How to raise my HDL?

• I had my first lipid panel done last week and my numbers were generally in good ranges with the exception of my HDL cholesterol, which was 51 mg/dL. I am going to see my nutritionist about this but I wanted a little head start on thinking about the changes I can make. Do you have any suggestions for raising HDL cholesterol?

I did a little internet search and found lists of basically things I'm already doing (and have been for months): I'm working on losing weight; I don't drink; I eat eggs, walnuts, fish, etc. multiple times per week; I don't smoke; I work out 4-6 days/week for about 50 minutes per session; I eat at least 25 grams of fiber per day. I read a suggestion to drink orange juice or cranberry juice daily but I'm on a low-sugar plan so I don't consider that an option for now, at least until I'm maintaining my goal weight. Should I just do MORE of these same things or are there other things I could try? Or will it take some more months to see the effects of the changes I've already made?
  • regular moderate/high intensity exercise raises good cholesterol.
  • It's a bit controversial, but some lowcarb gurus claim eating animal fats(saturated) instead of vegetable fats (mono/polyunsaturated) will raise HDL without affecting other lipid profiles. Read Dr Eades (Protein Power)and Mark Sisson (Primal).

Also read that niacin can increase levels.
  • Quote: It's a bit controversial, but some lowcarb gurus claim eating animal fats(saturated) instead of vegetable fats (mono/polyunsaturated) will raise HDL without affecting other lipid profiles. Read Dr Eades (Protein Power)and Mark Sisson (Primal).

I don't know, but I had a panel done about 3 weeks ago - my HDL was up to 89 from last year's 65. I have been eating Primal/Paleo (I slash it because I'm on and off dairy) for almost one year. I don't sit around chowing fat and lard, BUT I cook my eggs and some vegetables in bacon dripping (from nitrate free good quality bacon which I indulge in once a week or week and a half), I eat a fair amount of coconut oil (saute vegetables in it, occasionally put it in my coffee), eats lots of avocados, eggs (with yolk), olive oil, oh, and coconut milk.

I also take a fish oil supplement daily, but I've been doing that for a few years.

My doctor was very pleased and approves of how I'm eating. I must say, I was a little shocked myself.
  • Quote: It's a bit controversial, but some lowcarb gurus claim eating animal fats(saturated) instead of vegetable fats (mono/polyunsaturated) will raise HDL without affecting other lipid profiles. Read Dr Eades (Protein Power)and Mark Sisson (Primal).

I was going to suggest coconut oil...
  • Olive oil, flaxseed oil, cold water fish like salmon,
    Exercise
  • What was your total cholesterol?
    I think 51 for HDL is fine. I'm not a doctor though. Was your doctor concerned?