General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

Default Lost an inch and a half.... of height??

Is it possible that in 3 yrs, I have lost an inch and a half of height? I am 31 years old. I went to the doc yesterday and was measured for the first time in 3 yrs. My last recorded height was 5'6. Yesterday, I was measured at 5'4.5. How can this be? Is that normal?
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:30 AM   #2  

Did you ask your doctor? I'm curious as well. I know we "shrink" as we age (in height, not in weight---unfortunately ). However, 31 seems way too young for this to happen. I'm wondering if somehow you were measured incorrectly either the last time or this time. Maybe you should have someone measure you at home just to check.

I know that when I was in high school, I was measured as 5 ft 4. Then, years later my husband measured me as 5 ft. 3.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 278.8/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

How were you measured the first time? Did you have shoes on?
megmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hmm, my doc actually told me I got taller, about 1/4 inch and now I'm almost an inch taller than I was in college. I'd definitely ask your doctor. Do you do any weight bearing exercise? How is your posture?

(in high school I was 5'4, in college I grew to 5'6 and I just turned 36 and I'm nearly 5'7)
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Hmm, my doc actually told me I got taller, about 1/4 inch and now I'm almost an inch taller than I was in college. I'd definitely ask your doctor. Do you do any weight bearing exercise? How is your posture?

(in high school I was 5'4, in college I grew to 5'6 and I just turned 36 and I'm nearly 5'7)
I actually think it could be that I have some shortening in my neck muscles, per my physical therapist. So that could be the reason. I do have some pretty bad deterioration in my neck discs, so I guess that would make sense. I didn't ask the doc because I had so many other things on my list that I wanted to deal with and it escaped me until I started walking to the car. It was the nurse who measured me.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #6  

There are several factors that could effect this. Were you wearing shoes? Did you stand nice in tall with head in neutral-not tilting up/down? I would think they weren't accurate at the doctor. You can lose a little with spinal deterioration but in the neck the space b/t disks is not great enough to explain the height differential.
luckygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl3 View Post
There are several factors that could effect this. Were you wearing shoes? Did you stand nice in tall with head in neutral-not tilting up/down? I would think they weren't accurate at the doctor. You can lose a little with spinal deterioration but in the neck the space b/t disks is not great enough to explain the height differential.
Got it. That makes sense. Yikes. I'll check again when I go back for a follow-up.