General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #1  

Default Low calorie pizza?

Been on a diet for two weeks now (the first diet in like 10 years) and it's going okay. I don't know how much I've lost, as I don't own a scale and don't really want to bother with that. All I want to do is lose weight to physically feel better. So I'll just weigh myself whenever I notice a scale somewhere, a friend's place or something.

I'm doing an 800 calorie diet, so I now I'll be losing weight anyway.

What I really, really, really crave is pizza. I've never managed to find a super low calorie pizza recipe, as the flour always just makes it go bonkers in the calorie department. Do you know one? I love vegetables and I don't need cheese - what I really want is just the pizza feel, with bread and baked toppings and something to make my taste buds actually feel something. But whenever I try, even with both dried and fresh spices, I just manage to make something completely bland and boring.
conebone69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #2  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I use pita bread as crust when I am in a hurry.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #3  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I make rice cake pizzas. I put pizza sauce and low-fat shredded mozzarella, and it totally satisfies the pizza craving. There are also some great recipes for cauliflower "crust" out there that I use often.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #4  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Rice cake pizzas?... Interesting! Sometimes I just use flatout wraps or english muffins (thomas 100cal/light would work) and use homemade tomato sauce with reduced fat cheese. Load it up with a lot of veggies. I recommended cooking the onions and whatnot first before putting it on- I find it's more sweeter and flavorful that way.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #5  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

PS... 800 calories?.... I sure hope you know what you're doing...
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #6  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Unless you're about 3'8" and sedentary, 800 calories is probably too low to fulfill your daily nutrient needs unless you're on a medically supervised program. If you are on such a program, I don't think homemade pizza of any sort will fill the bill.

With that said, you might want to look into some of the cauliflower "pizzas" that other chicks have posted recipes for. I've not tried it myself--I'm calorie-counting and just eat homemade pizza when I want pizza as it fits fine into a 1500-calorie plan--but others swear by it.

Get creative with toppings. Amandie's suggestion of sauteeing the onions before they go on the pizza is a great one; caramelized onions are magnificent on a pizza with some Gruyere cheese and lean ham. If you like parmesan cheese, invest in a block of Parmigiano Reggiano to grate on your food; it has a huge flavor, but only 20 calories per level tablespoon when grated.

For what it's worth, I'm losing pretty steadily on 1500 calories a day as a fortyish woman with a sedentary job; you are eating barely over half what I am. That could explain your pizza cravings. I'm rarely troubled with cravings because my plan ensures that I have enough room for nutrition.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #7  

I found a pizza crust recipe that comes out to 550 calories for the whole pizza. Here's the link.

This pizza, while thin-crust (don't be too aggressive with the dough, and don't be afraid to patch holes!), works well. As far as actual dough goes, this is one of the better options I've found.

As crust alternatives, I LOVE portobello mushrooms. They are very low calorie, dense, and a nice size for piling on toppings. You could also try, as others have mentioned, pita breads or sandwich thins. Also, check into your toppings. Find the things that work best for you, and get creative with the spices (and sauces!).

Aside from that...I'm nervous about 800 calories for you. If you'd been here longer, I would assume that you've done your homework/spoken with a doctor...but, seeing as that this thread is your second post, I'd like to strongly encourage you click around the forums and gain some more information.

I don't know any of your stats/health issues/so on, but 800 calories seems too low...especially when it comes to maintaining later on down the road.

I'm not trying to lecture you at all - just making sure that you've done your homework. PLEASE feel free to ask questions...we're all here to help each other succeed!
ArcticFrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/130

Height: 5'0

I second the portabello pizzas. Sooo good!
WeightForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #9  

I am on a supervised program that gives my body all it needs in terms of carbs, proteins, vitamins, minerals, fiber, healthy fat... everything. And I am aware of the future changes in my diet. I'm doing this program because I currently can't function with my back problems - so my weight loss has to happen fast in the beginning. So no need to worry.

Cauliflower pizza - wow, that seems very HIGH calorie with a whole egg and a cup of cheese in the dough?!

Thanks for the 550 calorie recipe, I'll try that one.
conebone69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have made zuchinni crust pizza before. I found the recipe in Cooking Light magazine I think.

Another alternative is this. Do you have a Papa Murphy's near you? If so, they will custom make your pizza. They have a crust called the Delite. It is super thin. Get the red sauce and the gourmet veggies and you will be fine calorie wise per slice.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #11  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
I have made zuchinni crust pizza before. I found the recipe in Cooking Light magazine I think.
Can you please post a recipe for the zucchini crust pizza? We plan on planting zucchini in summer again. Last year we had 88, so any zucchini recipe is welcome :-)
Thanks!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #12  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

2 cups grated zucchini, 2 whole eggs, 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour, 1 TBS. olive oil, any spices you want (garlic, oregano, basil, etc)

Combine all items. Roll out on pizza stone and cook at 400 degrees for about 8-10 minutes. Remove and do your sauce and toppings. Place back in oven at 350 degrees until toppings are warm or cheese is bubbly.

Note: This is awesome for anyone following low GI foods as well. I actually found it in a diabetic magazine.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 03-25-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #13  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #14  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by conebone69 View Post
Cauliflower pizza - wow, that seems very HIGH calorie with a whole egg and a cup of cheese in the dough?!
I use the recipe loosely — I use egg beaters and low-fat cheese, put 1/4 cup in the dough and 1/2 cup on top, and the whole thing ends up being about 350 calories. And it's a big pizza. Very filling.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #15  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Ah, thanks for letting us know that you're working with your doctor on your plan; that's good to hear.

There are different recipes for cauliflower pizza; ParadiseFalls has one to try. I confess I've actually not tried it--as I mentioned before, my own calorie intake is a good bit higher and I just make regular homemade pizza dough/sauce--but it's one that I've seen mentioned frequently here.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote