General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I also agree with the article. I think 3 meals a day most of the time probably is enough. Today I ate low carb the way I used to eat it when I was in Overeaters Anonymous. I had just 3 meals and so far I've been very satisfied.

Becky When I was in Weight Watchers, I had the problem of trying to eat all the food they said you had to eat. I would find myself eating things I wasn't hungry for just to get my points eaten. The problem was that the more I ate the more I wanted. I think it is because you end up thinking in terms of good foods/bad foods.

I really didn't plan to eat the way I did today, but it was more like South Beach but with more fat than SBD recommends. Strange thing is that I was totally satisfied with what I ate today, but I had absolutely no need of any snacks.

Our SIL will be here Wednesday for 2 nights. His interview for the new job is Thursday. Hope we will know Thursday if he got the job. If he gets it, he is supposed to start a couple of weeks after that get moved in here. If we find out that he gets the job before he leaves, DH and I plan to surprise him by taking him out to a nice restaurant to celebrate.

Y'all have a great 4th of July weekend. I'll be busy cleaning. It will really be nice when they get moved here so we can be together for the holidays.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #17  

I've been doing walk away the pounds routine on youtube lately and I really enjoy it. I have to stay out of the sun so it's perfect for me. I do garden just before the sun goes down. Can't wait for those ripe tomatoes!!!!
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
Hi, ladies...

As the economy continues to go downhill, I think a lot more families are going to end up moving under one roof. We're just on the cutting edge of the trend, right? I wish you all well with it. I know the huge amounts of work it requires before family members can move in.
When I was a kid, in the 50's, it was not unusual for extended families to live under one roof. Many of my friends had grandparents living in their home, or their immediate family lived in the grandparent's home from the time the parents had married. Back then, the elderly didn't have the income that retired people have today with pensions, social security, 401Ks etc. Also, it was often medically necessary for the older persons to have family around. Most mother's didn't work, but took care of the kids and the older family members. The grandparents were able to help with some cooking, cleaning, and child care. It gave the kids a closer relationship with grandparents and a better respect and tolerance for the elderly. Now it is just so much easier to have the grandparents go into assisted living and visit them once a month or so.
Carol
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Becky When I was in Weight Watchers, I had the problem of trying to eat all the food they said you had to eat. I would find myself eating things I wasn't hungry for just to get my points eaten. The problem was that the more I ate the more I wanted. I think it is because you end up thinking in terms of good foods/bad foods.
I was the opposite on WW. I usually had used all my points before dinner. I don't really know why that was. Maybe because I knew I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I counted the points. I was choosing foods with higher points values, and before I knew it, I had used them all up. Now I am eating most foods, but using portion control. I use Fitday, so when I do go over my desired calorie count I can easily see which foods I could avoid to get back to my calorie goal.

Carol
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #20  

Carol. Looking forward to hearing from you. I'm 62.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #21  

Hope I do this right as I don't want to break any rules. I got this article today from Living With Diabetes Everyday Health. I thought I would share it because it goes along with what Carolr shares with us about Mindful eating only this is about controlling Diabetes with Mindful Eating.

Controlling Type 2 Diabetes With Mindful Eating

Changing how you think about food can help you manage blood sugar levels, weight, and overall health.
By Diane Stresing
Medically reviewed by Pat F. Bass III, MD, MPH

Eating right is the key to managing type 2 diabetes. Good food choices are critical for people with diabetes who want to reduce their risks for heart disease, stroke, and other health problems caused by diabetes.

“When someone is diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, they often have a sense that eating and food are things to be conquered,” says Michelle May, MD, a board-certified family physician who practices in Phoenix. That feeling can seem overwhelming. In fact, says Dr. May, some people may eat before they are hungry, motivated by the fear of having hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar. For better control of diabetes, May counsels her patients to employ mindful eating techniques, an approach to food that can help them manage their diets and their lives.

Mindful eating focuses on tuning in to one’s body to recognize basic hunger signals and notice early hypoglycemic symptoms, like feeling dizzy or shaky, and then eating with increased awareness — paying attention to every bite of food. “You have to be prepared to eat when you need to, to respond to your body’s signs,” says May.

Mindful Eating Ends Diabetes Diet Frustrations

May describes mindful eating as “eating with intention and attention.” Instead of thinking about “being good” or adhering to a diabetes diet, May says diabetes patients should be thinking about why, when, what, and how they eat.

A diabetes patient using mindful eating techniques may express intention as “I want to feel well,” “I want to be healthy,” or even “I want to enjoy the food at this party.” Mindful eaters pay attention to the eating experience by “being in the present moment and noticing how good the food tastes,” says May, “and [being aware that] as you eat, the enjoyment decreases as you get used to the flavors and become sated.” That’s your cue to stop eating.

Paying more attention to when, why, how, and what you eat sounds easy. But “many things can influence your choices and your awareness,” May warns. Among the most common distractions to avoid are eating while driving, eating while watching television, and focusing on cleaning your plate rather than on the food itself. Such habits, May says, not only distract people from what they’re eating, but also from the simple pleasure of eating.

Using mindful eating makes the food you eat much more satisfying. People who are keenly aware of what and how they are eating are “more likely to enjoy flavors and textures and the ambience of the eating experience,” May says, and they may also enjoy their lives more fully. “If you eat too much, you feel lethargic and regretful; if you eat the right amount, you feel energetic, content, and ready for your next activity,” she explains.

Mindful Eating in Practice

Mindful eating can help you successfully manage diabetes and get your weight under control, two problems that often go hand in hand. When you’re overweight, says mindful eating practitioner JoAnn Martin, 68, of Phoenix, all you think about is food — “what can I eat and when can I eat it?” With mindful eating, Martin learned how to get her food cues from her stomach rather than her head.

Martin is the mother of seven and had gained more weight after every pregnancy, peaking at 300 pounds. She has had diabetes for decades and started needing insulin injections in the early 1970s, eventually developing insulin resistance. “My sugar was so out of control,” says Martin, who realized that she had to lose weight to avoid risking her life.

After trying many other diets, Martin enrolled in May’s “Am I Hungry?” class, having heard about it through her health insurer. Though it took time for all the information she learned to register, eventually it clicked. By practicing mindful eating, Martin says, she was able to control what and how much she eats: “All of a sudden you get this little voice in your head that says ‘You can stop’ or ‘You’ve had enough.’”

Being conscious of when to put down the fork has enabled Martin to lose 60 pounds and get better control of her diabetes as well. As May explains, mindful eating can make you feel less like a slave to a diabetes diet and help you enjoy food in a healthy manner.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
I've been doing walk away the pounds routine on youtube lately and I really enjoy it. I have to stay out of the sun so it's perfect for me. I do garden just before the sun goes down. Can't wait for those ripe tomatoes!!!!
I plan to set up a dvd player in my bedroom so I can do my walk away the pounds too. I want to get started exercising again and don't want to let the kids being here to give me an excuse for not doing it. Got to get a habit going. In fact, I used to do it 3 days a week, but I plan to start doing 5 days. Got to get this blood sugar under control and I think exercise is the key.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmn11 View Post
I was the opposite on WW. I usually had used all my points before dinner. I don't really know why that was. Maybe because I knew I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I counted the points. I was choosing foods with higher points values, and before I knew it, I had used them all up. Now I am eating most foods, but using portion control. I use Fitday, so when I do go over my desired calorie count I can easily see which foods I could avoid to get back to my calorie goal.

Carol
Hi Carol Glad to have you here and look forward to getting to know you. I had that problem too with WW. When I had days that I ate foods with higher pts values, I would run out of pts and then be hungry. I tried eating the extra weekly pts but still ended up going over. I always felt like a failure.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #24  

That was a really good article about diabetes, Trish.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:07 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

I didn't know you could find Walk Away The Pounds on You Tube. Thanks for mentioning that. I've been wanting to try it, but didn't want to invest in them until I knew if it was something I'd continue.

Happy Independence Day, everyone!
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #26  

Actually, the youtube one is my favorite.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #27  

We just hooked our new dvd player to our bedroom tv so I can do my exercises in there especially now the kids are moving here. I remembered you saying you exercise with the You Tube but couldn't remember what the exercise was. When I saw thousands of exercises on there, I gave up. Now I will know what to look for.

Y'all have a great 4th Everyone.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #28  

Hot, lazy 4th of July....my DH is cutting hay!!!. Hoping for no rain for a couple days.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #29  

I know what you mean, Trish. When all the kids are here it is nearly impossible to exercise. But maybe taking care of everybody is exercise in and of itself!!!

Last edited by carolr3639; 07-05-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #30  

Does anyone notice that after you eat you feel more energy?