General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/229/155

Height: 5'9

Default Longevity Lifestyles

I hope to hear from any and everyone about what they do to live longer.
Things I'm trying are walking, fasting, eating fish, and moderate exercise.

I hear so many things , but I never tire of hear more.
So if you have anything you believe in let's hear about it.

-----
Today went by a grocery that had avocados on sale for 49cents.
I bought 8 . I made a tuna avocado salad with eggs and an onion too.

Looking at the ingredients I thought how healthy is that.
Because onion is an anti cancer food. This inspires me to look at other alternatives. I'm thinking I can make a salad dressing out of the known cancer fighting foods.

Well not all of them together.

Garlic, onion, tomato, with avocado, radish and mustard.
While this alone won't make me live longer. I'm seeking to replace my empty nutrition condiments with foods that may lend to increased longevity. I'm also trying to mix a ripe avocado with garlic to make a garlic butter that's mixed up to be anti cancer food.

Next I look into a hummus type dip that I'll crave but is almost a super food.

OK now it's your turn if you dare.

Last edited by Pang; 12-31-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Pang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I do intermittent fasting (one meal a day) as a lifestyle. There have been some studies that have shown it might improve longevity, at least in rats. That's not why I'm doing it; I do it because it's the only approach I've found that I can feel satisfied as an ongoing lifestyle for weight management. The potential health benefits are pure gravy, so to speak.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/160/150

Height: 5'2"

I quit smoking in 1994. That is probably the biggest thing I have done to influence my wellness.

Last edited by Nightowlrn; 12-31-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Nightowlrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:42 AM   #4  

Hi also quit smoking in the 90s.

I took an asbestos abatement course . It was then that the Clinton administration determined second hand smoke as a class 2 carcinogen. And looking at how similar the asbestos is to second hand smoke I determined I need to quit that day, and I didn't go anywhere near the asbestos. I did however start putting in as much anti oxidants into my food as possible. When I found out that the asbestos is pointed on one end like a needle, and hollow on the other end which traps oxygen molecule. If I remember right it's the oxygen molecule that causes the irritation and damage to cells against the oxygen molecule.

So I eat anti oxidants as often as possible. Redbean, and blueberries,ect...
Then next thing I did may seem abit silly. I started drinking through a straw as much as I could. Seems most of oxygen we swallow when eating and drinking stays in there and very little is belched out. It's not been determined harmful. Yet. Some say whipping air into butter and margarine spreads is indeed harmful. I guess by the time they prove it my life may have passed. So since there is very little oxygen intake when drinking through a straw it's so simple and easy im not hurting anyone or myself. Maybe the occasional eye roll.
But then, forgive me for going on, I realised when I'm dieting it was best to give up my sugary coffee. More like choffee ,mocha. Chocolate coffee.
If I smash the straw in my teeth crimping one end of the straw. The flow is slowed. So instead of 2-3 cups I get only 1. Coffee is also an antioxidant so for me it's a keeper and so is dark chocolate. However I don't get it whipped up with air.

Being a reformed smoker I always ask smokers if they want to quit? Most respond "yes"they do!
My advice is quit every Monday for at least 7 attempts.
By the 7th attempt most likely they will have broken most of the habits. It's the combination of habit and addiction that's so difficult to stop. It doesn't matter what habit it is typically when make 7 serious attempts to break a habit we succeed.

Have a great year.

Last edited by Pang; 01-01-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:44 PM   #5  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Last January, I read Younger Next Year. While it's addressed to men, most of the ideas applied universally. I focussed on the requirement to exercise an hour a day 6 days a week. At 58, I learned to swim for the first time. I also bought a Water Rower.

I really thought I'd die in the pool (I was terrified of the deep end and my 20-something-private instructor had no idea why I had to keep checking my pulse) but kept at it all 2016. Now I can swim 50 laps in an hour, which is slow but steady. I also row, bike, and lift weights the other days.

The chapters in the book alternate between an everyday 70 year old guy and his doctor. The doctor talks up the science and the 70 year old gives an amusing report of how he's doing.

I'll be 60 in 2017 and hope I continue to improve. I've learned to love my pool time!

Last edited by spanky; 01-01-2017 at 06:44 PM.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:40 PM   #6  

I'm inspired spanky. I'm so often reluctant to venture far from my comfort zone. Swimming uses more muscles than any other exercise , so I'll be hard pressed to find one better that. Plus the rowing to. What may I ask do you eat in advance of your workouts?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #7  

I have given up junk food as a part of my part of my daily routine and introduced detoxing for overall longevity. I see most of you have quit smoking as a way of longevity lifestyle and I really must appreciate what you did, it takes a lot of perseverance to do that ....
FattoFitIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:38 AM   #8  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pang View Post
I'm inspired spanky. I'm so often reluctant to venture far from my comfort zone. Swimming uses more muscles than any other exercise , so I'll be hard pressed to find one better that. Plus the rowing to. What may I ask do you eat in advance of your workouts?
Today I swam my 50 during my son's swimming class at 6pm. I'd had lunch at 3pm, it was 3 eggs, 1/2 an english muffin, and half an apple.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #9  

Last edited by Pang; 01-04-2017 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Accidently double posted
Old 01-04-2017, 04:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 137.8 22~% / 21.0% / 15%

Height: 5'4 1/2

I can say I am pretty healthy. Co-workers and family get sick, and they don't give it to me!
Besides having good genes, I eat ALL fruits and veggies and grains, have 6 or more portions of healthy stuff every day. Yes, I do love sweets and I do have my share of them too.
I don't drink alcohol and don't smoke (I have a wine or a beer on rare occasions).
I exercise every day. And I sleep a lot, like 9 hours a day.
I keep a positive outlook on life.
I'm 42 and never colored my hair.
I take no medications.
Water is my friend.
I hope I can live a long life, so far so good!
I guess that's about it.

Last edited by stronggal; 01-10-2017 at 03:48 PM.
stronggal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:26 PM   #11  

Sleep.
Sleep is something else I'm paying close attention to. I recently read a statistic that the day of the year that has the most occurrence of heart attacks is daylight savings time. When clock is moved up.
So since this is a fact I'm giving my sleeping more effort at being good rest than I did when I was younger.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #12  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

This is a topic that really interests me.

I turned 40 last year and I am very interested in aging gracefully on the inside and the outside. I lost 80 lbs a few years ago and have kept it off since. My life is so different now.

- Exercise and movement is a big part of my life and I workout daily. I walk a lot, strength-train and I so light workouts like Pilates, tai-chi and barre.

- I no longer drink alcohol. I'm heading towards my second year completely sober.

- For the most part I only drink water and unsweetened tea.

- I intermittent fast. On a typical day I eat 2 - 3 meals in 6 - 8 hours and I stop eating until the next day.

- My diet is pretty healthy (lots of real foods like fruits and veggies). Also I haven't eaten meat (fish or seafood) in almost one year!

- Instead of watching TV I read before bed and I get solid rest every night.

- I read a lot of health/fitness/nutrition and books on aging and I follow people online who inspires me (Wendy Ida, Ernestine Shepherd, Annette Larkins etc.)

I believe everything I am doing (along with my genetics) is slowing down the aging process. I feel great and look great and I want to keep this going!

Keep up the great work everyone!
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote