General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 216/ticker/164

Height: 5'8"

Today was my first day on the Simple Diet - found it fairly easy but did wind up kind of hungry by the end of the day. I think adding stuff to the shakes will probably fix that right up.
robotfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 170/149.2/150

I bought the book today and plan on starting the diet tomorrow.
robinobx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #63  
I think I can...

@ Robot I think having a thicker more satisfying shake makes a big difference. And in the book he says it's fine to have more than 5 servings of fruit and veggies. Also he says if you're really hungry go ahead and have another entree that it's better than eating something else. Some of the smart ones the smaller ones have maybe 180 calories (less than the slimfast) so that shouldn't hurt too much.
Robin how did day 1 go for you?
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #64  

Hi,

Dr. Anderson said he uses the Banquet dinners which he buys in a superstore. I can't fine any banquet dinner that is not full of fat so can anyone give me the name of acceptable Banquet meals(or other inexpensive meals) that fit his criteria. The Banquets are very inexpensive but I am not successful in finding low fat versions.

I have only read articles on the diet. For those of you who have read the book, do you think it is necessary to buy or not?

Any tips those of you on the diet could share would be most appreciated.

Good luck to all and thanks.
Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #65  

I haven't found many really good Banquet dinners but I did some digging online and there are many Budget Gourmet and Michelina's dinners that will fit the bill. They're about $1.20. Safeway (if you have one near you) also has decent ones for like $2.30. I definitely feel like I spent more than I needed to on frozen meals this week because I was buying the WW and Healthy Choice $4+ ones.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #66  

It's going good so far. I stopped by the grocery store and picked up some more dinners. They were $10 for 10 for the Michellina's brand and Walmart usually have the Banquet dinners for $ 0.88.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #67  

Robotfingers

These are the Banquet ones listed in the book:
cheese smothered charbroiled patties
chicken nuggets and fries
chicken pasta marinara
chicken with dumplings
creamy broccoli chicken & cheese with rice
salisbury steak meal

Last edited by robinobx1; 03-05-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #68  
I think I can...

The Banquet Chicken nuggets and fries is not good at all and the nuggets I don't think they are chicken at all. They are brown in the middle (yuck!) so that one is out for me and I have never seen any of the others.
@ Sheridan I downloaded the book on Kindle and honestly I don't see why you would need to read it. It's chock full of stats and Case studies.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #69  

Thanks Robin!

And yeah I don't think the book is particularly necessary. It might be good later into the program when he says how to reintroduce other foods, but if you're just looking for the info on the first part you can sum it up in one sentence.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #70  

I enjoyed day 1, day 2 was okay, by day 3 I hate the 3 protein shakes/day and I feel hungry. I don't know if I will make it through day 4 tomorrow. I keep thinking of all the things I could have for the same calories as the protein shakes that I enjoy.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #71  

Hi,
Thanks so much to all of you for the help. I picked up a bunch of the Banquet salisbury and I thought it was fine.The list was a big help -thanks Robin. Our stores have a skimpy array of the lower cost products like the Banquet and Michelina because they push the others with modest sales but they are still overpriced in my opinion.

I think I will hold off on the book until I see if I can stick to this. Thanks for letting me know that it is not mandatory at the start. Stats are great but the key is can any one individual actually do the diet.

I use the HMR shakes mainy because I like the taste and I have no aftertaste from them but again they are quite the non value for your money.

I don't understand why you cannot eat your own cooked foods if you stay in the guidelines.This is a puzzle to me as they are probably better than
some of the package meals in terms of nutrition and sodium.

I know this plan works but I am struggling. I like my shakes and they fill me up but not so keen on the entrees. I never seem to have enough food and would add a big salad but the thought of ff dressings does not appeal.(Anyone know of a good tasting ff salad dressing?)

Aslo what can you add to coffee?I hate black and get the idea that it is not OK to add milk. I tried tea but I am a die hard coffee person.

Also I am finding ot hard to do all the exercise as I have some mobility issues and could never walk 3 miles a day.

Gee,I sound full of excuses but I am doing the best I can. Need to fine tune my approach . Sometimes I will eat an entree for breakfast which is probably not the best use of the entrees.

Well I guess I will just keep on as I really want this to work as it is so easy. On ww I was always thinking about recipes and it drove me nuts. I like the simplicity of this plan but it sure is not a walk in the park.

Sending good thoughts to all of you on this journey.

Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #72  
I think I can...

Hi guys! Still going strong. I had 2 birthday's and had cake and still lost!
Sheridan I think you can play around with it to find whatworks for you. I skip the bars which vary between 100-200 calories and will have a 100 calorie snack. It has been cheetos this week, I may buy some 100 calorie pouches of cookies next week. I rarely have 3 shakes, but since I still have about 200 calories left in my "bank" I may have a small bowl of cheerios or some other snack with less than 9 grams of fat. I would also say go ahead and have your milk in your coffee. It's not about deprivation because you will quit if you feel deprived.
Also sometimes I do make my own food if I know I can keep the stats similar to the packaged foods. Yesterday for lunch I had a Turkey Sandwich. 2 slices of sprouted grain bread @ 80 cals each for 160 calories, Sliced turkey breast 90 calories, Low fat cheese 50 calories and dijonaisse about 10 calories then added a ton of veggies to the sandwich and had cheetos on the side for 100 and a 5 calorie pickle. It was about 415 calories and I was very satisfied. I skipped the afternoon shake and didn't have any bars so I didn't worry about the lunch being over a bit because I was still well below my calories.
Maybe something like that can work for you?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #73  

I'm finding the same thing - I had pizza and still lost, and I'm starting to substitute things for the same number of calories (roughly). It's also pretty easy to get in your five servings of fruits and veggies. I keep a bag of grapes and a bag of carrot sticks at my desk and just munch on those if I get hungry. I've found that my body seems to be getting used to fewer calories and I'm not nearly as hungry as I was last week.

Is everybody getting all of their exercise in? That's the part I'm finding the hardest...
Old 03-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #74  

I'm at the end of my second week of the Simple Diet. I lost 6.2 lbs the first week. This week I haven't lost an ounce and, this morning it appeared that I gained a pound! I've been fat forever and been on every diet. I've never NOT had a loss in the second week.

I was making a pretty big change. I went from totally sedentary to walking every day. From candy and crap to following the plan to a T. I'm a little sick of frozen food already. And I'd kill for a french fry. Like, really. I'd kill for one.

I'm going to stay the course and hope that it gets better next week. I'm also going to check some grocery stores that I don't usually go to in an effort to find some lower prices and variety in the frozen food.
soulnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #75  

Unhappy getting discouraged

My Mom & I have been on the Simple Diet for 4 weeks now. I have lost 10 lbs but seem to be ata stabd still. I have not cheated once! However, I did notice that people say the book states to drink 8 glasses of water but the Womens Day article did not say that. Wonder if this is the problem. Also I'm noticing swelling in my ankles & feet. Any advice? I like the diet but have been at the same weight for two weeks now!
smoothbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote