Doin' it the Old Fashioned Way #16

You're on Page 3 of 86
Go to
  • Hey girls.. I went and got lost again
    I am totally not doing well on this diet.. blah..I lost 3.5 pounds and then proceeded to regain 2 of them. .. oh, and I am so totally NOT going to share with you what I ate yesterday

I'm a little late jumping on the 'about me' bandwagon but such is life...

I'm Christine.. I've been on this thread for who knows how long but somewhere over a year
    I just turned 28 a couple weeks ago.. and I'm a SAHM. Married to a younger man (25) who works as a PC Tech. We have two beautiful daughters... Alexa, age 4 and Kairi, almost 10 weeks old!

A little weight history....
    In High School I weighed between 124 and 145 pounds... at the high end of this I thought I was HUGE and so I did Weight Watchers a couple times. I was still not happy when I got to 124 and so I gave up and bounced right back up to 145.
    During my college years I gained 30 more pounds.. putting me at 175. This is where I was when I met my husband, 5 1/2 years ago. Within a couple months we got pregnant! I gained 24 pounds.. bringing me up to 199! (never hit 200.. that's my claim to fame ). Two weeks after having my daughter, I'd lost 35 pounds and weighed in at 164! Unfortunately, I didn't put any effort into keeping it this way.. so within 6 months, I was up to 195!
    I was still 195 when I got married almost 2 years later... shortly after getting married I started to diet seriously (backwards I know.. they say when you get married you usually gain weight!)... over the next year and a half, I lost about 45 pounds! Then I went and got pregnant again!
    This time, I gained 39 pounds. I easily lost almost half of those but then stalled. This is when I decided to start 'trying' again.. this was a few weeks ago.. and so far I have not been able to dedicate myself to a true effort I really need to get motivated again!! I currently sit at about 172 pounds. I am 5'4"

Anyway, I'm going to try to remember to pop in here more often.. as I really need the motivation of you guys!

Christine
    174/172.5/130
  • Hello everyone! I've been a little missing in action lately, but I have been extremely busy with work and all. We are leaving for our vacation tomorrow. I will be spending 8 wonderful days in Cancun I have been so busy at work, this trip is the one thing that has kept me going! So I will once again be missing a week of posting but I will be ready to get back into the action when I get back. I have been so pleased with my results there is no way I will slip back. Although, I will admit that I will most likely eat and drink what I want next week. This is our one big yearly trip and I usually allow myself whatever for one week then hit it the day I get back. I figure as long as the other 51 weeks out of the year are in control, I can allow that one week...right??!? That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ideal~In my research, I have read that drinking lemon juice in the water can actually help cleanse the liver, allowing the body to better cleanse itself. So drink up! I like to add a little lemon just to add a little flavor. One of the things I want to work on after my vacation is cutting down on diet cokes. I think they actually make me hungrier, than if I just drank water.

Congrats to Aphil on the recent loss and everyone else who is doing such a good job! I'll have to say that adding weights to my workouts have done wonders. My cellulite is actually fading a little!!! Well enough of my babbing, everyone have a wonderful week and I'll check in next Monday....ready to face a new challenge. I'm shooting for 135 by July, just about 15 pounds in 3 1/2 months. Definitely doable!!

Oh yeah....hello to all the new guys and to Nancy, its good to hear from you again! So glad to hear you're back with hubby! I'm outa here for fun in the sun!!
  • Idealperson-I don't have a lot of info on any nutritional benefit of puttinglemon juice or a lemon slice in your water...but it definitely is better than a diet soda! I drink diet sodas-but I usually limit it to 1 a day, 2 if I go out to a restaurant-because I usually have a refill-keeps me from eating more than I should if everyone is sitting their chatting or having dessert. The rest of the day is usually water for me, sometimes a serving of orange or grapefruit juice for a fruit serving.
    I just finished my workout...man, I really worked my buns today-I really felt it! I am thinking I that when I hit 175 in the next couple of weeks-I am going to have to get another picture up here...since my last pic was at 185-you know, kindof show you all my progress in the 10's...I must say, my abs look better than they did in that picture...but then again, in that picture they looked a heck of a lot better than they did when I started up here after Raiden was born! Maybe I'll flex a bicep in this next one... You all will have to go back to my last pic and compare...my favorite pic of all time is still Holly's "Christmas" card for us...with the little candy cane in her mouth! (My husband liked that one, too! )
    Well, I better get going...we have to drive down to the in-law's tonight for a while...and I need to get in the shower-after that workout I am a sweaty mess!
    Amy
    edit: jacklyn-we were postin at the same time! Have a blast on your vacation! You have worked hard, and I know you will look good in your bathing suit! Get a tan for me while you are there!
  • Woohoo!!!
    Down another pound or so!!! YAY!!

I am right on 150 lbs now.... next week I hope to be below that point.... first time in over 10 years!!!

Well.... I can't make this long... because I have some things to do, but I will be back later with a longer post for sure!!

Keep on track everyone.... it will happen!!

Nola.
  • Hi all,

Well, I have to say I worked quite hard today. I walked the dog, worked out at Curves and took my 8 year old for a bike ride. Now I'm ready to relax. I recorded by food again today. It's amazing though, how I can look at my food diary for the last 2 days and see where I can cut corners to lower my caloric intake. This journaling of food is a great idea!

Congrats to Aphil and Kanola on your loses . As the Subway add would say "you're an inspiration to us all ".

Jacklyn: Have a great trip to Cancun! You just go ahead and enjoy yourself. I think you deserve one week off. Just having that attitude though, may help you stay on program. I find it's when I'm told I can't have something that I really want it. It's the rebel in me I guess .

Aphil: Where can I view that picture of you 10 lbs ago? Since I'm new to this thread, I didn't get to see it. I always like to be able to put a face to the names.

Silence: Don't worry about your little gain. It will come off again, just jump back on the wagon and get yourself back on track. Like you, I also lost my weight quickly after childbirth. How quickly those pounds can come back though, when you don't watch it. I'm also amazed at how our perception of ourselves can be so out of whack. I was about 130 lbs in highschool and was always trying to lose weight. Looking back, I looked pretty good, if only I could be there again (the weight that is, not high school ).

Here's my food for the day. Since it's past 7:30, I'm now cut off from anymore.
    Bfast: Cheerios with 1% milk and a little sugar
    Snack: 2 slices (count 'em t-w-o) date/pineapple loaf with butter (it's the rebel in me coming out ).
    Lunch: 4 crackers with 4 slices of cheese
    diet coke
    banana
    little tiny hard candy
    Snack: 2 twizzlers
    2" x 1" piece of chocolate cake (I was bored)
    Dinner: BBQ teriyaki chicken breast on toasted bun with mayo (only a little), lettuce and mozza cheese
    salad with slivered almonds & strawberries and homemade oil/vinegar dressing
    Doritos (that's really bad, I know, but I'm just recording now, not dieting yet)
    Juice

I was so full that I don't need anything else to eat tonight.

For all you calorie counters, please don't add up my calories cause I'm sure I'm way over the top.

Ciao for now!
  • Hello everyone!

Hi willbe, and welcome! congratulations on the steps you've taken so far!

Aphil, you must be feeling SO good with the great changes that you're seeing! and the ones that your husband is commenting on !

my face turned red as I remembered that Christmas pic - that was a "WHAT was I thinking" moment!

Our weather is enough to get anybody down - after we had a "tease " of warm weather last week, we got 5" of snow last Sunday; it's been below freezing every since, with occasional snow showers; and today, freezing rain/up to 6" of snow expected. Sigh....!!!!

I can post my good choices for meals here, up to a certain point, then I would NOT be a good role model...

breakfast - 1/2 cup Kashi Good Friends cereal, mixed with 6 or 8 ounces of fat-free. nutrasweet-ened yogurt; and small apple, chopped up and mixed in. Plus coffee with about 1/2 cup 1% milk.

or alternate breakfast is 1/2 cup oatmeal, with small chopped apple and a few raisins

lunch, if I'm at work - 1 slice regular bread, with honey mustard, a little cranberry sauce, lettuce, tomato, and 3-4 ounces deli turkey breast.

after that...bad me, sometimes a cookie or two in afternoon.

if I'm home, lunch is a can of tuna, mixed with honey mustard and 2 T reduced fat mayo; with lettuce on 2 slices lite bread. As many baby carrots as I can crunch/stand. Coffee with a fruitgrain bar (usually 120-130 cals. each) . No cookies here to be bad with

dinner - I should cut myself down to 1 piece of baked chicken, but have been having two; good with steamed veggies and a green salad; I TRY to limit the starch of the meal to one small serving, but that's hard. Ifeel I'm doing very well when I do the "chew each mouthful 30X" - that really slows down the inhaling of the dinner - bad habit with me to eat fast.

no junk food or dessert in the house - so there's only breakfast cereal for an evening snack. Well, good choices would be yogurt, fruit, sugar-free jello.

I'm not gaining - still hovering around the 145 mark. Feeling good from the exercising, as always, but haven't felt sore the next day, which means, sigh, up the intensity, right?

It'll be time to wear shorts soon; actually, at work, I'd be comfortable with them even now, as it's so warm in there - myboss has been wearing shorts to worknow for a couple of weeks - but I sam still so self-conscious of my legs. That is what I need to keep in mind, I guess - that I want to work towards being able to wear shorts with a free mind.

'Nola - got my Joe Rocket jacket yesterday!! The 4.0 ballistic weatherproof jacket, with removeable armor in the shoulders, elbows, and spine protector. and the 4.0 ballistic pants are coming next week! ALSO big motivation to not ever get bigger, as alot of $$$ were invested in these garments! and congrats on your discipline and being down some more!!!!

