General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #1  

Default Weight loss, water and blood pressure

I would like someones opinion on this and I know your not doctors.

Last year I started working out and was 371.2 pounds. I lost 20 pounds then hurt my neck went to the doctors and found out I have high blood pressure 150/110. I was also drinking 4-5 liters of water daily then also. Well I did not work out anymore as my neck and started to eat bad again gaining about 30 pounds back.

Well fast forward 1 year I am 50 pounds lighter on blood pressure pills and eating right and was til 4 days ago drinking 4 liters of water daily. My blood pressure stayed between 130-140/90s with dieting and pills. I started doing some research on maybe it was the water keeping my blood pressure high.

Well I found that too much water does indeed raise your blood pressure and then I realized my mom is on water pills for her high blood pressure and they take water out of her body so drinking too much water made sense in raising it.

The past 4 days I lowered my water intake to only 2-2.5 liters a day and would you guess my blood pressure most days is between 115-125/70-85.

So my question is has this ever happened to anyone or has anyone ever heard that lowering your water intake will lower your blood pressure if you suffer high blood pressure.

Thanks for your time...

Last edited by canadacatman; 08-19-2012 at 08:29 PM.
canadacatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Good question, and out of curiosity, I googled (I just typed in does water intake increase blood pressure

And found this article (and a whole bunch of others)

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/reporte...x.html?ID=1022

So the answer is apparently yes. Which really makes sense when you think about it. Think of a garden hose, the more water you send through it, the more pressure.

I also know that drinking extra water does increase your blood volume. It's a fact that I've been able to use to my advantage when I have to have blood drawn.

I used to have a terrible time when having to have a blood draw, because my veins are deep and they "roll." The girls in the lab told me to drink a lot more water the day or two before the blood draw.

This has helped tremendously (just like a garden hose, the veins plump up with the increase in blood volume).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote