General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #1  
RKS

S/C/G: 260/260/150

Height: 5'5

Default apple cider vinegar for weight loss

Has anyone here tried loosing weight with apple cider vinegar? I heard it helps in weight loss.
RKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 8"

My husband decided to try an apple cider vinegar shot....ONCE. The kids got a kick out of watching his face.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Apple cider fasts and diets have been around at least since the 50's.

One of the side effects that is often reported is foul, dirty gym-sock like body odor. I tried it in high school or college, but it was so unpleasant, I didn't stick with it long enough to experience the body odor.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #4  
Happy Member

It's been around much longer than since the 50's. I remember people talking about it in my childhood, which would be in the 30's. You've got to use the vinegar with the "mother" in it, that much I know. Braggs makes a vinegar that supposedly works for weight loss, but it sure is nothing I want to try.

Some "old timers" claim it works. Maybe it did, I dunno.

I'd rather use the old idea of 'eat less, move more' which has worked for me and countless other individuals.

There's lots of good diets out there that have proved to be healthy. I find that apple cider vinegar has many uses, but I'm not convinced that weight loss is one of them.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 145/137/120

Height: 5'4

Raw apple cider vinegar is the only acceptable vinegar to consume on a regular basis.

However, this is true. Raw apple cider vinegar can help weight loss. It doesn't make you "drop the pounds" or "burn fat", but it helps promote optimal digestion and helps the growth of healthy bacteria in the body.

If you drink some mixed with water 20 minutes before you eat, it helps cellular cleansing, which means it will help cleanse the digestive track and promote bowel movements (lol)

But I'm serious about it being raw or "unfiltered" Pasteurized apple cider vinegar does not have any of these healing properties!!
Unthinkables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:01 AM   #6  

Cellular cleansing?

Exactly what do you think is dirty, cellularly, and how does vinegar clean it? Is it like using vinegar and newspapers on the windows?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:10 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Cellular cleansing?

Exactly what do you think is dirty, cellularly, and how does vinegar clean it? Is it like using vinegar and newspapers on the windows?

Well, first, let's look at what vinegar is. If you get the definition it's going to say something along the lines of acidic liquid produced from the fermentation of ethanol. And often it will include the pH balance of this diluted fermented acidic liquid. But what does this mean for the body?

If we remember from high school chemistry class, pH stands for "power of hydrogen" and is used to determine the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution. The balance between acidic and alkalinity is the pH balance. The higher the pH number, the more alkaline it is.

Ideally, the human body is slightly more alkaline and must stay there for us to stay healthy. The foods we eat directly effect every part of our body.

So, one of the first reasons apple cider vinegar will aid one in weight loss is it's ability to help our pH balance. Just because it essentially acidic how this can be- chemical reactions take place when we digest food. And it is not the taste of a food that makes it acidic or alkaline, it's the residue it leaves behind.

Secondly, apple cider vinegar is fermented! That means it is LOADED with enzymes. What are enzymes? Again if we get a definition, it will say something along the lines of

"a substance produced by a living organism that acts as a catalyst to bring about a specific biochemical reaction. Most enzymes are proteins; some enzymes control reactions within cells and some, such as the enzymes involved in digestion, outside them. "

I should've prefaced "cellular cleansing" with some specific information. Along our intestines there are villi, which are a lines the walls of our intestines that help absorb nutrients.

With these enzymes causing a positive chemical change in our bodies also allows us to achieve optimal absorption. Villus will collect these amino acids and sugars. Enzymes are proteins. And the villi help carry these absorbed proteins into the blood stream.

So, it provides us with essential nutrients while literally cleansing the intestines.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

The thing is, from chemistry class, enzymes are very specific. You can't just say something with any enzymes will help anything that uses enzymes.

Also, from biology class, you may remember that homeostasis is very important to the body and our pH does not change, not even slightly. Eating a certain food will not change it.

What is proven scientifically? Vinegar, in general, slows the emptying of the stomach which may help you feel full and will also reduce the impact to blood sugar which means less insulin released into the blood at a single time.

Negatives of vinegar. It can erode your tooth enamel and burn your esophagus if taken too frequently.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #9  

Well actually, you're wrong. pH balance can be effected to a degree. (Meats and grains lower pH as they're more acidic while fruits and vegetables raise it as if it's more alkaline).
Old 08-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I've never seen anything that has said cells in our bodies change pH. Our kidneys (and lungs) help regulate our pH which is why our urine can have slight differences in pH but that doesn't mean the body has a change in pH. In the case of diseases or extreme conditions, it is possible to be slightly too basic or too acidic but that has nothing to do with food. Too much change results in death, which is why it is closely regulated by the body.

Here is a quick overview of alkaline of foods courtesy of quackwatch
http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...SH/coral2.html

The following are detailed info on how the body regulates pH
http://www.brynmawr.edu/chemistry/Ch...c/buffers.html
http://www.chemistry.wustl.edu/~edud...er/Buffer.html (this one talks about exercise which would modify pH if the body didn't regulate it)
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #11  

Height: 5'4"

As nelie said, the foods we eat do not systemically alter our pH - if they did, we'd be dead. Cells are incredibly sensitive to pH and even a few tenths of a point of difference in pH can result in catastrophe.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

My mother died of Septic Shock, her blood became acidic and it killer her in less than 24 hrs.

Some thinks can change your body's pH ever so slightly ie Birth Contron Pills
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

sorry about my typing errors, I have a huge band aid on one of my fingers. lol
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #14  
I think I can...

I've tried it before. A teaspoon in a 20 ounce bottle of water sipped throughout the day. I did feel a little better, and managed to lose some weight above the pound or 2 that I had been losing already.
Too much can be harmful though esp to tooth enamel as someone else mentioned.
They also have ACV pills that you can take although I'm not too sure how effective they may be.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

The ph diet "logic" doesn't make any sense.

Most of the self-proclaimed experts who claim that illness and obesity can be cured by changing the body's ph (assuming it were possible). They argue that our diet is too acidic.

If that were the case, then drinking an acetic acid solution (vinegar) would make absolutely no sense, whatsoever. If our problem is too much acid, then how can more acid be a benefit?
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote