General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

Default How to raise my HDL?

I had my first lipid panel done last week and my numbers were generally in good ranges with the exception of my HDL cholesterol, which was 51 mg/dL. I am going to see my nutritionist about this but I wanted a little head start on thinking about the changes I can make. Do you have any suggestions for raising HDL cholesterol?

I did a little internet search and found lists of basically things I'm already doing (and have been for months): I'm working on losing weight; I don't drink; I eat eggs, walnuts, fish, etc. multiple times per week; I don't smoke; I work out 4-6 days/week for about 50 minutes per session; I eat at least 25 grams of fiber per day. I read a suggestion to drink orange juice or cranberry juice daily but I'm on a low-sugar plan so I don't consider that an option for now, at least until I'm maintaining my goal weight. Should I just do MORE of these same things or are there other things I could try? Or will it take some more months to see the effects of the changes I've already made?
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #2  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

regular moderate/high intensity exercise raises good cholesterol.

Last edited by joyfulloser; 04-12-2011 at 09:53 PM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:41 AM   #3  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

S/C/G: 212 / 204 / 150

Height: 5'3"

It's a bit controversial, but some lowcarb gurus claim eating animal fats(saturated) instead of vegetable fats (mono/polyunsaturated) will raise HDL without affecting other lipid profiles. Read Dr Eades (Protein Power)and Mark Sisson (Primal).

Also read that niacin can increase levels.

Last edited by wurdnerd; 04-13-2011 at 05:44 AM.
wurdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurdnerd View Post
It's a bit controversial, but some lowcarb gurus claim eating animal fats(saturated) instead of vegetable fats (mono/polyunsaturated) will raise HDL without affecting other lipid profiles. Read Dr Eades (Protein Power)and Mark Sisson (Primal).

I don't know, but I had a panel done about 3 weeks ago - my HDL was up to 89 from last year's 65. I have been eating Primal/Paleo (I slash it because I'm on and off dairy) for almost one year. I don't sit around chowing fat and lard, BUT I cook my eggs and some vegetables in bacon dripping (from nitrate free good quality bacon which I indulge in once a week or week and a half), I eat a fair amount of coconut oil (saute vegetables in it, occasionally put it in my coffee), eats lots of avocados, eggs (with yolk), olive oil, oh, and coconut milk.

I also take a fish oil supplement daily, but I've been doing that for a few years.

My doctor was very pleased and approves of how I'm eating. I must say, I was a little shocked myself.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurdnerd View Post

I was going to suggest coconut oil...
FitnessTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #6  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

Olive oil, flaxseed oil, cold water fish like salmon,
Exercise
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #7  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

What was your total cholesterol?
I think 51 for HDL is fine. I'm not a doctor though. Was your doctor concerned?
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote