General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/148/135

Height: 5' 4"

Default Do You Plan Your Menu?

How much do you plan ahead? Do you plan your menu? Weekly? Daily?
kcoftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #2  
Start to Love You

Height: 5'5

I plan my meals first thing in the morning or the night before.
katieJames27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #3  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I plan my meals by the week, but I don't know what I'll make for dinner till, say, that morning. I have X ingriedents to make X things, so I know what I have to make, I just have to pick.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I both plan mine for the day and for the month. For example, whenever I have a free hour or two (usually on the weekends), I'll make a batch of soup and a few different dishes. I take the number of servings, divide my food into that many containers, and freeze them with calorie counts on them. At any given time I have probably 6 different types of soup and 6 different dinner meals.

The night before, though, I pack my lunch (always a frozen cup of soup that I've already made) and my two snacks (mid morning fruit/mid afternoon veggies with protein) for the following day.

I have generally the same breakfasts - sandwich or wrap that amounts to between 150-250 calories. Most of my dinners (pre-cooked) are between 300-400 calories each, so I just grab the one I want to eat or make something else that is quick cooking if I'm in the mood for another cuisine.

Night time snacks tend to stay the same, so I don't have to plan them so heavily.

My meals are so consistent, but the slight variance in calories is why I have a range of 1000-1200 calories/day.

Last edited by Munchy; 03-28-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I plan my meals 2 weeks at a time. We get a produce co-op thingy every other week, so it works best for me to find out what fruits and veg we get, then make the menus around that. It's a lot easier for me to stick to my plan when there's stuff around on my menu so I'm not tempted to stop at the drive-thru or eat crap and garbage. Also, by knowing ahead, I can plan for more food, more nutritious food, food that is awesome to eat. Better quality, more volume and less calories. It works really well for me when I do it that way. I do 1500-1800/day, calorie counting and weighing EVERYTHING except spices, Splenda and cooking spray ;-)

I haven't been very good lately at the breakfast and lunch and snacks, and it shows on my big fat butt! Just typing out what I normally do is being a help though because I am reminded of how I lost the first 60, and how I've gotten into some bad habits again.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #6  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

When I was calorie counting I did.

But I find that you can't preplan how you'll feel. I'm taking a more intuitive approach lately. If I'm hungry I'll give myself some wiggle room. If I'm not I don't force calories. I've been at this a LONG time, though. I know how many calories something has. I know what will make me retain water or crave sugar or feel like booty.

Starting out, I definitely think it's a good idea to preplan, though! If I start to slip into bad habits I go back to meticulously keeping track and meal planning. But, I'm another one that eats pretty much the same things every day.

Last edited by ValRock; 03-28-2012 at 06:08 PM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #7  

It takes planning to lose weight. I plan my meals by the week so I have all the foods I'll need in the house.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #8  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I don't, really - I've gotten to the point where I feel I can trust my own judgment. Too much planning for me = total anxiety whenever something comes up as seemingly benign as somebody offering me a cookie at work.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #9  
Patience & Tenacity

S/C/G: 386/T/154

Height: 5'6"

I do plan a few days ahead, but I'm not strict with it.

Like now, I have three servings of hamburger and veggie soup and some seasoned grilled chicken breast tenders with veggies, but if I wake up tomorrow and want salmon - I'll go get it and the meals just sit in the fridge.

I only have so many calories and I'm gonna eat what I crave (within calories of course). The soup can be frozen and eaten another day.
FrecklesTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 193.4 / 133.0 / 120

Height: 5'1

Yes, I make a general menu plan the previous night or during the early morning hours. Of course I leave wiggle room for deviations bc things happen.

Having a plan helps me a lot bc I know what to expect and gives me a routine that keeps me anchored.
hle82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #11  

I usually plan the night before. However, I keep a running grocery list so that all the foods I need are already in the house.
porusgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #12  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

I have a weekly meal plan. But, it is set up as a long term thing. Monday is a low day...it has three low day options for me to pick from in the morning to make sure I pull out meat to thaw or whatever prep is needed. Then Tuesday has 3 medium day choices. Wednesday has 3 high day options. Etc.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 192/134/127

Height: 5'3.75"

Loosely in that I usually spend a weekend cooking like a maniac, freeze everything in single serve portions and take it as I need it for lunches or when I don't have time or feel like cooking dinner.
Leading up to this weekend I have to do some preplanning, choose recipes take stock of what I have on hand, make grocery lists etc.
But when I do it right I can go as long as 2 months without having to worry about it again.
moviegrl1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegrl1737 View Post
Loosely in that I usually spend a weekend cooking like a maniac, freeze everything in single serve portions and take it as I need it for lunches or when I don't have time or feel like cooking dinner.
Leading up to this weekend I have to do some preplanning, choose recipes take stock of what I have on hand, make grocery lists etc.
But when I do it right I can go as long as 2 months without having to worry about it again.
Haha, me too
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:52 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 210/210/125

Height: 5"3

I usually plan it the night before because I can kind of see what cravings I'm having or if I need to change it up. It does help though to have your meals planned a whole in advance, it makes it easier to keep on track, but some might get bored of it so it depends on the individual.
WilloW176 is offline   Reply With Quote