General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Default diet soda cake

I've seen diet soda cake discussed... I remember some people said an actual whole cake might not work and only cupcakes since there are no eggs to hold a whole cake together. If I put in eggs and a can of soda would that be ok? Or has anyone made a whole cake with just the diet soda?
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My mom has. She's made it several times and almost always as a cake (I think she only made cupcakes once).

She doesn't use eggs, just the can of soda. It's a very moist cake, but it holds together just fine.

I made it once using a can of soda and two egg whites. I actually like the soda-only version better.

I avoid wheat so I don't make it any more, but I didn't find the egg whites to be an improvement.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:14 AM   #3  

thanks kaplods. my mom wants a cake for Easter and I didn't have any oil on hand..so I figured why not try the diet soda cake. She doesn't usually like 'diet' foods, so if she likes this then that will be great... super cheap and will be better for her... I just won't tell her it's diet/low calorie
Old 04-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #4  
rukiddingme

S/C/G: 340/304/180

Height: 5'7"

I have made this cake myself a few times I used a cherry vanilla diet dr. pepper with a chocolate cake mix and it turned out great.

I also used a yellow cake mix and a 20oz can of crushed pineapple (juice included) and topped it with cool whip it was out of this world!
rukiddingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have made it several times just using diet soda and as a cake, never cupcakes. It comes out great you cannot tell that there was anything unusual about the way you made the cake. I baked it in an 8-9" square cake pan.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:51 AM   #6  

it came out good. I didn't use the eggs, just soda. Had to be a little careful layering it and of course PAM the pan well. My mom didn't seem to notice it was made different... we'll see if she eats the rest.

the dr pepper sounds good... I'll have to try different sodas since I'll probably make cakes like this from now on..it's even easier than using the oil and eggs.

making it with the pineapple..does the cake taste like pineapple? maybe it can be made into a pinacolda type cake.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #7  
rukiddingme

Ringmaster,

It does taste like pineapple but its not over powering at all and the great thing about this cake besides being super moist is that the first day you bake it the edges are real crispy and sweet from the sugar in the pineapple. Not diet friendly I know but its super easy to throw together and its a great cake to take to a gathering everyone loves it. Enjoy
Old 04-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukiddingme View Post
I have made this cake myself a few times I used a cherry vanilla diet dr. pepper with a chocolate cake mix and it turned out great.

I also used a yellow cake mix and a 20oz can of crushed pineapple (juice included) and topped it with cool whip it was out of this world!
What kind of diet soda did you use ?
Old 04-26-2011, 01:33 AM   #9  
Chasing 140!

S/C/G: 190/160/140

Height: 5feet 3inches

My favorite is the red velvet cake mix with diet dr. pepper, it is very yummy.
dust2bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #10  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

I love making this with white cake and a diet cream soda!
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #11  
rukiddingme

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
What kind of diet soda did you use ?
Im assuming your asking about the yellow cake with the pineapple? If so I didnt use any soda at all I just used the pineapple (make sure its crushed) and the juice from the same can. Believe it or not there is enough liquid to make the cake moist enough to pour into the baking pan.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukiddingme View Post
Im assuming your asking about the yellow cake with the pineapple? If so I didnt use any soda at all I just used the pineapple (make sure its crushed) and the juice from the same can. Believe it or not there is enough liquid to make the cake moist enough to pour into the baking pan.
I assumed you used diet soda as that is what this thread was all about, diet soda cake.