General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #1  

Default Confused

So,
I notice that if I do not exercise at all in the day, I do not lose weight. I either maintain or gain. (Gain if I think I've eaten a bit more junkier foods. Yet it still only comes out to about 1,200 cals at the end of the day)

What confuses me, is that I will do this if I'm only eating 1,000 calories (and am active through the day)
I volunteer some days of the week. Various jobs.. walking/cleaning/etc.
On these days, I do not feel like exercising (cardio) when I get home. I still eat well..like I said.. not going over maybe 1,000 calories.

It seems I still maintain doing this.
I only seem to lose if I eat 800-1000 in the day and work off all but 200 of those calories.

I've heard of people losing just by reducing the amount of calories they eat.
These aren't all junk calories...so what's up..what am I doing wrong?
Yomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

How tall are you? What's your BMI? What does a typical day of food look like? How long have you been tracking your calories/weight?

Your body likes to keep you within a healthy weight range.

You need to be eating more... not because I believe in starvation mode, but because you're not getting the nutrients your body needs to function properly.

Last edited by ValRock; 06-14-2012 at 08:24 PM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 172/ticker/114

Height: 5'3"

when i first started trying to lose weight i kept myself at 1200 calories, and sometimes i didn't even meet that. after awhile it was hard for my body to consistently lose weight, and i upped my cals to 1500. at first i "gained" because it was more food than i was used to consuming, but now the weight is going off more steadily. your body isn't going to get all the nutrients it needs off of 800-1000cals a day.
delyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #4  

Sometimes I don't even mean to go under 1,000..I drink a ton of water in the day and just do not get hungry.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4.5

your body will get used to what you give it.. i would make it a priority to eat at least 1200 cals. I do believe in starvation mode, I've tried to lose weight eating very low calorie many times and lost very little weight and gained very easily (after losing a bunch at first). Eventually I always gave up in frustration. If you're finding it difficult to add more calories just adjust current meals.. maybe 2 tbsp of pb, an extra glass of almond milk etc
Harpersi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 286/262/176

Height: 5'8"

If your not getting enough calories your metabolism slows down. One of the issues especially with calorie counting is people think If I'm eating less and I'm under surely that's better. It's not, you need a healthy balance of food and enough protein. You lose more eating more protein, most of us don't eat enough protein.
collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #7  

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see where you've stated what your current weight is.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #8  

Oh, sorry about that!
I'm at 169-169.5 right now. (scale can't make up it's mind)
19lbs away from my goal..
Old 06-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #9  

I'm in the same exact place as you. If I don't move and eat 1200, I maintain. What a headache this can be! Strength training might be the best thing for you. I personally have an easier time doing a handful of sets rather than 20 agonizing minutes on some sort of cardio machine, and the change in activity might kicks your body into action as far as weight loss. Good luck, and let me know if you figure things out.
stunzorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #10  

Hmm. . . how long does the not-losing trend last when you don't exercise?

I ask because with low a calorie count, you should be losing even without exercise at your height and weight. Have you had your thyroid checked?

Have you tried cycling your calories, i.e., eating more on some days, less on other days, but averaging a total of 8400 or so a week (if you want to stick to an average of 1200 per day---even though that seems low)? Some people say that eating at a different daily calorie level helps you lose more consistently than eating at the same calorie level each day.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomp View Post
I haven't had my thyroid checked. Don't think I'm at the age to need things like that regulraly checked..
I would normally agree, but it just doesn't make sense that you aren't losing at 1000-1200 calories, regardless of whether you sit on the couch all day. I mean, your BMR is more than that. It's unusual----particularly for someone as young as you. If you're sure you're weighing and measuring all your food accurately and are truely only eating 1000-1200, my advice would be to see a doctor because what's happening should not be happening.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #12  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

You run the risk of deficiencies and things if you eat the same thing every day. It's better to get variety. Be careful with the tuna! The risk of mercury poisoning is real. I don't eat it more than once a week for that reason.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #13  

Ah ok.
Thanks

And mercury poisoning? In tuna? Never heard of it.
Will go research.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #14  

Also thought I would say I measured myself today.
According to the last measurements I took a few weeks ago,
I'm 1 1/2 inches down in my hips (never thought THAT was possible :P)
1/2 inch down in my waist
and 2 inches down my bust. (...)
And I may have lost in my arms by 1/4 if an inch. I can't turn my head like an owl to really see.

I'm 99.999999% certain it's my thighs sucking in everything and never letting go.