General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2001, 10:22 AM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Okay, first of all I want to stress that this is not SPAM - no way!

Once again, SELF Magazine is launching their annual Self Challenge beginning this coming Monday. Self is one of my favorite magazines (although there is a lot of 'fluff' in it, you can still find a lot of common-sense info within its pages). I especially like the way they time this every year -- the first week of March/last week of Feb just when our motivation to get movin' and lose those extra pounds starts to sag.

In case you're unfamiliar with it (you can pick up the March issue or log onto www.self.com for more info), the Challenge consists of three months where goals for cardio, weight training, flexibility and eating smarter (not a crash diet at all -- they're advocating anywhere from 1,500 to 2,000 calories a day!) are met. You can keep a log online or mail or fax to the magazine.

Plus did I mention it's FREE -- you don't even have to buy the magazine (but they go into more detail in print though). VERY common sense information and tips! This will be my third year of following the Challenge and I encourage all of you to at least go to www.self.com and check it out!

Take care!

------------------
Mrs. Jim
255/155/145

[b]Target date to 150: 15 April 2001![b]
Old 02-25-2001, 01:44 PM   #2  
Former cheese-oholic

Thanks for the heads up, Mrs. Jim. I've registered online for the Self Challenge and I will be picking up the March issue soon.
And might I add, you are just a wealth of information and inspiration!
Old 02-26-2001, 05:32 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Hi again Mrs. Jim,

You are so right my motivation is sagging big time lately...so I will go to Self and see whassup there....

I agree with you Cheddarella, I enjoy reading Mrs. Jim's posts, they are always informative and knowledgeable.....Here's to you Mrs. Jim....CHEERS!!!! (glass of water in hand here...LOL)

Anyways I will check that Self and get motivated .... maybe we can start a thread here about that....

Laters.....

Lana.... .......
Old 02-26-2001, 07:20 AM   #4  

Count me in for the Self Challenge! I sign up every year and give up about three weeks into it, but this year I want to stick with it. I have about 85 pounds to lose. I'm going to start tomorrow by going back to the gym!
Old 02-26-2001, 08:00 AM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

You gals are just too much!! Thank you!!!

You can stick a tea bag or some Crystal Light in that water if you want...

This is the first chance I've had to check the Web today -- wanted to get a good bike ride in during breaks in the rain! and of course I DO have to spend SOME time cleaning the house...not my favorite job by any means...

Anyway, back to the Challenge -- it starts tomorrow -- good luck all!

There's some great workout and eating tips in the magazine, and they'll also have an 800# to call with more tips as well. Every year it just gets better!

MrsJim
265/155/145
Old 02-26-2001, 08:04 AM   #6  
Goddess

I just signed up! I've never done one of these before, so this should be helpful and inspiring. I have a subscription to Self magazine and my March issue hasn't arrived yet.

Donna
Old 02-26-2001, 08:58 PM   #7  
Spicy Chick

I also agree with the others Mrs.Jim--I find your post informative. Your website is great also!!
Here is another challenge I found interesting:
http://www.women.com/fitness/goalten...oss/index.html
Old 02-27-2001, 02:00 AM   #8  

Add me to the list of those taking the Self 2001 challenge! I too have started and quite before the end several times in the past, but am bound and determined this year!

Maggie
Old 02-27-2001, 10:40 AM   #9  

How did everyone do today, their first day (for some of us - you have until April 30 to complete the first month, according to the magazine). I have been doing well with the food, as I am doing "the zone to your home." It's a delivery service by the people at the Zone, they create meals according to the Zone plan, and they leave it right outside your door! The food is great, and I've lost 4 pounds already. Although, the downside is, I live in New York City, and there's always the risk that someone will steal my food before I get to it, which I think might have happened tonight!! I put out my empty cooler bag, and it's gone now, without a replacement! I should have expected this, someone stole my Christmas decorations off my door in December!!

I packed all my stuff for the gym tonight, but got stuck at work until 8:30. I was too tired by then to work out, so I walked about a mile to the subway, so I'm counting that as my cardio. I plan on hitting the gym tomorrow for cardio and strength training.

Have a great Tuesday everyone! Keep sticking to the Challenge!

[This message has been edited by AllyNYC (edited 02-26-2001).]
Old 02-27-2001, 09:59 PM   #10  
Spicy Chick

Hi everyone:
I found the Self challenge excellent, I am going to incorporate it into my healthier lifestyle change.
Ally if you do not mind me asking--what do you pay to have the Zone food delivered to your door??...
That's amazing, I tell you it is so interesting to read what is going on in our ever relentless search to lose weight..

Good healthy day all...Di
Old 03-02-2001, 11:38 PM   #11  

Di,

Convenience has its price - the delivery is $40 a day, so for a month, it's about $1200. I'm lucky enough to have someone who cares about me and my health to pay for the first month. I might just stay on it for a month, just to get an idea of portion size and the balance of carbs, fat and protein. It's only available right now in the NYC metro area and LA, I think. The web site is www.zonedietdelivery.com if you want more information. I've lost 5 pounds in the first week, so hopefully a month on this diet will cause a significant drop in my weight.

I have done two of my cardio workouts this week, and plan on doing my third tonight. I did one strength training session and plan my second tonight. I don't when I'm going to do the flexibility part! 10 minutes of stretching seems like a lot! I always stretch after a workout but I'm sure I don't do 10 minutes worth. I have a great video called "The 10-Minute Solution" (I think that's the correct name) that I will use for the flexibility tomorrow - there's a 10-minute yoga session. This is my favorite video and I highly recommend it. It has 5 workouts (yoga, ballet, kickboxing, pilates and "boot camp") and each is in a 10-minute segment. You could do one segment when you're in a time crunch, or do the whole thing for a very varied workout. You'd be surprised at how good a workout she gives in 10 minutes. It's also great if you're new to working out and need to ease into something. You can order from Collage Video, www.collagevideo.com. Collage Video is great, they have this huge catalog of workout videos, and all the people who work there try each video before they sell it, and they provide their reviews.

Does anyone out there have a unique way of sneaking in their cardio workout? If so, I'd love to hear it! I'd love to do something besides going to the gym and using the machines.

Have a great weekend!

AllyNYC

Old 03-03-2001, 06:01 AM   #12  
Water Freak

I signed up for the self challenge Monday, it is awesome! I've been eating really well now for a week. I'm so excited about this. I think it might be finally doing the trick for me so I can lose these stubborn last 5 pounds or so. Yea for the challenge!

Cat
180/143/138
Old 03-05-2001, 12:25 AM   #13  

I joined the Self Challenge last week and finished my first week today!! I am so happy with myself for sticking to it. In fact, I went above what is the minimum.

I was so tired tonight, yet I forced myself to go to workout. I think the Self Challenge is what I needed to give me a boost.

gina

250/210/160
Old 03-07-2001, 12:16 PM   #14  
Spicy Chick

Default Ally

Ally:
thanks for answering my question...you can not put a price on health...it is what works for you..
Once you stop getting them delivered just remember what they used...so you can duplicate it...

I wish you continued success!!
Closed Thread