Blood Type Diet

• I have been following and doing a blood type diet, and have seen AMAZING results thus far. I exercise for about 2 hours every day and feel GREAT! I'm O positive, which has COMPLETELY opened my eyes, and changed my lifestyle more than what I thought possible.

I've completely cut out gluten from my diet, eat dairy sparingly and consume HIGH protein (NO pork/beef).

I was just curious to see if anyone else has tried/or doing this too.

Thanks yall
  • Hey there
    My dad introduced me to the blood type diet at the ripe age of eleven. I'm also o-positive, and our suggested diet is, essentially, the hunter-gatherer or paleo-diet. I was reading up the other day, and my analytical brain can't help but notice and point out that each of the individual blood type diets are, in their own right, different tried and true diets that are bound to help anyone lose weight (o positive, for example, suggests lean meats, whole grains, little to no dairy and such, lots of cardio, because we're "predator" mentality. AB diet is basically a vegetarian diet, and focuses on soothing and stretching exercises such as yoga.) I'm not sure how closely tied these things are with a person's actual blood, or whether they're just good effective diets that it would be hard NOT to lose weight on, you know? However, even if my cynical opinion is right, it's my opinion that the hunter-gatherer (o-positive) diet is possibly one of the best anyone could be on, and so I think you'll have really great results if you follow it. I'm also planning to stick loosely to the guidelines. We'll see how it goes!
  • I just did what I usually do when I hear about a glossy new treatment: google the name alone, google the name together with "scam", and look it up on Wikipedia. The Blood Type Diet does not stand up well in this regard. Which doesn't mean that some of the suggested diets won't suit some people, but I see no point in following methodology with no basis in science.
  • When the blood type diet book first came out, a friend of mine was all into it. She loaned me the book, convinced it would change my life. I read it, and then not sure why I felt let down about it, I had my husband read it. He is a biochemist, and has earned awards for achievement in science and math. He was not impressed at all. He pointed out that the 'research' to support the idea was all circumstantial, and based on the authors, most likely, biased opinions and observations. There was no true scientific studies that supported it. The basis of the diets are sound, and healthy, and if you followed any one of them carefully you would probably have good results, but it most likely does not depend on your blood type. My husband pondered the processes and could not see how your blood type would affect you digestion, absorption, and use of nutrients. I was relieved. As an AB I was told to eat mostly turkey. I hate turkey.
  • Elle, I am so glad the diet is working for you How long have you been following it and what are your results?

@ Ellen .... I was wondering about the science behind this diet, now that I know there isn't any I certainly won't be trying it. I do however have a friend who swears by the diet.... she doesn't like turkey either lol.

• My 83 year old mother is an O. When she eats beef which is listed as highly beneficial for her, she is noticeably more energetic. One of the issues she is currently facing, is macular degeneration(MG). I have been after her to eat dark green leafy vegetables and broccoli, because both of those contain nutrients that help stop MG. When I checked the O lists after reading this thread, I discovered that both of those are considered highly beneficial for her blood type.

I'm a B, and if I avoid my weight gain avoids, I stand a chance of losing weight. I am food intolerant of 2 of my avoids, which I had discovered before ever reading the book.

So in my opinion, there is something to it. I heard that there is newer info out there that I haven't seen. Is it totally on? I don't know.