacking and grazing... I am right there with you. I have found tho, as I have a sweet tooth, that a nice bowl of fruit at about 8 helps curb wanting chocolate.
Just an idea. I calculated all the calories for it and my bowl (which is strawberries, grapes, one banana, and raspberries) is only 180 calories. Just a thought

Keep going tho! Sounds like ur doing it. takes a lot of willpower. Cant wait to see ur next post
Old 09-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #6  

Default Day 5

Good Morning
carolr3639 thank you for the input about intuitive eating. What I'm doing is not that, I am a big time grazer and have tried intuitive eating, read about it watched vids on it. I am going back to structure eating times and small meals like the good old fashion days I do enjoy reading all the threads here and what is working for people, makes me feel good for people that find what works and for some of us the search is still going on.

kellrell a good snack at night is banana ice cream, when I was doing the 80 10 10 way of eating I was freezing my bananas right when they got ripe. I would take the frozen banana mash it up and eat it best ice cream in the world

Yesterday had half avocado for breakfast the other half mid morning.
husband brought in jack in the box taco's no problem I thought I'll have one instead of 8 lol this was at 3pm. Well at 3:30 I ate 2 more should have stopped at 1 more, I felt stuffed half an hour later and heart burn blaaa.

Didn't get hungry again till around 8pm had a whole avocado then 10pm a snack size snickers bar and another one before bed at 11.00 am.

So it really wasn't a bad bad day, but still lacked the structure I'm going for.

I spent a lot of yesterday watching the fat doctor on youtube about gastric bypass. First off I thank God that my eating is not that out of control. I can relate to the driving force of hunger, and the need to eat and how easy it would be to get to that size.
Now why was I watching these? I want to know what and how much food these people have to live on the rest of their lives.

Doctors put thousands if not millions of people on small meals and vitamins that are healthy for people that have a stomach the size of an egg. And it is protein based. After watching these people, and how healthy they were living on small amounts I started searching for the actual diet that they live on. Below is a link to a pdf file that is hospital instructions on how and what to eat if you have the surgery. And below that is the link to the alternate day BBS documentary I watched.

http://evans.amedd.army.mil/ncd/PDFs...%20Booklet.pdf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfna7nV7WaM

fat doctor link in case you want to watch it, It is graphic and shows the surgery (during the commercial breaks the screen does go black just keep playing it continues )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2fycNd4y7w

So if thousands of people can be healthy on small meals and very few calories, then I see no reason why I can't. And the plus on my part would be no surgery, my body would still be able to absorb all the good protein and vitamins. The con's would be no small stomach to stop me from gorging.

So yea something to think about. And I won't kill myself doing it.

So today I'm going to sit down and come up with meal times and my night snack time and work toward set eating times and stay with the smaller amounts.
Like I said a few days ago I don't want to count, measure and stress over numbers with food anymore. Plus I have all the numbers branded on my brain for doing it so long lol. I can pretty much eye ball 1/2 cup a table spoon ect...

Going shopping Sunday so working on my list of small size options for meals.

kk been long winded here, just some interesting stuff to ponder and wanted to share.

Have a Great Day

Last edited by surfnmom; 09-19-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #7  

There is an eating plan called, "The No S Diet". You eat your meals on a salad plate and you eat 3 meals a day. No snacking or eating sweets except on Sat. & Sun., or on a special occasion. You can find their website by googling no s diet.
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #8  

aleka hi, I've tried that to. I can not stick to a diet that has you eating this way that way this day that day. All I do is think about what I can't have how much I'm going to have, and so on. I have lived my life on diets since i was 7 years old, a doctor put me on it. I don't want to live that way anymore.

I do know that eating the big meals and grazing all the time is my down fall. So that is why I'm trying this for 30 days.

I am not buying any low fat foods or diet foods. (ther are acouple things i do like better then the real thing thats diet soda and sf french vanella coffee creamer that I use in my afternoon coffee). I am just going to have small amounts of food. What I cook, or bring in. I know the processed food are high in calories, cheap to buy, and taste good. But I do like real 1 ingredient foods like meat, veg, fruit, and will hopefully have most of my meals with real foods.
and I plan on having a real sugar snack at the end of the day.

This is 30 days of just trying to cut back and see if that's enough to drop some of this added weight. or not to gain anymore back. No rules to follow.

I am in great health, no pills to take. I go next month for my yearly and have kept my lab test to compare from last year.
I walk at least 8-10 miles a week and have my treadmill for the winter months.
I just hate this hanging globs of fat that get in my way and the bigger tent like clothes. And I really Hate that my entire life has been centered around dieting LOL It's time to get on with life

Last edited by surfnmom; 09-19-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #9  

Ok I going to start listing what i eat through out the day and then put what I normally would have ate so everyone can see what am doing. I'm not counting calories or carbs I'm changing the amount.

Today's foods...........................vs................ .old way eating
...below.......................................... ...................below.....
11:30am
1 whole egg plus 1 egg white.......................2 fried eggs in butter
1/2 piece toast ..........................................2 toast with alot of
small amount jelly......................................butter, 4 slices bacon
(left some food on the plate)....................clean the plate and eat
.................................................. .........something sweet after.

Last edited by surfnmom; 09-19-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #10  

Hi Cheryl, I hear you about being obsessed with food while on a diet. That happened to me everytime I joined WW. Good luck with your plan.
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #11  

Not a bad day at all. Good going....
Frozen banana mashed up.... I like the idea. think i mgiht try it!!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #12  

Quote:
kellrell a good snack at night is banana ice cream, when I was doing the 80 10 10 way of eating I was freezing my bananas right when they got ripe. I would take the frozen banana mash it up and eat it best ice cream in the world
My favorite is frozen bananas, watermelon, and peaches blended like ice cream. One fruit should not be frozen. For me that is usually the peaches. No sugar needed.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #13  

Just a quickie, yesterday went good. Will be off line for a little while have some busy days ahead. Well get an update in when I get a chance. KK got to run have a great day everyone.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #14  

Well thought i would drop in and let u know what I have been up to.

I read the book wheat belly, good book. I was struggaling eating small portions. I was getting obsessed with food like aleka mention. I found I was counting calories in my head, it was what happens everytime I try to change my eating.

So after I read the book I decide to take wheat out of my life. Now I know, I have something in my diet that is causing me grief. stuffed up bloatie face alot of other things to. Dont know if it was eggs, dairy, wheat, something.
Anyway I took wheat and only wheat out of my diet.

WELL cravings stoped, obsessing stoped, the bloatie stuffy face is feeling much better, naping at 3pm has stoped, mind fog is clearing up. And I am naturally eating smaller amounts.

Got on the scale this morning and weighed 171.8 a loss of 3 lbs.

I go to the doctors at the end of the month, and I well have him send me to another doctor and get tested for food alergies.

So I well keep this up and post whats going on. I know one thing I need to shop because wheat has been put into everything unreal.

kk everyone have a good day
Old 10-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #15  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I think that's a really good idea. Thanks for sharing that. I might try it, too.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote