General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/250/130

Height: 5"3'

Default Lipo? Lap Band?

I started out this year with the goal of losing weight. I lost about 25 pounds at the start of the year, however, since then I havent been losing anything.

I was looking at getting a small amount of Lipo or getting the lap band just to kick it back into gear? Thoughts?
Crazybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I guess my one question about a lap band is...a lap band is designed to reduce the amount of food you can eat in one sitting. Wouldn't it make more sense to reduce what you eat in one sitting, without the surgery and all the risks, healing time, etc. that go into it? If you are determined enough to lose weight that you'd be willing to take a risk like surgery, could you not also simply apply that determination to a sensible diet and exercise program? Likewise with lipo. Surgeries come with some risks, and from what I have read if you aren't committed to the right diet and exercise program after surgery the results won't last anyway. So it seems to me that if you adopt the right diet and exercise strategy now, you wouldn't need surgery in the long run.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #3  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I wouldn't do lipo unless you were already at your goal weight (or very near it) and you just had one stubborn spot that you wanted to get rid of. I say that because without learning proper eating habits first the weight can come back FAST. My mom had lipo on her stomach, didn't change her eating habits and gained it all back.

Do you have health reasons that need immediate attention and that require fast weight loss ASAP? IF so then the lap band might be an option but it's major surgery with a lot of side-effects. I've had abdominal surgery (for something a lot more minor than the lap band) and it took some serious recovery for me.

There have been a lot of successful losers here (my own starting weight is just 10lbs lower than your current weight, for instance) and some really, really great advice. If you want us to help you tweak your diet feel free to post a day of your food (try the Weight Loss Support forum to get the most responses) and you'll end up with a lot of great advice.

Last edited by runningfromfat; 09-01-2011 at 08:19 PM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Lipo and the lap band are two very different procedures.

The lap band is not a "kickstart". It is a major surgery that requires a lifelong commitment. It's not a weeklong juice fast... immediately upon having this surgery you must change how you eat forever or suffer some severe consequences. There are numerous potential complications. This is not to say that a person should not have surgery when it's required, but rather that it is not a lighthearted decision. And certainly shouldn't be thought of as a "kickstart".

If you're honestly curious about WLS, you'll want to check out the Weight Loss Surgery section.

Liposuction was not intended to be used as a "weight loss" surgery. It is a cosmetic surgery that removes fat from certain "trouble spot" areas. It is also generally used for people down near their goal weight.

---

Now that we have that out of the way.

Congratulations on dropping 25 pounds!

I'm thinking I haven't heard enough about what you're doing to take off more weight.

What changes did you make to drop 25 pounds? Are you still following through with those plans honestly? Have you tried changing anything else? Are you tracking your food? Your calories? Have you tried adding exercise or activity?
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Have you tried finding out why you're not losing on your diet? What is your plan for food and exercise?
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #6  

I excersize every day and I completely changed the way I eat this year. My aunt had the same problem and she went and had a small amount of lipo and she continued on her excersize routine and eating plan afterwards and she never gained it back and went on to lose another 50 pounds.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Where to begin...

Lipo, as mentioned, is not a "weight loss" surgery; it's cosmetic (or used in conjuntion with other procedures for reconstruction purposes). Your aunt has had success, but if she went on to lose another 50 pounds, then she would have lost those 50 WITHOUT the lipo as well since lipo does not do anything to help weight loss.

The Lap Band is NOT a "kick start." It is intended to be a PERMANENT foreign object placed in your body that you will have to manage and respect for the rest of your life.

Start researching. Based on what you say here, I would say you're not ready for any type of surgery for weight loss. Educate yourself on the different procedures, how they work differently, the lifelong commitment required to support/manage each, the changes YOU would still need to make to be successful, and the risks involved with each.

And I sure hope this thread started elsewhere and got "moved" to this WLS section, because anyone responding here along the lines of "just diet and exercise instead of getting surgery" is inconsiderate, disrespectful, and uneducated. I'll just leave it at that.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post

And I sure hope this thread started elsewhere and got "moved" to this WLS section, because anyone responding here along the lines of "just diet and exercise instead of getting surgery" is inconsiderate, disrespectful, and uneducated. I'll just leave it at that.
I actually think it did get moved from the Body Issues area. I remember checking where it was when I first responded, and it wasn't the WLS area.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have had several friends that did LIPO once they arrived very close to goal weight. At first it seemed to do really well but I it seems that most of them have added back what they paid to have taken away!

WLS? I had one close friend that did lapband and wow, it was no picnic for her. She experienced things like ongoing hairloss, vomiting after eating things were supposedly on plan and her skin also lost it's beauty, her nails also got really thin--even to this day. Like any major decision, I would REALLY do plenty of research, speak to possible doctors involved and perhaps find a support group to visit with that have already gone through the procedure. The decision to do weightloss surgery is very, very sacrificial. It is a HUGE undertaking and will require an unbridled commitment. That being said, plenty of ladies here have been successful with it.

You are in a good place for advice and info. too.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 09-02-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #10  
Old Cackler

Crazybear - I moved your thread to this part of the forum because I think it'll be more useful for you.

The Weight Loss Surgery Forum is intended to be a safe place for those of us who've had surgery to share the specialized support that we need without being caught up in the debate about whether surgery was the right or wrong choice for us or should/shouldn't be permitted. We're also there to help people who are seriously considering the surgery.

Having said that, based on your stats, you would probably be considered a candidate for any of the different forms of surgery, but much depends on your diet history, your general health, and most important, whether you've hit that dieting 'wall' that many of us have hit. And these are Qs to discuss with your doctor, after much soul-searching. Surgery is a last resort, and it's no picnic. It's saved many, many lives, but other people have not made it through the surgery.

I hope you find your path - and are able to celebrate your 25 pound loss. There are some experts out there - like at the NIH - who believe that people who have a lot of weight to lose can benefit by losing 10% of their weight and then maintaining that loss for 6 months, and then lose another 10% and maintaining that, and so on. Some think it leads to more durable weight loss.

good luck to you!

Last edited by jiffypop; 09-02-2011 at 09:27 AM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #11  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I believe I'm one person you are directing that to and while I regret any offense you might have taken I am not going to apologize for what I said to the OP. The OP asked our opinion of using surgery as a kick start, not because she required surgery for medical reasons, and it was on that basis that I responded. It also wasn't in this section at that time. I certainly wasn't passing judgment on weight loss surgery when required for medical reasons.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 09-02-2011 at 01:07 PM.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #12  

Quote:
Where to begin...

Lipo, as mentioned, is not a "weight loss" surgery; it's cosmetic (or used in conjuntion with other procedures for reconstruction purposes). Your aunt has had success, but if she went on to lose another 50 pounds, then she would have lost those 50 WITHOUT the lipo as well since lipo does not do anything to help weight loss.

The Lap Band is NOT a "kick start." It is intended to be a PERMANENT foreign object placed in your body that you will have to manage and respect for the rest of your life.

Start researching. Based on what you say here, I would say you're not ready for any type of surgery for weight loss. Educate yourself on the different procedures, how they work differently, the lifelong commitment required to support/manage each, the changes YOU would still need to make to be successful, and the risks involved with each.

I know its not a 'weight loss surgery' exactly, I wasnt really sure where else to put it.

I agree that I am completely not ready for any kind of surgery, it was an idea that someone had mentioned to me so I was curious what other people thought. I would much rather get it off natraully and not have to have any type of surgery done.

As for the lapband, my doctor was the one who suggested it a while ago. I really dont want to do it and I told him that but he keeps telling me that if I cant get it off within a year of me trying that I need it.

Last edited by Crazybear; 09-02-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #13  
Amy

S/C/G: 443/306/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Where to begin...

Great response as always, Jilly. I concur with each statement, and you make them a lot more tactfully than I am sometimes able to, especially that last bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
WLS? I had one close friend that did lapband and wow, it was no picnic for her. She experienced things like ongoing hairloss, vomiting after eating things were supposedly on plan and her skin also lost it's beauty, her nails also got really thin--even to this day. Like any major decision, I would REALLY do plenty of research, speak to possible doctors involved and perhaps find a support group to visit with that have already gone through the procedure. The decision to do weightloss surgery is very, very sacrificial. It is a HUGE undertaking and will require an unbridled commitment. That being said, plenty of ladies here have been successful with it.
If you havent had surgery, I applaud you on how educated you are on the subject. Your sensitivity is also something not typically seen.

I really have nothing to add, other than I wanted to say I completely agree that niether one of these is to be used to "jump start" weight loss. If you really are having a hard time losing and want to consider lap band, I would recommend doing a lot more research to determine if it is right for you.
VioletSwerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #14  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I believe I'm one person you are directing that to and while I regret any offense you might have taken I am not going to apologize for what I said to the OP. The OP asked our opinion of using surgery as a kick start, not because she required surgery for medical reasons, and it was on that basis that I responded. It also wasn't in this section at that time. I certainly wasn't passing judgment on weight loss surgery when required for medical reasons.
You're not the only one who's ever made such comments, believe me! But do know that "morbid obesity" (defined in the US as a BMI of 40 or greater) IS a "medical reason." Even if you're otherwise healthy, WLS is still an option, and, for some folks, it's the right choice.

It makes sense that the thread wasn't started in the WLS section - that would be why I didn't recognize any of the initial respondents as "regulars" 'round those parts (and I see it got moved again)
Old 09-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #15  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybear View Post
I know its not a 'weight loss surgery' exactly, I wasnt really sure where else to put it.

I agree that I am completely not ready for any kind of surgery, it was an idea that someone had mentioned to me so I was curious what other people thought. I would much rather get it off natraully and not have to have any type of surgery done.

As for the lapband, my doctor was the one who suggested it a while ago. I really dont want to do it and I told him that but he keeps telling me that if I cant get it off within a year of me trying that I need it.
I'm glad to read this response - the initial post sounded a bit like you were looking for a wuick fix type of solution, but it sounds like you've got a better grasp on what surgery would entail.

Don't let a doctor push you into something you don't want. You don't "need" it if it's not something you want. If you don't want it yourself, you'll likely just resent it and not be as successful as someone who supports the decision 110%. My doc had suggested the band to me, too. I almost laughed in her face. I did end up getting WLS, but the band was never even an option for me. If your doc keeps pressuring you, don't be afraid to switch to a new one! Doctors should be supportive, not pushy. They should also be educated enough to know that, statistically soeaking, the band is the least often successful WLS procedure with the highest rate of complications (still the right choice for some people, but I certainly wouldn't be pushing it on anyone - whether to have WLS AND the specific type of procedure are very individual decisions).