General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #1  
Woooo Hooooo :)

S/C/G: 266.8/235/175

Height: 5'6

Question Junk Food???

So we started this wellness program at work and you earn points for different things. One of them is going 24 hours with out any junk food. I was wondering what you guys considered junk food.
PBmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #2  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

For me, anything that has calories, yet provides little of nutritive value beyond calories is "junk food." A cheese and fruit plate and a serving of Doritos might have the same calories, but the former is a heavy snack/light meal while the latter is "junky" because cheese and apples also have protein, fiber, and calcium. Doritos have...calories. Lots and lots of calories.

There are some foods that are in a gray area. Ice cream springs immediately to mind. It has nutritive value--the calcium and protein in it don't disappear when they add sugar to it--but it's so calorie-dense that full-fat ice cream is very rarely worth it. Rather than call it junk, I prefer to think of it as a strictly-in-moderation food or look for similar stuff with a higher nutrient-to-calorie ratio--low-calorie ice cream or flavored, sweetened Greek yogurt, for instance.

I want to get as much nutritional bang as I can get for my buck, so even my "junky" foods have to have something worthwhile about them. That doesn't mean I can excuse a meal of cheese, whole wheat crackers, and ice cream as "protein, fiber, and calcium." It just means that food has to pull its weight calorically and nutritionally. Rice cakes are as much "junk" as Cheez-its because both are nutritional wastelands even though one is a low-calorie wasteland.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #3  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

For me, it's all processed foods and fast foods.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #4  

Wow! Thanks ladies! SBD: I think I would go crazy if I had to cut out all processed foods! I can only imagine because it seems like just about everything is processed these days. Even our meats.

Nola: What an indepth reply! You really touched on what I was struggling with. It is those grey area foods that make me wonder. We were debating the ice cream theory last night lol

So far I've gone 2 full days without junk food. Since I am just starting my goal is for 1 week & if I can go the whole week I will allow myself 1 junk food item! Yay!
Old 05-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #5  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBmama View Post

Wow! Thanks ladies! SBD: I think I would go crazy if I had to cut out all processed foods! I can only imagine because it seems like just about everything is processed these days. Even our meats.

Nola: What an indepth reply! You really touched on what I was struggling with. It is those grey area foods that make me wonder. We were debating the ice cream theory last night lol

So far I've gone 2 full days without junk food. Since I am just starting my goal is for 1 week & if I can go the whole week I will allow myself 1 junk food item! Yay!
Over time I've trained myself to eat mostly raw (85%) and the rest is free-range / organic / wild meats, fish and poultry. As far as carbs...fruit, veggies, whole grains. I have one cheat meal a week when I don't have a specific goal to reach and I'll eat anything at that meal, but won't go crazy with the calories. Like I said, it took time (since 7/08) to get to this point. It certainly can be done.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #6  

Thanks SBD I will keep that in mind so I don't get discurraged. I have to try and remind myself that 30 years of bad eating habbits won't disappear quickly!

Congratulations on your success!