Darkness on inner thighs

• There's something I dread just as much as the stomach flap; the darkness on the inner thighs. I've heard tons of reasons they're there- but I want to know how to get rid of them. I scrub in the shower, I try lemon juice, sugar scrubs, nothing seems to work. Are there any safe lightening cremes anyone knows of? I have something to get rid of an overgrowth of keratin, but I think it's a bit too strong to put on my thighs.

And does this always require a trip to the doctor or anything? Some people say yes, but others just tell me it will go away with the more weight I lose. Great, if it does, but if not- I want something to help lighten it.
  • Is there any chance that you are having a yeast infection, like Candida? Do you have anything more than darkened skin?

Being that I don't have more than 25 post here, I can't paste a link for it here, but try googling ringworm infections or yeast infections.
  • I've noticed on areas my skin is darker (inner thighs and armpits) it gets a lil better when I exfoliate everyday and moisturize..unfortunately I forget most the time so I don't know if it ever gets rid of it completely. Let us know if you find something please
  • Quote: Is there any chance that you are having a yeast infection, like Candida? Do you have anything more than darkened skin?

Being that I don't have more than 25 post here, I can't paste a link for it here, but try googling ringworm infections or yeast infections.
    I don't think so. Nothing more than darkened skin. I guess "dark spots" wasn't the best way to describe it. There's nothing raised, and it's not spotty or blotchy. Just my inner thighs are a bit of a darker color than the rest of my legs.
  • i have that too, and honestly i see it on every woman i know. i really just think it's natural. maybe you shouldn't worry about it too much :3
  • health care permitting...I'd go see a doctor and ask about seeing an endocrinologist. Dark patches of skin like you're describing can be a symptom of insulin resistance--e.g., pre-diabetes or PCOS. The skin patches are more often around the neck, armpits, knee, or groin, but inner thigh isn't far off either. It's probably worth getting a medical check now--and, if you do have insulin resistance, getting the right insulin-management advice _now_ to avoid problems later.
  • Quote: health care permitting...I'd go see a doctor and ask about seeing an endocrinologist. Dark patches of skin like you're describing can be a symptom of insulin resistance--e.g., pre-diabetes or PCOS. The skin patches are more often around the neck, armpits, knee, or groin, but inner thigh isn't far off either. It's probably worth getting a medical check now--and, if you do have insulin resistance, getting the right insulin-management advice _now_ to avoid problems later.

I initially registered just to read the threads, but I think this poster may be correct. The condition is called Acanthosis Nigricans and is common in people with insulin resistance. I can't post a link yet, but google has tons of information
  • I was diagnosed with PCOS in my late 20's, and the acanthosis nigricans was one of my symptoms. I had pretty bad insulin resistance, and once that was brought under control, my skin returned to normal.

The fasting test for insulin levels is a simple blood test. Your PCP should be able to order it with little trouble.