General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/176/130

Height: 5'8

Default Most skinny people don't eat much.. convinced.

Okay ladies.. so as my title says what I have realized this past week is skinny people are skinny for a reason. I went out with a bunch of my girlfriends for a friend's graduation and I observed the way these skinny girls ate. I had a full sushi roll and I ate the whole thing. The two girls sitting closest to me were the fittest/smallest looking so i observed. The one to the left of me ordered some kind of chicken baked or fried with parmesan on top w/ a side of garlic mashed potatoes. The filet was about the size of a womans hand, she had 3 small bites of chicken, about 2 bites of the mashed potatoes and then she pushed it away saying shes full and ready for dessert. The girl to the right of me, ordered some healthy eggplant dish.. she ate about half of it and the rest she sent away. Dessert came, each had a bite and it got passed around the table, each skinny girl grabbing a small bite, and dinner was over. At the end I looked around, most of the skinny girls ate less then 25% of their dish. So, I guess thats the trick.
ilovemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

The girl I work with whom everyone thinks eats a bunch of junk and whatever she wants is secretly like this. People don't realize how little she actually eats because she has it in her hands and most don't see how much she actually eats. But I am watching, and I see the truth! She eats like 3 bites and throws the rest away! I'm on to you skinny people who seemingly eat anything you want. That's the truth if anything you want consists of 2 gummy worms and 5 french fries!!!!!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #3  

Exactlyyyy. Im not saying that there arent those rare skinny people who just eat n eat n eat n dont gain weight because there are ppl like that.. BUT my personal experience has shown me that MOST of the skinny girls just eat like 3 bites and call it a day. Go figure.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #4  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

LOL Your posts made me laugh!!! "I'm onto you, skinny girls!"

I know ONE skinny girl that eats like a beast!! no joke!! it's amazing. I hope it never catches up to her but dang does she put food away!! Hahaha Most of the skinny girls I know don't eat that much though, I agree.

I think they either have little stomachs that can't handle much food, or maybe they just eat little amounts like that but all day long? I dont know.

I started lately only eating about half my plate. Intentionally. I actually convince myself that I'm done. It's hard, but I don't regret it after the waitress goes away with it.
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 132/100/100

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelkitty View Post
I started lately only eating about half my plate. Intentionally. I actually convince myself that I'm done. It's hard, but I don't regret it after the waitress goes away with it.
I've been doing the same while on holiday (particularly since portions in the States are so much bigger than back home in Australia and I've relaxed my diet for the 2 weeks). Order chicken tenders and fries. Eat 2/4 of the chicken tenders and a few fries. Have a sandwich and i remove the top slice of bread. Have a steak and pick the smallest cut and eat about 3/4 while not having the mash. Have a slice of cheesecake, eat half. Scoop of ice cream in a cone and I don't finish the cone.

I try to resist doggy-bagging it as well so I don't get tempted later. Either that or I share with my husband (or steal a couple of bites of his brownie). Part of me can hear my mum telling me not to waste food but I consider it my 'skinny' tax!

To be honest it's how my sisters eat and one's 5' and under 100lbs and the other is 4’9 and 80lbs. They rarely finish everything on their plate although they don't always eat the healthiest food. They can even stop at 1/2 a pack of chips!
Kayriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #6  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayriel View Post
I try to resist doggy-bagging it as well so I don't get tempted later. Either that or I share with my husband (or steal a couple of bites of his brownie). Part of me can hear my mum telling me not to waste food but I consider it my 'skinny' tax!

yes!!!! most definitely resisting doggy-bagging it is a huge deal!! At least you know when it's done its done, not a constant reminder when you get home! I also share my desserts with people, because if it was up to me I'd eat the whole cake .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayriel View Post
They can even stop at 1/2 a pack of chips!
Ok now that's pushing it!! LOL!!!!! jk jk
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #7  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I guess I've turned into one of those ladies. Well, not really, because I still eat a lot but mostly veggies/fruit/lean meat so more volume.

However, when we go to a restaurant I always split my plate with my daughter and give at least part to my husband too. That way I'm never eating more than half the dish.

We also prefer pay-per-kilo places (very common here in Brazil) where they often have a larger salad bar that's relatively health so then we're not paying for a lot of extra food that we don't eat.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #8  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I do this UNLESS I purposely order a low-calorie dish. If it's chicken and veggies then I cannot control myself, LOL.

I do doggie bag it though. I paid for the meal so half is going to be my lunch the next day!!

Although a lot of the time my fiance ends up eating the other half later on because he gets hungry at midnight...
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:59 AM   #9  
Empress/Queen

I think most lower weight people who seem to eat very little and gain no weight do tend to eat smaller amounts throughout the day.

I am different as I always want to eat the "whole" portion or serving or whatever so I just order carefully and then force myself really not to eat much in a restaurant because restaurant food is almost always higher in calories than I think it is.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:44 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 172/170/130

Height: 5'7

My sister is like this she is 5'4 and 103lbs. She is easily able to turn down food and has no issue not finishing a meal. I am not sure how she developed that mentality and yet I have the feeling I must clean my plate (it was never the rule growing up). I have a fear of wasting food but I don't know why.

She also tends to take very small portions when the option is to serve yourself. She also tends to be very picky with what she eats and doesn't like when things touch on her plate. She has the ability to go to a buffet and take little dollops or pieces of what she wants and that is it.

I think those that are naturally skinny really have a different idea of what full is or have learned how to listen to their bodies signals and as a result just stop eating when they reach a comfortable level of fullness.
Veela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #11  

^ I totally 100% agree with your post. Those that are "naturally" skinny are those who have a different perception of what full is versus those of us that are heavy. I know that its something that us heavy people can change so that we can eventually transitition over to the "naturally skinny" side, but thats obviously the biggest challenge.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

I remember watching a British TV show regarding weight loss, and the episode was about two best friends, one overweight and one underweight. They were confused about why there was such a difference in their body types, because both believed they ate the same as the other..

Nope, after following them around for a day to see the way they eat, it was discovered the thin girl was not eating enough calories while the overweight one was eating too many.

I wish I could develop a thin persons mentality...sigh
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #13  

I notice that naturally thin folks are not as focused on food as someone like me. I rarely have forgotten to eat lunch or just didn't feel like making lunch, but these are the very reasons my husband often says he hasn't eaten lunch. He's never had a weight problem.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think on average, thin folks do eat less than fatter folks, but I've also known a lot of people who break the stereotype. Thin people who seem to have the metabolism (and sometimes the movement) of hummingbirds, and obese people (usually old and sedentary) who eat very little.

My father was one of the hummingbirds. He ate TONS, but he was also very active. He didn't gain weight until he retired (and while he had some trouble early on getting the weight off, he's doing pretty well now).

I got a lot of advice over the years from well-meaning, "naturally-thin" family and friends, and the funniest (in hindsight) was "only eat when you're hungry." What they didn't realize was that I was hungry all the time.

"Mindful eating" doesn't work for me, because I can't trust my body's hunger cues. They're unreliable and invariably lead to overeating. I need to manipulate the hunger (by eating a low-carb diet, which acts as an appetite suppressant) and control the calories (I may always have to use a counting method to control portions).

I do suspect that there are both thin-prone and fat-prone people (and a lot of people in between). Why shouldn't this be true, scientists have bred rats for their weight tendencies to use in weight research. There are obesity-resistant strains (which tend to stay thin even when overfed) and obesity-prone strains (which gain weight easily), and I think the same is true of humans.

Whether it's genetic, learned, or triggered by environmental event(s) thin people and fat people may have fundamental differences. Emulating thinner folks may work - if you emulate their actions, but I don't think emulating internal processes always works very well. For example, the assumption that thin folks only eat when hungry. I can emulate that and still not be thin, because I may be naturally hungrier than thinner folks. Perhaps I was always hungrier, or perhaps I learned to be hungrier because of all the crash diets I've been on since kindergarten.

I don't think I can turn myself into a naturally thin person. I may always have to count every bite I put in my mouth. But that's ok. I don't care whether the process is "natural" or not, as long as it does the job I want it to do.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #15  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

I can understand that. One of my bffs is just like this. All of her family eats this way. She will eat one chicken leg and a hand full of veggies and not be able to eat for the rest of the day. I can never understand that.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote