General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #1  
too big to fail

Default food volume problem

I've been calorie counting on my vegan whole foods wheat free diet. I believe it is healthy nutritionally and I have been losing weight on it. I have been hitting my macronutrient goal of 15/35/50 (protein/fat/carb). My concern is this: I find it difficult to consume my meals in their entirety. I know this seems like a great problem to have for those here who struggle with hunger, but I don't want to eat below my calorie goal because of metabolic issues that may arise. My meals are HUGE because vegetables and whole grains are not dense sources of calories. For example, my dinner tonight was a big plate heaped with roast carrots, tofu, and butternut squash with some plain brown rice on the side.

I've thought about including more snacks but I'm really not a "snacker". I also don't want to add more oil or juices because the calories are from fat and sugar, which would make my protein percentage go down. I guess I am looking for a protein-rich calorie dense food source for vegans. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/126/120

Height: 5"4

Tempeh? Quinoa? Actually, I came across a recipe for a "Quinoa Protein Bowl" today which looked quite interesting. I can't post the direct link as I'm not active enough, but try looking for it on choosingraw dot com.

I'd think that you could do a lot with quinoa, actually - it's a complete protein, and you could spruce it up with a lot of delicious ingredients.
m4mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Ha. I have this issue too since large plates of grilled vegetables have become a major part of my diet, and I don't want to get back in the habit of eating when I'm not hungry. Do you eat a variety of nuts? Seeds and nuts take up a very small volume but are higher calorie, and have some protein and good fats. I tracked my vitamins a few weeks ago and I was kind of low on vitamin E so I have been trying to add small seeds that have that: toasted sesame seeds on grilled veggies, and (unsalted)* sunflower seeds and sliced almonds on top of salads and yogurt (or whatever would be your yogurt equivalent). Got some pecans and brazil nuts too but they are kind of pricey.

I keep wanting to say "whey protein" but of course that is not vegan. Those protein powders are specifically mixed to be high protein and lower fat though. There must be some vegan protein powders, check at your local vitamin shop or health food store. You can add protein powders to drinks and baked goods also if you bake.

*because salted nuts are kind of bingey for me.

Last edited by bronzeager; 04-16-2012 at 01:00 AM.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #4  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

I am not vegan but I eat very similarly to a vegan (minus the fact that I include chicken and fish! :P). I use a protein powder that it took months and months for me to find.

http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Basic...f=pd_sbs_hpc_3

I went through a couple really nasty ones and this is one of the cheapest ones and best tasting. I mix it into my vegan baked goods as well as make a Peanut butter/banana/almond milk/protein powder smoothie which is really good and supplements protein into my diet.
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #5  
too big to fail

Thanks for the tips guys, they are excellent! A protein shake is a great idea for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Nuts and quinoa are also excellent sources of protein. <3
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote