General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #1  
hold the calories

S/C/G: (HW)280 252/ticker/164

Height: 5'8.5

Default how many carbs is 'low carb'

i'm considering a 'low carb' approach to my eating plan, but have no idea how many to cut before my diet would even qualify as 'low carb', versus, how low is too low?
side salad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There is no one answer. Many low-carb followers define low carb where their plans tell them too - or consider low-carb anything as low or lower than they choose to eat.

Some of the low-carb and diet "experts" give 200g as the cut-off. Others 100g. Still others 80, 60, 40, or 20.

My doctor recommended low-carb to me, but warned me not to go too low. So of course I asked, "How low is too low," and my doctor sad, "I haven't a clue."

As a result, I started experimenting. I decided to use a low-carb exchange plan (like the high protein plan on the frugalabuncance.com website). I ended up tweaking it a bit, and adding a fruit exchange and subtracting two bread exchanges.

I just randomly experimented with different carb levels, and I found what seemed to work best for me (I like exchange plans, because it makes it easier to compare on experiment with another).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #3  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Kaplods gives awesome advice!
I just started Atkins , just make sure to read the book first if you decide on a specific diet. Also be sure that you're getting all the vitamins and such -eithera by eating them or a supplement. Good luck.
I have to say that I am in love with Atkins because in only 2 days my cravings are gone and I am never hungry!
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I was recommended to do low carb too. I was able to figure out which carbs triggered higher blood sugars in my diet and those are the ones I eliminated.

In the end, I basically eat any vegetables I want in whatever quantity I want - lettuce, green beans, peas, asparagus, broccoli. And I eat a lot of protein from nuts and meat and a bit of dairy (I have dairy sensitivities if not fermented). And I can eat many fruits, just not bananas ever. And I eat a lot of fats - again mostly from nuts and avocados, dairy and olive oil.

So, basically, I stay away from bread, sweet potatoes, rice, oatmeal or any other grain and sugars. For some reason, potatoes and quinoa don't have spiking effect on my blood sugars, so I will eat those.

In the end that means I get about 100 net grams of carbs a day if I'm being good or less (net grams is subtracting fiber from the grams of carbs). At that level I personally don't have sugar cravings and don't feel deprived... but I don't stick to it hard and true. Some days I have 50 grams of carbs, other days I have 140... it all depends on what I'm eating for the day.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

When I stay under 100-150 carbs I lose more steadily, but it might be because it also controls my calories more. I find this is the amount I reach when I just eat normal portions of grains and fruit anyway.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I don't think the experts even agree on what is considered low carb.

You'll really have to experiment and find what level works for you. Some people are fine on a low carb diet of less than 50g per day. Others aren't.

I usually stick to 100-150g of carbs per day, because I find I function best in that range.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #7  

I follow Dr. Berenstein's low carb plan for blood sugar control. He recommends six carbs for breakfast, and twelve for lunch and dinner. That is 30 a day, but you can add a twelve carb snack if you like, for a daily total of 42. He has followed this regimen himself for many many years and is in excellent health for a type 1 diabetic in his late 70's.

Most low carb plans allow more...
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Hubby is a diabetic and his dr put him on 45gram of carbs per meal and 15 grams for an evening snack. He feels great when he follows it!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote