General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 192/190/130

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieCormier View Post
I also need to go buy more shake mix. I'm so afraid of buying some, I never know how good they'll taste. Any brands I should look out for that are tasty? I'm looking for a vanilla flavor.
I try to look for ones without Splenda because I get weird reactions if I have too much. My fave is Metabolic Reset, which I get on Amazon. It has chocolate, vanilla and strawberry and they are all really good.

I had a terrible day yesterday, I'm visiting my mom's and of course she has all of my favorite junk foods. I was doing fine until she pulled out the chips and onion dip. Oh, well...back on the wagon today.

Kristin
kln75a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 192/190/130

Height: 5' 3"

Oh, I forgot to mention the app I'm using is called Calorie Counter, it has a barcode scanner, you can just scan the package, enter the number of servings and then save! The fruits and veggies you just search by name. You can also put in your exercise, it even calculates what you are burning when resting and sleeping. LOL I love it.

Kristin
kln75a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 198/161/127 (started 03/2012)

Height: 5'1"

Awe Kristin it's hard, but you can do this! You are worth it.

Last night we went out shopping (I ended up having a McDonald's McDouble and their side salad without dressing though and I don't do cheese on my burgers). Well I think that set me up because later I REALLY wanted nachos. In a bad way. We were driving past a Taco Bueno and that's why. I knew there were 2-3 more on the way home and I said if I still want them by the time I get to the one closest to the house, get them. I didn't. I didn't want to deal with feeling guilty over some fake food (and I don't even LIKE fast food nachos that much--like out of my favorite foods they are not even in the top 50). I was happy.

But anyway Sophie hope to see you post.

Stats for yesterday, Friday, August 3rd
Calories 1443
Cycling 25 minutes

No yoga. I wasn't moved to do it so since I don't schedule a "rest day" I figured that was fine. Also went mall and back to school shopping for four hours with my daughter...so I did walk more than usual, but we were not like speed walking obviously.
SerenityDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #124  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Just read the book. I was pleasantly surprised at the sensibility of this plan. I didn't realize the plan was so sustainable.

I like to cook, and I firmly believe in the paleo, mostly-whole food lifestyle, but hubby and I have health problems that sometimes get in the way of preparing food from scratch. Having easy to prepare, paleo-friendly foods handy isn't impossible, but it is a struggle. So we do rely on homemade and store-bought frozen meals all-year 'round, but especially in the winter (the worst symptom season for both hubby and I).

As a result, I'll be using the plan a little differently than most, I would guess. As I plan on alternating the plan with my paleo exchange plan. Or working my paleo recipes into the plan.

Right before hearing about this plan, I bought the supplies for making more of my own frozen dinners, to take advantage of this being my best time of year so I can stock up on paleo-friendly dinners for winter and spring when my health issues flare more.

I've been hearing rumors about paleo-friendly frozen dinners - and more paleo-friendly bars and shakes, coming onto the market soon, which would make using this plan permanently much more feasible.

There are also a lot of paleo-friendly cookbooks coming out (I hope they include nutrition information as well, so it will be easier to make sure they fit the Simple Diet criteria).

When I have the time and energy, I don't mind doing the extra work even the nutritional information calculations (I just use the recipe-builder feature on Spark People).

I think this plan might face less criticism if the term "meal-replacement," didn't come with the misled belief that shakes, bars, soups and frozen dinners aren't "real" meals and therefore are inherently less satisfying physically and emotionally, and are inevitably chemically-laden frankenfoods.

Some but not all are. There are many whole and wholesome food options (sure the low-nutrition options are more plentiful, and less expensive) but I love that this is a plan that is feasible for a wider range of income, lifestyle, and cooking skill/interest.

Buying a rotisserie chicken doesn't teach you how to cook a chicken from scratch, but not everyone wants to. And I think the same is true of ready-to-eat meals. As options improve, more and more healthy meals are becoming available, so if a person doesn't want to prepare their food from scratch, they don't have to... ever.

I'm starting to vent and ramble, but I'm really excited about using this plan, whether alone or in tandem with my paleo exchange plan.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #125  

Kaplods I hope they do offer more paleo, or ANY really, frozen entrees soon. What I've done in the past is a lot of grilling inside, so like salmon or tuna, chicken breasts or boneless skinless thighs, etc. then make veggies. But yeah there are days where even 30 minutes is 25 too long especially if you have other issues going on. I don't know it is this thread or another, but I do still cook daily for the kids and husband, and sometimes, probably once a week, I eat what I cook even though technically that's not "on plan.". I don't want to lose the ability to portion control and for me it's working, and obviously I'll continue. I hope the rumors are true on the more paleo though! Crossing fingers.

I also think people assume this is slim fast or something. I average about 1300 calories a day, but as much as 1700. I'm short though and my only real activities for now are housework and scheduled exercise.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #126  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I also think the book really is required reading, because the authors stress important information that just cannot be conveyed in a paragraph or even a page or two.

Such as the focus on "volume and variety," the regular exercise (working up to at least 2000 extra calories burned each week), the documentation food/logging aspect, and involving other people in your weight loss... and also the transitioning instructions for maintenance.

Vital components that are easily overlooked. The diet is simple, but oversimplifying it, means a lot can get lost in translation.

I read the book very quickly, and to retain all the great information, I'm going to have to buy the book so I always have the book as a handy reference.

I wish I had written down more of the suggeted products before returning the book, but I'll just have to wait until payday and I can buy the book from amazon. Might buy the kindle version, haven't decided.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #127  

S/C/G: 194/Ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityDiva View Post
Awe Kristin it's hard, but you can do this! You are worth it.

Last night we went out shopping (I ended up having a McDonald's McDouble and their side salad without dressing though and I don't do cheese on my burgers). Well I think that set me up because later I REALLY wanted nachos. In a bad way. We were driving past a Taco Bueno and that's why. I knew there were 2-3 more on the way home and I said if I still want them by the time I get to the one closest to the house, get them. I didn't. I didn't want to deal with feeling guilty over some fake food (and I don't even LIKE fast food nachos that much--like out of my favorite foods they are not even in the top 50). I was happy.

But anyway Sophie hope to see you post.

Stats for yesterday, Friday, August 3rd
Calories 1443
Cycling 25 minutes

No yoga. I wasn't moved to do it so since I don't schedule a "rest day" I figured that was fine. Also went mall and back to school shopping for four hours with my daughter...so I did walk more than usual, but we were not like speed walking obviously.
Eeee! I'm sorry! I went WAY off plan all weekend (including Monday since I was off). I ran out of frozen entres and only remembered yesterday but all the stores were closed because it was holiday so I'm off plan today too... I did buy myself two big cans of shake mix (Cookies/Cream & Vanilla). I'm planning on starting again tomorrow. I'm going to buy enough for the week because I think I went off plan because I ran out and forgot to buy more so I didn't have any on hand. I'll get it together though. I still never read the WHOLE book so I'm putting that on my to-do list this week.
SophieCormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #128  

Kaplods I have the kindle version and a few of the tables were hard to read (I use an iPad and iPhone to read it on), but nothing was missed (I just blew it up and stuff). But I think the book itself will be cheaper...depending on S&H. Or try that paperbackswap site? I bet that has it!

Sophie!!! The biggest thing with ANY eating is be prepared. So now you are and honestly it will get easier. Everytime I go off plan now it's because of not having food, I'm starting to be able to WAIT and assess if I have real hunger or boredom/head hunger, and so far 100% of the time when it's a stress time it's HEAD hunger. I have been reading about that some lately. Anyway get back on track
Old 08-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #129  

Quote:
Sophie!!! The biggest thing with ANY eating is be prepared. So now you are and honestly it will get easier. Everytime I go off plan now it's because of not having food, I'm starting to be able to WAIT and assess if I have real hunger or boredom/head hunger, and so far 100% of the time when it's a stress time it's HEAD hunger. I have been reading about that some lately. Anyway get back on track
I totally agree with being prepared. I guess I thought I'd go back during the week to get more and I didn't (shame on me!). I also downloaded some apps on my phone to track exercise. Walking will be IT for me for a while and then I'll work up to some weight lifting. Thanks for giving me a shove. God knows I need em!
Old 08-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #130  

Awe you're welcome!

Crap I keep forgetting to post my food here:

Monday:
Calories 1396
Yoga 55 minutes
Cycling 25 minutes

I don't know if I mentioned I upped my speed to 15-16 MPH and increased the duration 5 minutes. I still can't do even simple thing like WALK without my feet killing me (yes I have orthotics and shoes that are $$ and they do help, but not 100%)...so cycling is it for planned exercise. I'm hoping the more weight drops, the more I can get back to walking and maybe walk one or both kids to school and make the park loop in the morning (about 1-2 miles?). I don't plan on stopping my yoga, although one day a week is generally more gentle/yin yoga versus power.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #131  

I've found the inspiration I needed to start exercising:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHIqY...ure=plpp_video
I sent her an email to see how she did it. She did 3 Jillian Michaels workout videos: 30 Day Shred and then Ripped in 30 & then Body Revolution. I'm going to do the same along with following the Simple Diet I have these dvds somewhere. Gonna find them!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #132  

You can do it Jillian's workouts are really good. I have tried a few in the past and in my opinion they are pretty solid routines. If I still had Shred I'd send it to you, but I traded it awhile ago. You could probably find them pretty cheap, Shred and the ones that are not the newest. I like Jackie Warner's too (I prefer her personality to Jillian's, but that's just me). One of my really tiny friends (she's like 5'1" and 100 pounds) got SO much more defined once she added Body Revolution than she did in TEN YEARS that I've known her. She's always been fit and thin, but the changes were amazing...and she loves it's only 30 minutes.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #133  

Quote:
You can do it Jillian's workouts are really good. I have tried a few in the past and in my opinion they are pretty solid routines. If I still had Shred I'd send it to you, but I traded it awhile ago. You could probably find them pretty cheap, Shred and the ones that are not the newest. I like Jackie Warner's too (I prefer her personality to Jillian's, but that's just me). One of my really tiny friends (she's like 5'1" and 100 pounds) got SO much more defined once she added Body Revolution than she did in TEN YEARS that I've known her. She's always been fit and thin, but the changes were amazing...and she loves it's only 30 minutes.
Thanks! I never heard of Jackie Warner. I always loved Jillian, used to watch Biggest Loser a lot and she was my fave. I found my cds! Tomorrow is day one of 30 Day Shred. It's also my redo of the first day of Simple Diet. I'm going to keep track of my calories and post them with you Serenity. I'm going to weigh in tomorrow morning to be my new start weigh-in. I'm thinking of getting my mearurements done. Seeing inches lost is always a motivator.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #134  

I am 99% sure Jackie had some TV show, but I can't remember and never watched it. I bought her DVDs because they were cheap and they are good, but right now I'm so into yoga I don't do them.

Anyway yesterday's food:

Calories 1490
Yoga 55 minutes
Cardio 25 minutes

How goes the Shredding? LOL.

I restarted a DVD program I had bought last year, Kurt Johnsen's APY60 (American Power Yoga 60 day thingie). ANYWAY I figured it's a no brainer for me as far as figuring out workouts then. He does this 10-20 minute thing in the morning where you "wake up" the body with light stretches and stuff, then a challenge, like smile at everyone you see today and see who smiles back, everytime you see blue take a deep breath, etc., etc. Those are 6 days a week and the same yoga practice for 6 days a week, one off day, and this goes on for 10 weeks. I did it during the holidays last year and didn't measure (because I was depressed about it). This time I did take hip, waist, abs, and thigh measurements and I guess I'm around the same weight as Monday 171 pounds so we'll see.

He also has a diet program, but it's like no sugars, no white food, no processed food, no caffeine, etc., etc. It's too hard core for me now and if I get into that mindset I get REALLY picky about my intake, which takes over other people's intake and I get judgemental or close too...so I'm not following that. But I have done some of the recipes and they are good.

And gross I tried Weight Watcher's Mushroom and Spinach pizza. The sauce tasted like cream of mushroom soup and I swear they used CANNED MUSHROOMS which I cannot stand on pizza. So just a warning, although some people might like it.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #135  

Quote:
I am 99% sure Jackie had some TV show, but I can't remember and never watched it. I bought her DVDs because they were cheap and they are good, but right now I'm so into yoga I don't do them.

Anyway yesterday's food:

Calories 1490
Yoga 55 minutes
Cardio 25 minutes

How goes the Shredding? LOL.

I restarted a DVD program I had bought last year, Kurt Johnsen's APY60 (American Power Yoga 60 day thingie). ANYWAY I figured it's a no brainer for me as far as figuring out workouts then. He does this 10-20 minute thing in the morning where you "wake up" the body with light stretches and stuff, then a challenge, like smile at everyone you see today and see who smiles back, everytime you see blue take a deep breath, etc., etc. Those are 6 days a week and the same yoga practice for 6 days a week, one off day, and this goes on for 10 weeks. I did it during the holidays last year and didn't measure (because I was depressed about it). This time I did take hip, waist, abs, and thigh measurements and I guess I'm around the same weight as Monday 171 pounds so we'll see.

He also has a diet program, but it's like no sugars, no white food, no processed food, no caffeine, etc., etc. It's too hard core for me now and if I get into that mindset I get REALLY picky about my intake, which takes over other people's intake and I get judgemental or close too...so I'm not following that. But I have done some of the recipes and they are good.

And gross I tried Weight Watcher's Mushroom and Spinach pizza. The sauce tasted like cream of mushroom soup and I swear they used CANNED MUSHROOMS which I cannot stand on pizza. So just a warning, although some people might like it.
Wow, you had a lot of exercise in yesterday! A lot more than me... 0...
I didn't do the dvd yet. I'm doing it after dinner though.
I tried the Cookie N' Cream protein shake today, YUMMY! It's so thick and good, even with water. Yum! I think it'll get rid of my sweet tooth I have sometimes. I can't wait to try the vanilla one. I'm counting my calories. I'll post them tomorrow morning. My start weight is 178.8lbs.