General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 168/163/110

Height: 5'2"

Default I am starting a 60 day juice fast tomorrow.

Hello everyone, I have been around this site for quite long time. I think I've gathered enough info to fill a book, but somehow I am not able to implement any of that in my real life. Last year, when I thought it was end of the world, I was around 161 lbs., now I am 10 lbs heavier. So I think I am more focussed on results and it is very hard for me to stick to plan where I don't see any quick results. Another problem is portion control, either I eat the food until I feel uncomfortable or I just don't eat. There are other big problems in my life too..bad relationship, no job etc. That's why I've decided to take control and follow this quick route.
Recently I saw the movie fat, sick and nearly dead. It made sense to me. I bought a juicer today and now I am ready to start. I don't know if I'll be able to do this, but I'll promise you all, that I'll try my best. I am hoping to change my taste buds and break this carb addiction that I have. Last year I also had a bad month of Rheumatoid like symptoms, even though doctors didn't find anything. After that, I am more scared for my health also. I feel I need this drastic change, otherwise my big tummy and even bigger boobs are going to choke me to death. Please, wish me luck. I'll also post daily updates to keep me motivated.
Thanks for reading all this.
PS: If you find some problems with the grammar and sentence structure, I apologize in advance. Actually I've learned English as a second language after coming to US.
wantmytummyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Congratulations on wanting to lose weight, but I don't think a juice fast is a realistic or healthy option for you. In reality, most of those diets that offer extreme loss in exchange for extreme behavior cannot help you to keep the weight off. You said you worried about your health, but you'll be starving your body of the nutrients it needs and will most likely have side effects from the malnutrition. Secondly, you say you want to break your carb addition, but a juice fast implies that the vast majority of your calories will be from carbs.

The only way to lose weight and keep it off is to make slow, incremental lifestyle changes. Anything too extreme can damage your body and mind, leaving your more prone to illness and extreme overeating in the future.

Also, you said: "it is very hard for me to stick to plan where I don't see any quick results." On any healthy diet, you can expect to lose 1-2lbs per week, with perhaps a few more in the first week. At your weight, you're considered a "featherweight," which means that it's very common for people of similar size to lose 1lb/week. If you need quick results, I suggest plastic surgery would be a significantly safer option.

However, if you want to change your life and your lifestyle, and if you're willing to accept that change can be slow if it's going to be permanent, then I suggest looking around the 3fc site a bit more. Here, you will find sub-forums about many different types of diets, and you can browse through them in order to learn about which may be right for you.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #3  
it's always something

Welcome to 3FC

If you check the website that goes with the movie, www.jointhereboot.com , they recommend going a different route than the guy followed in the movie. They suggest 5 days of eating lots of vegetables and fruits with some juicing, followed by 5 days of juicing vegetables, then another 5 days of veggies and fruits with some juicing.

There are a couple of people here that are trying this. One is on our 100lb club forum and the other is in the 20 somethings forum. The reboot site also has a forum (sort of a forum anyway) where people are sharing their tips and progress. The biggest thing seems to be to juice a lot more veggies than juice, and choose them carefully so you get enough protein, calcium, and other nutrients. If you go for the full juice fast, they stress that it's important to get constant monitoring by your physician for health safety.

Good luck!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #4  

Good luck! I wish you all the best! On Jan. 2nd, I stopped eating. It lasted until May 12. All I had for those 4 1/2 months was Atkins shakes, and protein powder mixed in water...and vitamins. I didn't have any sugar at all...so no juice or fruit...just Atkins protein shakes and protein powder in a blender mixed in water with ice cubes. I lost about 55 pounds. Since then, I started eating again and made the big mistake of eating all the crap that made me gain weight in the first place! How dumb! I've gained it all back...so started back again tomorrow with my Atkins shakes and protein powder...when I start eating again, I will eat only low carb...NO SUGAR or FLOUR/STARCH for me. Is this the best and/or healthiest way to lose the weight? No, maybe not. But I felt great and it worked. Be careful and listen to your body. Whatever you do, don't do what I did and go back to eating the bad foods. Take care.
hatgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #5  
yehaw!!

S/C/G: 220/166/150

Height: 5'3

i say one thing to you good luck!
i also watched that documentary and got on the juice wagon.... the first few days are going to be horrible. migranes flue like symptoms indigestion gas diahrreah irritability sleepy and no energy. then about 5 days into it you will experiance a rush of energy. your body will start to work better and your mind will be more clear than you have ever felt in your life!!!!
dont buy a cheap juicer... they are wastefull and do not get all the juce from your produce... a hundered extra dollars now will save you lots because you will get more juce from less produceon. definatly dont by the jack lelane or whatever it is its wasteful and a real biotch to clean. while you are doing this the first few days you will be grouchy and theres nothing that pissed me off more than cleaning that damn thing 2-4x a day...
try the mean green recipe.. its funky but soooo good for you. also dont be scared to experiment. i had fun trying lots of different things. i tried to have fruit juices for breakfast rather then later in the day and my fave was carrot apple an a sliver of ginger. ginger is wonderful but easily over done so start little.
you will see the pounds disapear. i lost 9lbs in 7 days. then with pressure from everyone around me i gave in a started eating again.. i haqve kept it off and lost a little more, but weightloss boils down to one thing and one thing alone A LIFELONG CHANGE. when you start eating again be careful. i have read that if you rush into the wrong foods you can actually do kidney and or liver damage from shocking your system...
please keep me updated as i think it is wonderfull and still have fresh fruit and or veggie juce everyday.
oh yea watermelon and cucumber and cantelope mixed together is HORRIBLE STUFF beware!!!
i am considering doing a ten day fast again soon. i will let you know
brillmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #6  
yehaw!!

hatgirlie that sound really unhealthy.. why dont you juice instead of drinking all those chemicals anf fake crap. it sounds like a ton of protien and a body doenst need that much??
Old 09-10-2011, 02:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 245/185/160

Height: 5' 7'

interesting forum thread... many mixed opinions.

My personal experience with juice fasting was very positive. I did 5 days of raw foods, 3 days of juice fast and then five days of raw foods. I lost 6 pounds and have continued losing but the weight loss was not the primary goal. For me it was a cleanse, a way to kind of restart and recharge myself. I learned to be more mindful when eating and found much more control when eating after my fast. I did a TON of research beforehand though and I suggest this to anyone thinking of fasting. I also dont know if it would be a good idea to try for 60 days with no prior experience, my advise is to ease into it.
Jesscobedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:48 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 245/185/160

Height: 5' 7'

kelly315: I wouldnt consider 163 and 5' 2' a "featherweight"
Jesscobedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #9  
I’m not fat….I’m fluffy

S/C/G: 288/274/188

Height: 5'8

Dont you find Phil so encouraging! I cried during that film. Although Im not juicing, he gave me the courage to start a weight loss plan.
cuppycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #10  
yehaw!!

kelly you should watch the video or do reserch. you will be healthier and more disease ressistant. your body will get more nutrient and vitamins than ever before. everything we overweight people tend to eat is empty calories. and i think the carbs from a cucumber or mango shouldnt be so easily grouped together because i think the body handles them differently and there is no reason i would hold up spinich and a slice of white bread and pick the white bread because its lower carb!!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #11  

Thanks everyone for the advice and supporting me. I had my first juice today at 8:30 am. I put 5 stalks of kale, one opo (taste is pretty neutral of this vegetable), one peeled cucumber, 1/2 lime with skin, 1 piece of ginger, 2 celery stalks and 1/2 red apple for sweetness. All of this came to around 25 oz. of juice. I drank around 15 and saved the rest in the fridge. I am planning to have that one around 10:30. I also drank 2 glasses of 8 oz. water, one before the juice, and another one after. I still have the aftertaste in my mouth. But I guess that's okay, I was actually prepared for much worse.
Now, back to some concerns that some of you have, First of all I am really not a 'Featherweight'. Currently I weigh 171 lbs.( I will update my weight tracker as soon as I figure it out). I have a 43" waist (widest part- 35" just under the breast) and only 40" hips. So, pretty big apple shape. On the other hand, I am an Indian vegetarian, or you might say 'Grainatarian'. We have indian flatbread or rice with every meal. That's the way we ate all our life. We don't even eat eggs. My husband won't allow it. So, the diet is pretty much screwed up anyway.
Thanks Suzanne for the recommendation. I am keeping the option of vegetables as a back up plan. If for any reason, I'll lose this motivation I will eat only veggies and fruits, cooked, chooped, juiced...whatever form I can have, but I am not gonna let myself eat a single piece of grain. I think the most difficult would be the cooking for my family part, when I can not eat those meals. So I am doing that with tying a piece of fabric around my mouth and I'll have juice before and after the cooking. I know I can do this.
Thanks Brillmama for giving me hope and support that I needed. I've bought a Breville juice fountain and I really like it. Cleaning that was easy too. I'll post my juice juice recipe too. I have a oriental market just across the street, so I can have plenty of different kinds of veggies all week long. I'll probably the leafy greens, celery organic and other ones I'll keep peeling to keep the pesticides down. I don't think I can afford everything organic. I an more concerned about washing. That takes majority of the time. I keep leafy greens soaked in water in a big pot, then I add little bit of salt and a pinch of turmeric. That way if there are any small bugs or anything, they come out in the water. Then, I wash the whole thing multiple times. May be I'll do that in bulk. I don't know yet...but I am sure I'll figure things out as I move forward.
Thanks again for supporting me you guys. It's a wonderful community of lots of really loving and supporting people and I feel very blessed to be a part of it. Thanks everyone, have a wonderful weekend.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #12  

Day 1 is going great..had 4 juices until 2pm...around total 50 oz. All of them were green..I made them in two batches..squeezed the lime afterwards in the second batch and it made so much difference..but still yucky....I think lemon/lime is essential to cut through that grassy taste of Kale.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #13  
yehaw!!

try adding green apples to it. seams to add that tart sweet and makes it better.50 oz wow!!
were did you decide on your amounts? when i did it i drank like usually 40 oz or close to that a day...
how are you feeling? dont overdo anything.. watch your exercize and take it easy. your muscles may get crampy.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:54 AM   #14  

Thanks for the tip! I am planning to have as much as I can handle in the beginning roughly around 75-80 oz a day and around same amount of water. Probably I'll taper off to a lower amount when my body will get used to this. For some reason, I was feeling so much thirsty rather than being hungry. I sure was having cravings for something to chew upon, but I didn't feel any hunger pangs. I did not do any exercise , cause my daughter was running a very high fever today so I stayed home all day..didn't do much. good thing was I didn't have any headaches but I was missing my 'chai latte' for sure.
I am planning to do it one day at a time. I never fulfilled any promise that I had made to myself. May be through this fast I am redeeming myself. My body helped me a lot through everything, now its my turn and I am gonna listen to my body. If I feel at any point of time that I can not continue this, I'll include more foods like soup, cooked veggies or smoothies. But I'll continue that for 7 days before including any grains. One more thing that I am gonna do starting from tomorrow would be little bit of cod liver oil that I am gonna take everyday. I bought one today. Now, I am looking forward to tomorrow. See you all.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:56 AM   #15  

I am so scared of scale right now, probably I'll weigh myself on next saturday.