General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:27 AM   #496  
Fab at 40

S/C/G: 343/180/154

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
lanarkwitch you're over thinking this ... big time.

Fast five, 16/8, Eat stop eat ... the point is not that you follow some rigid schedule to optimize health, or fat loss, or something else.

The point is to make your life easier, and calories easier to control. We have no idea exactly what health benefits we may be getting from intermittent fasting and while there probably are some reasons to take time off from eating ... we don't know how long is needed to get said health benefits.

So relax. The best IF plan is to just stay flexible. The point is to not have to obsess about meal timing.
Thanks for this sensible reply, I think I've been reading too much on the 5:2 facebook group full of self declared experts coz they've done a 24 hour fast!

I am reaching the end of week 4, weight loss not much change, I have experimented with a number of options regarding the cycle of stop/start and can honestly say none of that matters, it's what you do eat that matters!!

The best fit for me is 5pm to 5pm, 6 days per week, I am resigned to counting calories until I work out exactly what normal is after so many years of counting something or other and working on eating a balanced diet when I'm actually hungry, all of this will do me far more good in the long run than seeing how long I can go without eating, the fasting part just helps me control my calories and make better choices at eating times, there that only took 4 weeks to work out, who says I'm a slow learner LOL!

If it transpires at some future date that If does bring amazing health benefits then great but I don't have any cholesterol issues and suffer low blood pressure (not affected one bit by IF either!) so nothing too pressing in that area. Very very interested in lifting weights, my building has a gym, but I've no idea how to get started.

Last edited by lanarkwitch; 02-05-2013 at 03:31 AM.
lanarkwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #497  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

lanarkwitch... I know a few people who like the "The New Rules of Lifting" series... I've actually been thinking about picking up one the books and taking a look, since I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I need to probably start doing a bit more in the strength department these days...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #498  

S/C/G: 192/173.6/145

Height: 5'4"

Welcome wannabethin! I'm sorry I don't know what a stone is relative to pounds and I'm too lazy to google it lol. But so long as you r following your recommended calorie range u could safely and consistently lose the the standard one to two pounds per week. This has been said here many times but IFing is to help people stay within their calorie range. That's how it helps you.

Hey tripswitch are you not doing a strenght routine right now to get ur bodyfat% down? if not what exercise routine are you doing and is it working? I'm not a fan of lifting weights but I know as I lose the weight I have a tendency towards being skinnyfat or so to speak.

For me this week, I've been doing great since that 4day binge I had. However I have been getting really hungry by 930 or 10 these past few days so my window has been lengthend. I'm still only eating two meals and one snack tho. Seems to be my sweet spot with controlling hunger. Oh and eating less processed foods vs fast food. The days where I ate whole foods I could barely eat 1200! Today, I ate a free jimmy johns sandwhich for lunch and then mcdonalds for dinner (in my defense I had told my kids tonite was gonna be mcdonalds night b4 getting the free sandwhich!), and I hit 1600 by 5pm! I could have easily had more too! And, the extreme energy I had been having was gone. So good lesson learned today.

Oh and I reached a new low weight today. down .8 pounds for the week.
hopebewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 AM   #499  
Fab at 40

S/C/G: 343/180/154

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
lanarkwitch... I know a few people who like the "The New Rules of Lifting" series... I've actually been thinking about picking up one the books and taking a look, since I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I need to probably start doing a bit more in the strength department these days...
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it now!!
lanarkwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #500  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone. I'm sort of doing IF, but my feeding window is pretty long. I'm basically just delaying eating breakfast until i get to work at 9:00 a.m. So my eating window is about 11 hours long (finishes at 8 p.m.). I just started this last week. I had tried several other forms of IF and wasn't able to stick with them long term. This, i think, is sustainable. It means i am only hungry from about 5:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.--which is a time that i'm too busy to eat anyway (i'm working out, showering, and driving to work). Really it just saves me time in the morning more than anything else. And of course it cuts down on those calories--since i used to eat breakfast at home AND start snacking as soon as i got to work.

Last edited by surfergirl2; 02-06-2013 at 02:17 PM.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #501  
Heading Downtown...

hopebewild... I'm not doing anything too structured when it comes to strength training right now... I do have a really nice complete set of dumbbells at home that I play around with a couple of times a week to keep them from collecting too much dust... lol... But I'm actually a big fan of Pilates, so I do a few private reformer sessions which I like for not only the toning aspects, but I feel it definitely has a strength component as well...

My main thing is running and I'm actually planning on doing another marathon... so based on my past experience with that I'm expecting it to produce some pretty good results getting me fairly lean again...

I just never really got into weight lifting, even though I've tried many, many times, but who knows maybe that will change depending on how I feel I look in a bathing suit this summer...
Old 02-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #502  
Heading Downtown...

Just checking in here... I've backed my IF down to 16/8... after a rather dramatic increase in my overall activity last week after getting a Nike Fuelband, although I think I over did it a bit... I've managed to get sick and came down with a cold... I have to admit though that this mild obsession I have now with earning "fuel" has been an interesting distraction to say the least... Oh, well... It's not the first time this has happened to me and I'm sure it won't be the last... Guess I'll just stick to broth and maybe some soup and tea, and hopefully I'll be back up and running again soon...
Old 02-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #503  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

That sucks, Trip! Hoping you get better ASAP.

Still IF'ing just fine and down to 175 from 180 so far. Still no exercise due to an injury that I've had for over 2 weeks now. I may have to go to the doctor soon since it isn't going away, just off and on... ugh. I hate doctors.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #504  
Heading Downtown...

Thanks amandie... Congrats on the 5lb loss that's great!

Being sick is definitely a drag, but I'm sort of enjoying the time off and my body seems to really be appreciating the rest... I think I was starting to go down the "Too much... Too soon..." road... I decided that I wanted to try a "run" in the morning while still IF'ing from the night before... Well, it took a while, but I actually starting feeling pretty good... the only problem was I decided to keep going so I wound up running 8 miles to make it back home and let's just say the last 2 miles were pretty much a death march, not to mention there was a snow storm going on when I got the bright idea to carry out this little "experiment" of mine... lol... Hopefully, I at least sacrificed some body fat with that stupidity... Anyway now I guess I'm sort of paying the price for it... Oh, well... live and learn...
Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #505  
I got this

Okay so I bit the bullet and went to the doctor which ended up me being directed to the ER due to my symptoms... Nearly 4 hours later, I have been diagnosed with costochondritis. Never heard of it until today and frankly, I really WISHED I never googled it after I got home... Totally bummed me out because I'm seeing stories about how it can take up to a year (in extreme cases) for it to go away and there's no way to prevent it, really. I officially cannot exercise other than stretching/light yoga stuff until it goes away. I guess I should be glad that I'm not having a heart attack or a stroke like I thought I was. DR just prescribed me tylenol with codeine for pain management but frankly, I don't like pills at all so I don't know. I have no health insurance (although in 3 weeks, I believe I should be covered by medicare, finally! after 2 years) nor a primary care physician and I have to do a follow up with another doc in 3 days. Fun!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #506  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
Okay so I bit the bullet and went to the doctor which ended up me being directed to the ER due to my symptoms... Nearly 4 hours later, I have been diagnosed with costochondritis. Never heard of it until today and frankly, I really WISHED I never googled it after I got home... Totally bummed me out because I'm seeing stories about how it can take up to a year (in extreme cases) for it to go away and there's no way to prevent it, really. I officially cannot exercise other than stretching/light yoga stuff until it goes away. I guess I should be glad that I'm not having a heart attack or a stroke like I thought I was. DR just prescribed me tylenol with codeine for pain management but frankly, I don't like pills at all so I don't know. I have no health insurance (although in 3 weeks, I believe I should be covered by medicare, finally! after 2 years) nor a primary care physician and I have to do a follow up with another doc in 3 days. Fun!
amandie... sorry to hear that... If you don't mind me asking... how did they come up with that dx? I'm assuming they did some sort of cardiac workup... that they did a 12 lead EKG and sent off some lab work (and your first set of cardiac enzymes came back negative) and a chest x-ray... to rule out other causes...
Old 02-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #507  

Trip why do I get the feeling that you're a nurse?

Amandie I hope u feel better soon! And yes, I agree with trip, hopefully this diagnosess came after ruling out other causes. Chest pain is no joke.

Well I haven't been IF ing lately. I thought I would do ok eating whenever but just eating 2meals and one snack. Ha! So I'm going back to ifing today.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #508  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopebewild View Post
I get the feeling that you're a nurse?
Sorry, sometimes I can't help myself...
Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #509  

Well it takes one to know one! What area u work in? I work (ironically) in a cv surgery icu.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #510  
I got this

Just so you know I am deaf and did not have have a interpreter with me so basically it was all on pape with some lip-reading (next time I will ask for an terp because I honestly felt ignored.) They did a ekg (not sure if it was 12 lead) and chest x-ray. Only saw the DR twice, first time was only to listen to my heart and lungs with stethoscope, asking questions about where it hurt and etc but that's it. When he came back with that diagnosis, I didn't believe it and I kept asking for lab work to be sure because I was also having abdominal pain on the right side (I suspect I have a hernia too but that's for another time.) I felt like the dr basically blew me off and sent me home with a script for tylenol and codeine then to follow up with dr. Should I go back again and hopefully get a diff dr or a diff hospital to get a second opinion?

Last edited by amandie; 02-14-2013 at 08:19 PM.