3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > General Diet Plans and Questions

General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Dr. Anderson's Simple Diet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
alwe74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 204

S/C/G: HW:248/CW:248/GW:130

Height: 5'4"

Default Dr. Anderson's Simple Diet

I was just wondering if anybody has tried Dr. Anderson's Simple Diet. I just read about it in Woman's World magazine. It sounds pretty much like an easy way to do calorie counting. You just eat shakes, bars, and freezer meals that meet guidelines for calories, fat, and protein. Add to that 5 servings of fruits and vegetables and 20 min. of exercise a day. I think the diet ends up being around 1200-1400 calories. I started today and was hoping there were others doing this plan.
__________________
alwe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Queen Sarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 195

S/C/G: 169/130/125

Height: 5' 7"

Default

Sounds like Nutrisystem. It probably works, and is very convenient. I don't know what guidelines they use, but if it's healthy, it could be a good way to lose the weight. I used Nutrisystem, but eventually I want to be able to maintain on a diet of whole foods instead of so much convenience food.

As much as I advocate whole foods, there's a lot to be said for convenience. It worked for me.
Queen Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
alwe74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 204

S/C/G: HW:248/CW:248/GW:130

Height: 5'4"

Default

I think it probably is a lot like Nutrisystem, just more convenient and less expensive because you can buy the food at the grocery store. The guidelines are up to 300 calories, at least 10 grams of protein, and up to 9 grams of fat for the frozen entrees and 200 calories, 6 grams protein, and up to 10 grams of fat for the bars/shakes. I agree with you about the whole foods; however, I am a habitual breakfast skipper and I usually don't make the best choices at lunch (probably because I am starving). This way I make sure to eat a smoothie with fruit for breakfast and a decent portion-controlled lunch. I don't do the pre-packaged entree for dinner since I eat with my husband and son. I just make sure to make a healthy dinner that falls within the calorie/protein/fat guidelines. I also like how this diet makes you incorporate 5 servings of fruit and veggies and 20 minutes of exercise.
__________________
alwe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1

Default

I'm wondering how well this diet works for people who don't have a lot of weight to lose. I'm reading the book and it seems that most of the people who lost weight were morbidly obese. I only have about 30 pounds to lose so I am wondering how well this will work for me. I was doing WW and was eating 2 frozen entrees plus some fruit and veggies a day and wasn't losing and this seems like it's even more food than WW was. Of course, I wasn't exercising so maybe that's the difference. Anybody know whether or not this diet will work for those who are only somewhat overweight?
yarnaholic1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5

Default I'm down 8 lbs in 1 week!

I started The Simple Diet plan last Monday and I'm down 8 lbs so far. It is so easy to follow and fits into my life just perfect. I make a smoothie in the mornings with a special K shake, 1 cup fruit, chia seeds and my omega-3 and I'm not hungry all morning. I have to force myself to eat something every 3 hrs. The 2 frozen meals a day are great I love the Healthy Choice cause I get a dessert with my meal! I love this diet!
Imac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Munchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,525

S/C/G: 129/130.4/115

Default

The cheapest/healthiest way to do this would be to make your own freezer meals (I make an entire recipe and portion into number of portions and freeze in containers with calories labeled on them).

For someone that has very little to lose, the sodium from processed food may cause your body to retain water, and make it harder to take off pounds.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
freelancemomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,092

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Default

The diet sounds nutritionally solid, but its ultimate suitability will depend on whether you find shakes and bars satisfying. I don't, so the diet wouldn't appeal to me. One thing that helped me through my 50-pound weight loss last year and that's helping me maintain now is a commitment to eat only foods I love. Healthy foods, sure, but nothing I feel ho-hum about and nothing eaten just as "fuel."

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
alwe74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 204

S/C/G: HW:248/CW:248/GW:130

Height: 5'4"

Default

@Munchy, I like the idea of homemade freezer meals. I'm a full time working mother and I go to school so I just don't have a lot of free time to make them. I only do one of the frozen dinners for lunch and I have dinner with my family at night. I try to drink plenty of water and choose the lowest sodium options I can.
@Imac12, congratulations on doing so well. I kind of started last week and lost 3 lbs. in the first three days, but then kind of went off plan for the super bowl. I've been back on plan this week but I haven't weighed myself yet. It's been a very stressful week so I'm not expecting much. It is a pretty easy diet to follow though.
__________________
alwe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Munchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,525

S/C/G: 129/130.4/115

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwe74 View Post
@Munchy, I like the idea of homemade freezer meals. I'm a full time working mother and I go to school so I just don't have a lot of free time to make them. I only do one of the frozen dinners for lunch and I have dinner with my family at night. I try to drink plenty of water and choose the lowest sodium options I can.
That's EXACTLY why I make them (single mom, full time worker, active in the community). They save so much time! If you have 1 hour, you can make three easy meals at once. If each of those meals serves six, you have 18 meals in your freezer.

If you find time to make just two meals a week, you end up with a crazy arsenal meals to choose from. I make two (often double batches) of soups over the weekends so I can pull one for lunch everyday and always make at least one "dinner" dish over the weekend.

Once in a while I can squeeze in a half an hour during the week to make something really easy that doesn't need to cook long (like zucchini meatballs, poaching/pan-searing chicken, turkey sausage patties, veggie/chicken nuggets, frozen burritos, sauced beans). Usually not

I freeze everything so that I can just come home, pull out what I'm eating, and warm it up.

Last edited by Munchy : 02-09-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5

Default

I make pre-made meals for my family (3 kids and a husband) every week (mostly WW recipes), plus I work 1 fulltime job and 2 part-time jobs. And yes, this is a wonderful time saver and money saver as well. But if my pre-made meals where the key to making me thin, then I should have been thin years ago.

My biggest issue is protion control. Thats what is so wonderful about this diet and the store bought pre-packaged frozen meals and protien shakes (and why so many people choose the pre-packaged weightloss plans). It is all about the portion. I can't take a few more bites of that left over casserole while cleaning up dinner, cause there is no left over in my little pre-packaged meal.

Every person has a different idea of what convienence and will power means to them. So please just choose what will work for your life style.

I took this diet to my doctor and she said it's a great diet and that as long as I drink my water I don't need to worry about the sodium. But every person has different health issues, so please check with your doctor.

Alwk74, Keep sticking with it! It really works!
Imac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Munchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,525

S/C/G: 129/130.4/115

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac12 View Post
I make pre-made meals for my family (3 kids and a husband) every week (mostly WW recipes), plus I work 1 fulltime job and 2 part-time jobs. And yes, this is a wonderful time saver and money saver as well. But if my pre-made meals where the key to making me thin, then I should have been thin years ago.

My biggest issue is protion control. Thats what is so wonderful about this diet and the store bought pre-packaged frozen meals and protien shakes (and why so many people choose the pre-packaged weightloss plans). It is all about the portion. I can't take a few more bites of that left over casserole while cleaning up dinner, cause there is no left over in my little pre-packaged meal.

Every person has a different idea of what convienence and will power means to them. So please just choose what will work for your life style.

I took this diet to my doctor and she said it's a great diet and that as long as I drink my water I don't need to worry about the sodium. But every person has different health issues, so please check with your doctor.

Alwk74, Keep sticking with it! It really works!
I absolutely agree regarding portions. When I pre-make meals, I already did the math, I already froze the appropriate amount into individual containers, so I just pull one out! You can't beat that. I'm not going to thaw/warm an entire new serving just to take a bite, so I stop eating.

I love it!

In terms of casseroles, I usually just freeze them for a few hours, then cut them into number of portions. I freeze the little individual squares side by side in a large ziploc bag.

Since I'm only cooking for myself and my child, this obviously works well. When I was married, I would pre-cook, but not freeze, because the "regular" portions were too small for my ex husband.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
alwe74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 204

S/C/G: HW:248/CW:248/GW:130

Height: 5'4"

Default

@Munchy, you've convinced me to give it a go. I usually have leftovers from dinner anyways. I'll just make sure to portion them out so that I can't have bigger portions than what I should. I definitely have the same problem as Imac12. I always end up eating larger portions than I should. My biggest problem isn't large portions though, it's snacking at night after dinner. I'm usually up late studying after everyone else has gone to bed. That's when it seems like I can't stay out of the kitchen. Part of it is habit but part of it is that we eat dinner early (usually before 6) and by 10-10:30 I am hungry again. I know that some people suggest drinking tea and sometimes that helps but sometimes it doesn't.
__________________
alwe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
Kos
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1

Default

I started this diet a week ago and have lost 6lbs. I absolutely love it! Ive done weight watchers since I was a kid. I was looking for an alternative to it because since they changed the plan there is more and more "figuring out" which I hate!! Also it cut back the amount of protein and introduced more "carbs" which my body loves to consume and quickly turn into fat! So I was looking for a high protein diet with fast results to maintain my muscle mass and refire my metabolism. I like it for the conveinence also, a protein meal bar at work for break (especially when my sweet tooth is aching) or meal in the microwave when Im hungry. Also making shakes that taste like creamsicles, apple pies and such.

I think its working well. I too was a bit apprehensive using packaged foods, but have learned already to manage a few homemade meals based on the doctor's specifications. I haven't received the book yet which Im eagerly anticipating.

Im actually excited about losing weight again!
Kos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
alwe74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 204

S/C/G: HW:248/CW:248/GW:130

Height: 5'4"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos View Post
I started this diet a week ago and have lost 6lbs. I absolutely love it! Ive done weight watchers since I was a kid. I was looking for an alternative to it because since they changed the plan there is more and more "figuring out" which I hate!! Also it cut back the amount of protein and introduced more "carbs" which my body loves to consume and quickly turn into fat! So I was looking for a high protein diet with fast results to maintain my muscle mass and refire my metabolism. I like it for the conveinence also, a protein meal bar at work for break (especially when my sweet tooth is aching) or meal in the microwave when Im hungry. Also making shakes that taste like creamsicles, apple pies and such.

I think its working well. I too was a bit apprehensive using packaged foods, but have learned already to manage a few homemade meals based on the doctor's specifications. I haven't received the book yet which Im eagerly anticipating.

Im actually excited about losing weight again!
Great Job! I'm glad it's working out for you!
__________________
alwe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 101

Default

I just picked up the book and read through the first half (phase I) yesterday and went and stocked up on shakes and meals last night. This seems like it will be a super easy plan to follow, definitely a "simple" diet for sure. My biggest problem is that I'm lazy where it comes to cooking or putting together meals which is where a lot of eating out (be it fast food or sit down restaurants) came into play. I know I'll eventually need to learn how to prepare healthy meals and I have done it before in the past. I just think this seems perfect to kind of jump start the weight-loss.

So it's been a few days since you guys last posted here. How's the diet working out for y'all? Still stoked about it? Also, do you guys think the Atkin's shakes are permitted? Though they're pricier, they have a few more flavors. They do hit it pretty close to the protein and fat requirements for the shakes though I think. Does anyone actually stick to a meal schedule or do you just grab a shake/entree when you're hungry?

Any other tips or suggestions from those that have been on it for a bit now? I'm excited to get started today!
essbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 10/27-11/2 Debelli Sugar Shakers 181 11-02-2003 04:58 PM
RECOMMENDED READING - Books, Articles & Links to Websites Debelli Sugar Shakers 63 08-14-2003 08:56 AM
Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 8/13-8/19 Debelli Sugar Shakers 110 08-22-2001 05:39 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2