Nancy - hi hi hi again!! so good to have you back. Doesn't tanning feel good??? I just love the warmth. I fell asleep in there the other day, which has become usual; BUT i was having a dream where someone (? maybe a cabana boy) was feeding me these HUGE delicious shrimp; and I woke myself up moving my mouth like I was chewing!!! oh my G! Isn't that pathetic but funny?! so glad that there is no hidden camera in there!!!!!

well, I'm hungry so I'm going to find some baby carrots and make some jello for the hungry snack attack later! and do my Gilad Step n tone video.

Have a great day!!! and yes, we can DO it!!!

Your friend
    Holly
  • Hi everyone!
    willbe-the pic of me 10 pounds ago SHOULD be in the last thread...in the first half I should say...I am in a tribal bellydance costume and makeup-so I do not look like that every day!
    Aphil
  • Hi everyone!
    I had a pretty good weekend...my weigh in this week has me down another pound to 177 as well.
    We went to the in-law's last night, and I got a couple of comments from my "sort of" brother in law...he has been dating my sister in law for a couple of years, and they are talking marriage now.
    He hasn't really seen me in a month or two, and the changes must be more apparent, because the first thing he said to me jokingly was, "You're starting to slim down some, isn't it about time for another one of those?" (As he points to my kids) Did I mention our family is full of Seinfeld-esque smart mouths?
    Later he made a joking comment to my husband (they tease each other about their "bellies" and lovehandles and growing girth) that it is a good thing Amy has lost some weight, or she wouldn't be able to pass you (my husband) in the hallway! (Not meaning anything toward me, but to my husband)
    It feels so good to hear comments like that...to know that your hard work is paying off, and people are noticing the changes in you. If that is not the best motivation to keep going, I don't know what is.
    Aphil
  • Hey girls... hows everyone doing?

Well, today is supposed to be weigh-in day but I'm skipping it because I just haven't been putting in the effort.
    This week I'm going to try to incorporate one thing into my 'diet' ... it is my goal to drink only water & diet drinks this week (mostly water).
    Perhaps, if I can add one healthy habit a week, I'll be able to get back into the swing of things!!

Hope everyone else is having better luck than me!!

Christine
    174/?/130
    mini-goal: 169
  • A quote for you gals...

Quote:
    Having tried a gajillion diets, I understand how when we want to lose weight, we tend to look for the answer outside ourselves. We want a magic solution--a secret formula. I used to wish somebody would just tell me the answer--show me the way. Someone did. But I've also learned when Glenda, the good witch, told Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, "You always had it. You always had the power." The real secret is within you. -- Oprah Winfrey
  • Wow .. too much to catch up on in here! It sounds like ya'll are doing great! Aphil, you're just rocking right along! Congrats!

Silence that was a great quote. I wish I could scream that from the rooftops. It's so true.

Kanola, grats on the loss!

I'm sans scale for the next several weeks. I had my BF hide it. I took my measurements, got one last weight, and took a "before" pic. That was scary. In 4 weeks I'll do all of that again, and see what my progress has been.

Hope everyone is doing great today!
  • Good Morning All! I am feeling very fat today-even though I stayed on program all weekend and exercised on Monday! We had a huge snow storm here Sunday night and got 14 inches of the ugly white stuff, maybe that's why I'm feeling so yukky-it's Spring for God's Sake! Thanks to everyone who's put up their menus-they are a big help! Our weigh-in was cancelled last night, so I have to wait another week! I need some uplifting this week...keep up the good work girls!
  • Hello...? Anyone out there? I have been having cravings all day... I am trying to make good choices though. Our snow that we got on Monday is now melting and it's 52 degrees here, I can't wait til spring! Here's what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast: Special k bar & coffee 2 pts.

Lunch: Subway chicken breast sandwich with all the veggies,
    7 pts.

Snack: 1 apple 1 pt.

Dinner: 2 pieces baked fish, 1/2 cup mashed potatoes,
    small salad 8 pts.

Snack: FF pudding cup with FF cool whip and
    2 choc. graham crackers 4 pts.

Have a great day!
  • Hi everyone!
    I have been trying to make an avatar of myself to put up here...have not yet been successful!
    We'll see if I can't get it up here in a bit...
    Aphil
  • GO AWAY %#&*@!! SNOW!!
    Hello everyone!

Idealperson, you had a great day of food choices posted! I KNOW the yucky feeling, and yes, it surely could come from the stupid snow that just doesn't quit!!!

Our road trip is in 18 days, and I am decidedly nervous about the cold and snow!!! Tomorrow is supposed to greatly warm up, to 50 degrees and some sunshine; it that happens we are going to take advantage of it and go for a 200 mile ride, to get our butts in condition, lol.

I needed to make myself get some more cardio activity in, so I raised my step two inches, for during my Gilad Step 'n' Tone workout, and that did the trick - it was rough! but that is good. Funny how just two inches can make your heart work so much harder!

I got TWO new pair of New Balance Cross-Trainers, plus two dozen socks from Foot Locker, all free with my free gift certificates - plus had $25 left over, which I gave to my older son. Cool!!!

I hope eveyone is doing well. I envy all of you with warm weather already!

Your friend,
    Holly