What do you love more than food?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • What do you tell yourself when you are about to fall off the wagon and eat something bad? What motivates you? I want to make a big list and put in on my fridge
  • I love not forcing myself to sit out on the sidelines and watch people have fun.
  • Remembering how tight my pants used to be! And wanting to be healthy & active for my son Good Luck to you!
  • Honestly, there is nothing I really love more than food. Pathetic, but honest.

I don't have anything in my home that I "shouldn't" eat. That's the only way I've been able to control this monster.
  • I don't think I love many things more than food, though I did manage to fight off a STRONG urge to order a pizza yesterday by distracting myself with violin practice. Like milmin, I just can't have "bad idea" food in the house.

I'm very lazy by nature, so unless I'm already mid-binge I am too lazy to walk 10 minutes to the convenience store to buy junk food if I'm at home craving it.
  • -cute, awesome clothing (which I can't fit into when I'm overweight or loving food too much)
    -hot boots (I love them but it's hard to find any that fit when you have enormous calves)
    -sex (enjoyable at any weight, but more enjoyable when I am comfortable, fit, happy and feeling good about my body)
    -never getting sick (I haven't had a single cold since I started losing weight!)
  • See...for me, I HAVE to have 'bad idea' food in my house...I have a 12 yr old! To make matters worse...I am exposed to pizza, cakes, cookies, etc. on a daily basis.

That said...if you can avoid having those things around the house (i.e. no kids), then by all means, I agree the Milmin & Krampus, but if your like me and cannot avoid it...this is what I do:

When I crave a food...like really bad...I eat it. I don't eat a whole lot of it...but I eat it until I am content. I find that when I don't deny myself any food...it takes away the power from that food. That said again...I try to keep delishous, healthy treats around the house (healthier substitutions, if you will).

Look...bottom line...this journey is about planning. Your either planning to succeed or by default...have planned to fail. This journey, IMHO, is not about denial or deprivation...it's about moderation. You can eat ANY FOOD in moderation...so hey..if you want a cookie, I say eat a cookie...not the whole bag....again...moderation.
  • I love putting on my old jeans and having no muffin top. I love not dreading putting on clothes in the morning. I love going into a store, picking up a size medium top and it fitting nicely. I love the feeling I get after a run. I love not thinking about cancelling plans with friends last minute because I am 10 pounds heavier than the last time I seen them. I love that beach season is coming. I love the energy I have now. I love not having that feeling of loathe when getting into bed and thinking "I'll start tomorrow." I could go on and on. I love food too, but I really do love healthy, delicious, simple foods and how much better I feel physically and mentally when I choose them over large amounts of junk.
  • Hmm what do I love MORE than food?......breathing! Foods a close second tho! Haha
  • joyfulloser-I hear ya on that one! My 3 eating machine boys are all grown and out on their own now. It was SO much harder when they lived at home. When I would try to eat healthier, I would always feel like I was being deprived when I would be eating carrot sticks and they were eating doritoes and pizza.

I have to admit, it is much easier this way and I completely understand what you're saying. Also, krampus, I am lazy too in that I won't ever go out and "get" the junk food. If I don't have it here and don't buy, I will never go out and get it.
  • i think i love myself more than food now. sounds crazy but yeah, thats it for me.
  • I know to some it may seem silly, but apart from the obvious choices of my parents and sister, the thing I love more than food is rarely thought of as a "thing" to me. She's my dog. Sometimes, I have a hard time thinking of her as a "dog" or an "animal" and not as "my friend."

I would walk over hot coals for her, and I would tear anyone who dared abuse or hurt her limb from limb.

She drives me absolutely batpoop insane; she's extremely hyper, extremely stubborn, strong willed, defiant, and all the things I never wanted in a dog but if I think of my life without her, it's a pretty bleak picture.

In the past 10 months that she's been alive, she has changed who I am for the better. I am a more patient person because of her trials, I am a more mature person because of having to care for her, I am more caring because I have to open myself up to her so she knows she's loved and wanted.

When I found out, the day she was having her spay, that she had mild hip dysplasia, I had to pull the car over because I was sobbing so hard. My guy friend thought I was slightly insane over it because in his words "it's just a dog."

She's not "just" a dog - she's my dog. She's my constant companion. She's one of the few "people" that looks at me and doesn't see my weight, or my bad hair, or my acne, or my crooked teeth, or my insecurities, or my self-doubt, or my self-esteem problems. When she sees me, she sees ME and she loves ME because of everything that I am to her; safety, comfort, love, guidance, leadership, strength.

She loves me no matter what.

I always wanted a dog, but I never really knew how much I needed this one in my life.

There isn't anything I can think of that I love more than food.

If I had children, I'm sure I'd feel the exact same way about them as I feel about my Nilla Bean.

Long, sappy post.. I'm sorry lol
  • Well, the only things I love more than food are my children and my dh.

But that doesn't answer the question. The one thing that stops me from eating bad food is that I love to look slim and sexy. I love that I can feel my ribcage and the muscles of my waist and that I have fantastic legs now from running (if a little too muscular). And I love that I have done it all myself - I went from being fat and flabby to fit and amazing, all by my own strength of will.

I wanted it and I got it - and I'm not sabotaging it now.
  • Rainbowgirl, your post about your pup made me a little teary. I feel the same way about my dogs and my kitty (they are my parents'). I want a pet so badly that I'm planning a move into a new place just to get one!

I love my family, my bf, my friends, my new body and my pets more than food.
  • things I love more than food:
    ~confidence that oozes out of my pores
    ~running without having body aches or my knees make noises (they used to make a cricking cracking noise...very disturbing)
    ~feeling "normal" and knowing I blend in with the crowd
    ~shopping! not having to limit myself to certain stores and styles
    ~wearing heels more often...they hurt a lot less and my balance is a lot better now
    ~having more stamina than most of the women (and my 20 lb lighter friend!) in my Zumba class.