General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/209/140

Height: 5'3

Arrow How To Eat Fast Food?

Hello everyone

So, we all have moments where we eat out. Might be twice a day, twice a month, or twice a year. Regardless, I'd like to hear what healthy choices you make when you step outside for your breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I'm definitely not judging, because I depend on food from outside since I cannot cook at home. So let's hear it
CurlyGirl2507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/208/140

Height: 5'4

I eat out a lot, as in I ate out three times yesterday. I've just started my weight loss journey (again) 3 weeks ago and I don't have a lot of time to cook. When I do eat out I try to check the nutrition guide for the place that I am going to buy from because I've found that what seems healthy to me can actually be very fattening and high in calories.

Yesterday I had:
Breakfast at Starbucks: Grande Chai Tea latte (forgot to order non fat milk) and a spinach breakfast wrap. I believe this combination has around 600 calories.

Lunch was Taco Bell: Steak Cantina bowl... I also think this has around 600 calories... I usually get the veggie one which has ~500. Getting the burrito adds 200 calories so I stick with the bowl.

Dinner was Arbys: French Dip sandwich + lettuce, tomato, and onion.

I usually eat out say 5 times a week total, yesterday was a really off day but some of my fast food choices are:

Wendy's: Apple pecan salad, chili

Chick-fil-a: Chargrilled sandwich, Any salad -cheese w/ non fat honey mustard, Chargrilled wrap -cheese with non fat honey mustard

Zaxby's: House salad w/ grilled chicken -fried onions & cheese with low fat vineragrette

O'Charleys: Tilapia with veggie side, I try to get spinach instead of rice

Applebees has an under 550 calorie menu.

Ihop as an under 600 calorie section.

Subway has the under 6 grams of fat section.

Just to be clear, I listed these as ideas but this food isn't particularly healthy... they are just things I get when I'm in a rush and can't go home or when I'm out with friends and know that a burger and fries aren't the best choice for me.
111707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/209/140

Thank you for taking the time out to respond I know a lot of people either will judge me for asking this question, or simply not respond at all.

With that being said, I agree. Eating out is generally a bad idea. But for now, I'm going to try and find healthier choices than a deluxe burger with french fries and soda lol. Wendy's and Subway are two locations near my apartment, aside from McDonalds.
CurlyGirl2507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Whenever it's possible, I check menus online before I go out and make my selections in advance. When that's not possible, I tend to stick to shrimp, chicken or turkey. I avoid anything fried or breaded. I substitute vegetables for more calorie laden sides. For example, if a meal comes with a mashed potatoes and steamed veggies, I skip the mashed potatoes and ask for a double order of veggies instead. If the place I go has large servings, I ask for a take out box at the same time my meal is served and I put half of my meal away immediately. I also ask for olive oil and vinegar as my salad dressing to avoid hidden calories there.

I eat out a lot. I travel one week a month for business so there are some things that I just have memorized and some restaurants that I prefer. I like Applebee's because they have a Weight Watchers and an Under 550 calories sections on their menus. Subway has a online calculator where you can figure out how many calories your sandwich will have, including the fixins. I know that an Egg McMuffin 300 calories, a Ham Egg and Cheese Croissanwich at Burger King is 320 calories. A Taco Bell Burrito Supreme is 420 calories.

It's possible to eat out, enjoy yourself and lose weight.

Last edited by Garnet2727; 09-15-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I used to own a calorie counting book which had all the calories from the major restaurants. Now I just generally know the best 2-3 choices from most fast food places, and look up the rest online.

So I suggest counting the calories online (maybe you have a smart phone?)
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #6  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

I normally stick to Subway for fast food restaurants. The "healthy" (I use that term EXTREMELY lightly) choices at more traditional fast food joints just aren't worth it to me. As everyone else seems to do, I try to choose something based off an online menu if one is available, or stick to appetizer size meals at sit-down restaurants.

Last edited by pinksparkles; 09-15-2012 at 06:40 PM.
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #7  

Height: 5'9"

I know how many calories are in most things at the fast food places I eat. I know they aren't healthy, but there are a few days a week where I am not home and do not have access to a fridge or stove, on the go. I eat Subway, I eat Taco Bell, I eat at Long John Silver's. But I usually eat the same things. Before I went gluten free, I used to eat the ultimate chicken grill from Wendy's. I also eat the baja or chicken apple pecan salads, but half size. I also eat the small chili and side salads. I have the shrimp scampi fresh side grille meal at LJS, and I eat the tostada and pintos n' cheese at Taco Bell (those are gluten free). It is not ideal, but knowing the calorie counts of things before you go can help you stay in control.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:50 AM   #8  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

being up here in alaska we dont have alot of fast food options....in this town, it's mcdonalds or subway....taco bell closed a long time ago here anyhow if i'm eating out i like to get the mcdonalds salads and a diet soda...i looked it up and the salads are around 300 calories i think

for me, where i live and work, and my schedule...it's just as easy to run next door to safeway and buy a veggie steamer package and microwave it at work than it is to drive through mcdonalds for something....but that's just where i live in a small town and i know that's different elsewhere
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

Knowledge is power. There are a couple fast food places that I like and I went online and looked at their calorie count. Taco Bell, I eat their pintos and cheese with a chicken or steak gordita. Wendy's chili, baked potato or a grilled chicken wrap with no cheese or dressing. The good thing about fast food resturaunts is that where there is one there is another. My family likes Popeye's chicken when I finish taking them then I go to Panada Express and have an entree bowl (veggies as the side and green bean chicken) I will go to Subway before everyone else grabs burgers. It is a matter of preperation, knowing what is good for you at a couple of resturaunts. I pretty much know what I can have at each of the fast food places down my main road and which ones I HAVE to avoid. This is a lifestyle choice, avoiding fast food is not realistic for everyone. I think it makes sense to be equipped with the information to make a healthy (best as you can) choice. Best of luck!
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:40 AM   #10  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

If I am eating fast food and trying to be bad while still being reasonable about it (lol) I really try to stick to the dollar menu or the cheapest items. These are usually smaller and lower in calories than more "deluxe" options. Often I will even toss the top half of the bun because it will save calories, carbs and some of the condiments.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:49 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 216/205/150

Height: 5'11"

When I am forced to look for food on the go, I depend on cups of chili and side salads from Wendy's. (and the lite lemonade if I really need a sweet)
Most restaurants now carry some sort of low cal section on their menus which is nice. Even if I order something off the lite section, like my egg white omelette from this morning, I remember to ask them to leave off or replace the unhealthy stuff (hashbrowns), go light on the somewhat unhealthy stuff (cheese) and leave at least half of my meal on my plate to box up.
mscoppertop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #12  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Looking up the calories beforehand is really helpful. I've also found it helpful to try to stay mindful of what a portion size of a given food actually is, since restaurants often serve multiple portions up as a single serving. Putting that stuff off to the side or in a doggie bag at the beginning of the meal can save a lot of calories, since it's not sitting right in front of us, saying "eat me!" Little tricks like getting sauces on the side and choosing things like steamed veggies over fries (when the option's available) has been helpful too.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

I want to reiterate what others have said. Researching the nutritional information of a restaurant is sooooooo important. I have managed to steadily lose weight while still enjoying meals out. Some of my favourite places are:

Nando's - Chicken Breast plus grilled veggies. FABULOUSLY filling!
Panago Pizza (not sure if that's in the US or not) - medium pizza with thin crust and half the cheese. You don't even notice that there's less cheese!
Wendy's - A regular burger sans cheese and mayo and side salad instead of fries.
Starbucks - Bistro boxes! Try to make smart choices when looking at there bistro boxes. In Canada, we just have 2 kinds (protein and fruit & cheese) but are labelled as a snack when they're really a meal.

In general, it's easy to eat healthy fast food if you make your meal a bit more special. Forgoe the unneccessary mayo and the cheese. You don't need it! Always order veggies over a starchy fatty side. The veggies are significantly better for you. Diet soda or water instead of sugary drinks. And watch those portions. Restaurants tend to have a warped view of what the average person needs. You don't need that much food!

Again, research research research!
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #14  
Not settling this time

S/C/G: HW/CW/GW 278/149/130

I'm on the road a lot so I do eat out quite a bit. I use a phone app called Fast Food Calorie Counter (free on Itunes) and it's very helpful with making food choices at restaurants. Easy restaurants to dine at for me are Applebee's, Boston Market, Chick-fil-A, Chipotle, KFC, Subway, Wendy's, and Starbucks.

Last edited by Prim2012; 09-17-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Prim2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 138/132.8/120

I always go for the Wendy's Chili when I have to go fast food ... SO filling, lots of protein, and not a ton of cals.

111707 ... next time you go to Starbucks, try ordering a grande chai hot tea instead of a latte. I used to LOVE chai lattes, now I feel like a chai tea + milk and SweetNLow tastes essentially the same, and saves me like 200 cals!
LovelyAndLosing is offline   Reply With Quote