General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 01:27 AM   #136  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Hi everybody. Sorry I have been MIA. Well I have one final out of the way but one more coming up on Tuesday. I stressed and stressed over my Math final and would you believe I got a 92 on my final! It had only 30 questions so you can imagine how much the are worth each; which was why I was stressing! But thankfully I made a 92 getting only 7 wrong and ended up with a 89 2/3 average for the semester which the teacher said she would be rounding up to a 90! YES! Woohoo! Now the big one!. Aphil I have to admit I have not gotten any exercise in and I feel crummy about it. Not because I am feeling guilty but my body is used to exercising that it is fussing with me to get exercise in. Unfortunately I haven't been able to make time. I will soon I promise.

Oh remember I mentioned the 100 mile challenge at school and for every 100 miles completed you would earn a shirt within Sept.-Dec. Well I won two shirts with 233 miles calculated. Woohoo! And the best thing is I had asked for a XL because I figured that would be the size I would fit into by the end of it all...well I am swimming in the darn thing. So I will be giving one to dad and I will keep one just for the heck of it. But I will certainly be joining again in the Spring and next time I will ask for the right size.

Okay talk later. bye.
Corina
Old 12-14-2002, 09:30 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone,
Nancy-thanks for the dancing guys! This feels really good. You know...I think that if you stay 100% OP, and combine that with daily exercise-for you it would be convenient to walk the mall for 20-30 minutes each day-I think you could burn enough calories to hit 180 by New Years....
Well everyone...I have a bit of a challenge for everyone to go with our Christmas challenge that we have going on. I would like everyone to post up here what we eat for the next few days, like today post what you have eaten yesterday, and tomorrow post what we ate today. I think it will really help us see a lot of things...where the ones who are having trouble losing lately can refine their diet a bit, what the ones of us who are losing well are eating to promote that loss, and so on, and also give us some ideas of maybe some new meal combinations.
Here is my diet from yesterday:
BREAKFAST
1 serving of multigrain cereal w 1/2c. skim milk-170 calories
1c. skim milk w a little lite chocolate syrup-130
SNACK
banana-100
LUNCH
pasta with peas and carrots-180 calories
SlimFast snack bar-120
DINNER
chicken and rice-230
2 servings of mixed vegetables-225
apple-80
4 vanilla wafers-100
SNACK-
nutrient bar-230
DAILY TOTAL-1565
The servings of cereal and pasta are pretty small, noting the calorie count-and I have been trying to eat at least 2 servings of fruit, and of vegetables each day-which I did yesterday. I have been eating smaller meals with snacks inbetween, rather than eating 3 larger meals, or not eating much all day and saving a lot of calories for a large dinner-this helps keep your blood levels stable and your energy up, as well as help keep that metabolism up and running. My downfall yesterday was craving sweets, and I usually only allow it once a day, but I did twice yesterday with the Snack bar and the vanilla wafers....I blame TOM...
All in all it was a decent day as far as everythig else.
As far as exercise...I began breaking myself back into the weights a bit, as my back is starting to heal more from the yoga-so I did a lighter weighted upper body workout-which is using 3 pound weights instead of the 5 and 8 pounds like usual.
Well, I better be off-I need to get my son dressed and changed...and eat breakfast an dget this day started!
Aphil
Old 12-14-2002, 12:18 PM   #138  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

YIKES! I am going to have to air my dirty laundry.

Breakfast~~~

1 tamale, water

Lunch~~~

a bowl of cereal, water

Dinner~~~

3 enchiladas, rice, beans, water

Cheats~~~

miniature snicker's candy 4 of them, and a peppermint candy
then drank about 4 glasses of water because that is when I realize that I hadn't drinken my allotted 8 glasses.

I didn't do any exercise for the day. I have been busy with the kids Christmas parties and all the studying I have for my upcoming final.

I am off to do the grocery shopping.
bye. corina
Old 12-14-2002, 04:15 PM   #139  

Hello!
Just from looking at your first days menu Kina-plus the one you put up for me a couple weeks ago-I really think you would have much better losses if you could refine your diet a bit-as far as fruit, veggies, and dairy. I usually do alright with the fruit and veggies, but dairy is where I have my trouble, as I am not a milk drinker (I actually hate any milk but skim-I hate the creamy aftertaste in whole and 2% milk and will NOT drink them at all), and I hate cottage cheese, etc.-so I have to pretty much force down a glass of skim milk a day or have a small flavored yogurt, and take a calcium and Vitamin D supplement.
I really cannot stress enough how much these aid in weight loss. Your calorie levels look alright, but your diet is consisting mostly of protein and starch. The produce is essential and will help you lose weight a little faster, because they are high fiber foods-meaning a lot of the calories you consume from them do not stay in your body if you know what I mean... I know it is hard to get used to doing it everyday, but try to set a mini goal of eating one fruit or vegetable each day this week, and next week try to make it two-it makes it a bit easier this way. It does so much besides the weight loss-produce have so many natural things in them such as pectin-which can cause the tummy to empty slower-meaning you stay full longer, immune system boosting vitamins, and what I think is most important-cancer fighting properties.
As far as the candy-at least it was peppermints and such, and not a half pound of chocolate-so that's not too bad. I have a real bad sweet tooth, so I totally understand that.
I don't want anyone to feel bad as I talk about what everyone is eating-so I am real open about what my downfalls are as well...(chocolate and sugar )
This is why I wanted everyone to do this-so I could see and maybe pinpoint any problem areas and ways to work on them so we can all have those scales going down a little faster-which I think everyone wants!
If anyone wants the Cracker Barrel information I have gooten thus far, it was up on the home page here-it is not in the restaurant information section yet-and I am currently on a quest to get more items out of them soon.
Aphil
Old 12-15-2002, 11:14 AM   #140  

Good morning everyone!
Here is what my diet consisted of yesterday...
BREAKFAST
small serving of shredded wheat cereal w 1/2c. skim milk-180
1c. skim milk w a dab of lite choc. syrup-130
LUNCH
chicken and rice-230
soup-160
SNACK
apple-80
DINNER
macaroni and cheese-250
two servings of vegetables-120
SNACK
Slim Fast snack bar-130
CALORIES FOR THE DAY-1280
I did alright yesterday-good on calories, but I should have snuck in another fruit serving yesterday, but I didn't really feel like eating much all day long-but I made myself eat as much as I did. Today is my husband's little cousin's 4th birthday party-we are gettting ready to take the kids over there. His name is Dylan-he is such a sweetie. He has Down's Syndrome, and I got to hold him right after he was born-he was the tiniest baby I have ever held-(I think he was 18 inches long and 5 pounds.) He was born a couple months after I had my daughter-and after lugging her big butt around, he was like holding a doll!
I better get off of here and get ready to go to his party-wish me luck on avoiding any cake or ice cream....I have found that letting everyone knwo that you are trying to lose weight makes it easier to say no,because it at least makes me feel like everyone is taking note of what I am eating, so I am less likely to pig in front of them...
I'll check in later!
Aphil
Old 12-15-2002, 01:55 PM   #141  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello!

First, congrats to Amy on another pound gone forever!!! That is so great.

Then, yay to Nancy for having the courage to tell the doctor the honest truth! It is so easy for us to be intimidated by someone in a specialized field, such as medicine, law, even our mechanic - they are in the position of "power" with the specialized knowledge and ususally we are at their mercy - but when it is YOUR body and mind, and YOU know what is happening inside you, and they just blow it off...well GRRR!!! and to say that he didn't have time to take your BP...I'm so proud of you to walk out on him. But not glad that you're without a good doctor...sure hope you can find one soon.

And hooray again for staying OP! And you give such good imagery on the jerky doc chasing after his rug!!

Hi Kina, GREAT score! Must be so hard to fit school into already busy life. Good for you! And cool that the size T-shirt was too big for you!!!

Hi tryin'hard! yes - we were so motivated we didn't have time to post!

I just CAN'T post what I had yesterday - I would be the 3FC poster "bad girl" , 'cause we went to a Christmas party - my husband's rescue squad party - and gosh, everyone so boring (except us ) that eating is the only entertaining thing to do (BAD ME!) So I will think of having to post tomorrow what I eat today. Good incentive, Amy!

I got my first few Christmas cards in the mail, so I'll have to start on those. I don't do lots - maybe 20 or so. I've whittled it down from year to year - I don't send them to those who don't send to us; I don't send to those who only know my husband (if I'm doing the work, then they've gotta be my friends, too! ), etc.

We have such a small, crammed house, that it's major to move things around to make room for the Christmas tree, but that's what I have to do today. So I'd better get crackin'!

Have a great Sunday, and we'll keep in mind what goes into our mouths today, 'cause it'll show up tomorrow!

Your friend, Holly
Old 12-15-2002, 09:04 PM   #142  

Hi!
Holly-that is so funny about the Christmas cards...this year I just said heck with it and decided not to send any-I just have too many things going on, and no time to take the hour or two out and do them-I was also reading an article about having a stress free holiday season, and they listed not writing Christmas cards as one of the top ways to do it!
After Dylan's birthday party, we left and went to Fazoli's for dinner...I had an order of lasagna-and could only eat half of it-I swear my tummy must be shrinking down to nothing. I am so used to eating small meals with a small snack inbetween, there was no way I could have finished that restaurant portion of food-so...half of the lasagna was only 300 some calories...I have it written own from the website on my food diary.
Well, I better get things ready for bed-it has been a long day.
Everyone have a wonderful evening.
Aphil
Old 12-15-2002, 11:18 PM   #143  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Thanks Aphil for the input. I didn't post yesterdays food intake and I would be too embarrassed to do it anyway. We had a celebration at a pizza parlor which is the worst place for me and even more so becuase it is buffet pizza! So anyway todays food intake...

Breakfast~~~~

2 eggs, 2 bacon, water

Lunch~~~~

fritos and chili beans with cheese, diet coke

Dinner~~~~(is going to be late; and since I haven't had any veggies I will fix myself a lite salad)

tossed salad (lettuce, tomato, cheese, bell pepper, pickle) ranch dressing, and bacon bits

Cheats~~~

mini-snickers about 5, 2 candy canes, and a apple, and lots of water.

Thank you again for your input. Like I said I don't have a sister to learn from or to ask questions about this and that. So I am very grateful to have you all to listen to and learn from.

I have an awful headache. Probably 'cause my brain is contemplating my English 1301 final. I am going to fix myself a salad for tomorrow with some hamburger patties to crumble over it. Well I will talk to you all later. I need to eat so that I can get into bed a little bit early. bye.
Kina
Old 12-16-2002, 07:37 AM   #144  

Good morning everyone!
It is about 7 am here-I just finished my upper body weights workout...and I am trying to light a fire under my own rear end to do my abs now...
I had my Monday morning weigh in....(drumroll please)...and I am at 192-another pound down! I am so hyped-because the next pound I lose will make it 20!!!!
Then I will be here doing the happy dance!
Okay ladies-we only have 9 more days until the end of the Christmas challenge-I know all of you can squeeze out another pound or two off of those rear ends-I KNOW YOU CAN!!!! I am working my darndest to get to my mini goal of weighing 190 by Christmas-because I want to weigh something that begins with a 18 at New Years!
I Know everyone here can do this-I was having quite a time with the scales not moving for a while-but once I refined my diet and stopped all of those little cheats and such-it is moving now. Do not listen when someone says that little bite won't hurt you-you may not gain anything, but all those little bites can add up and keep you from losing if you are making them a habit!
My husband was upset at me a bit for not eating anything but raw veggies and a slice of crustless pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving-he was like "It is only one day!!!" I told him-no, we had a big dinner for my birthday in the end of October, we have two family Thanksgiving celeberations, (one for each side of the family), we have 4 different Christmas dinners for all of the different sides of the family-plus the Christmas party-so over our holiday season that equals 8 DAYS!!!! That is over an entire week of pigging out-and I just cannot let myself do it! I can go and enjoy and allow myself a few bites of dessert at Thanksgiving or a glass of champagne at New years, but I cannot allow myself to eat whatever I want on all of those days-I just cannot. I have worked too hard-and I have to wear shorts this spring!
Oh-I forgot to mention that I passed on having cake, ice cream and punch at the party yesterday...
Kina-good for you on eating the salad last night, and for having an apple. It is really a good habit to get into, and will really help your losses. I also wanted to address the Snickers issue-(no, I am not going to yell at you! ) I know that you don't really watch calories, but all candy bars are not created equal. You would do better having a Hershey Kiss rather than a mini Snickers-a lot less calories-and you can make it last longer by sucking on it instead of chewing it. If you replaced the few Snickers you had yesterday, you would save alot of calories that way, and still have a chocolate fix. If you compare a full size Snickers to say a full size Kit Kat or Hershey bar-a Snickers has a lot more calories than the rest, because of all the peanuts. Nuts are really high in calories...or even better yet, if you could replace all of those candy slip ups with one small mini candy cane-the ones that are about 2-3 inches tall-and bite off a tiny piece and suck on it-so that it last you all day-you would save even more. Candy canes are actually one of my saving graces at holiday gatherings...They are fat free, and for the calories in them, you can make one last a LONG time.
Well, I better go-I need to get these abs worked, and get this place cleaned up-my mother is going to be here in the midmorning to visit with the kids!
Aphil
Old 12-16-2002, 10:30 AM   #145  

Good morning everyone! Once again, Thanks Aphil for keeping us on track! Here goes:
Bfast: 1 egg fried w/ Pam 80 cal
english muffin with butter spray 140 cal
Lunch: a bowl of oatmeal with raisins 200
Snack: dried apples 100, handful of carrots 50
Dinner: 4 turkey meatballs w/ sauce 200
roll, salad 200
wine 150
Dessert: WW giant sundae 130 (have you tried these???)
Total: 1250
I also RAN my walk yesterday!! I am so sore today, but I love it!!
I hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 12-16-2002, 07:31 PM   #146  

Hi everyone,
tryin' hard-I just looked over your diet for the day...you are doing well at your fruits and veggies, and eating whole grains, and your protein looks good...there are only 2 places where I think you could improve...the first is dairy-you need some dairy in there-and the other thing-and you all are NOT going to believe it when I say this-but you need to be eating a little more! If this was a low day, then it is fine, but if you are only eating around 1200-1300 calories a day-then you need to add a little at a time to that. You are still eating on a weight loss level-but since you have lost what you wanted to, and are working to maintain your present weight now-and ESPECIALLY since you have started running-it is a pretty strenuous exercise-I recommend you start eating around 1500 calories for a couple weeks, and if you are maintaining your weight eating 1500 calories a day, then move it up to 1800 calories for a couple weeks, and if you are still maintaining your weight after a couple weeks on 1800 calories-then move it up again to 2000 a day-and then try to keep it around 1900-2000 calories a day as a maintenance diet. That will also give you plenty of calories to have a couple servings of dairy, as well as a little larger meals.
When switching to a maintenance diet, it is important to add calories slowly-up it a bit, and then see what happens over the next couple weeks while your metabolism gets used to more...then up it a bit again until you reach a good daily maintenance diet. After being used to eating 1200-1500 calories for so long after losing the weight-when you get up to 2000 it is going to seem like you can eat so much food-but it is so much less than what you were eating when you were heavy.
Oh-and yes, I have tried the WW giant sundaes-I liked them, but I really love the WW big ice cream sandwiches....you have to try them...
Everyone is doing great-have a good night!
Aphil
Old 12-17-2002, 07:52 AM   #147  

Thanks for the advice, Aphil! It was a "low" day after going out for pizza the night before. Here's yesterday:
Bfast: Kashi cereal mixed w/bran flakes (love that fiber!) 200 cal
Lunch: diet bread w/fatfree cheese (here's my calcium), apple, handful of carrots 300
Snack: dried apples and two rice cakes 200
Dinner: lean cuisine 290
little salad and broccoli 100
stuffed clam 200???
Total: 1390
I am trying to eat a little more, but after being so strict for almost 2 years, it's tough. I read your other post, Aphil, about eating binges and it's almost like I can't allow myself to eat a lot because I'll be opening up a door that needs to be locked! Do you know what I mean? Even the stuffed clam I had last night--I really agonized over it because I bought it at a local fish market and they assured me that it had very little fat in it, but since I didn't know the calorie count, I was almost afraid to eat it. That's why I'm counting it at 200.
I am trying to eat about 1400 a day, knowing that I eat whatever I want on Friday nights and have the occasional glass of wine during the week, so I'm probably averaging where I should be for maintenance. My weight isn't moving, except for fluctuation (which drives me NUTS!), so for now, with the level of exercise that I'm doing, it's ok.
As for calcium, I am not a big milk person. I add a drop in my coffee and that's it, except for the cheese I eat every day. I will go for a checkup in Feb and ask about calcium supplements, unless any of you have any ideas?
Well, I hope you all have a great day. I have a really fun party tonight and I'm going to wear this body suit my DH got from Victoria's Secret and knock 'em dead!!
Old 12-17-2002, 09:21 AM   #148  

tryin'hard-I know how you feel-as I had lost the weight before and maintained a while before I becamse pregnant again and had to do this all over!
I would really try to up your calorie intake over 1400 a day, even with the Friday night splurge...but I know it is hard after being so strict, so that is why I suggested it a little at a time. 1400-1500 is still the weight loss phase-as Holly lost her weight eating about this each day. Try for 1500 a day for a while, and when you are comfortable that you can eat this daily and not gain-which is why I suggested it for a couple weeks-then try to move it up to 1600. If going only 100 calories up every couple weeks makes you feel more in control and more confident that you won't gain, then move ti up slower-but still move it up-you really need to. Your ending goal should be about 1800 a day plus your Friday night splurges out-I changed that from 2000 to incorporate that treat.
Do not think of it as opening a door for a binge, just move it up slowly, and tell yourself that you can have another serving of veggies, or another fruit, or a larger serving of cereal in the morning-but htat you are still committed to feeding your body right, and not for emotional eating. Tell yourself that your body requires a few more calories now for you to maintain your newly healthy body, and to support all of that fabulous running you have been doing. Do not think of those calories as an allowance for junk. You will be fine. Just go slow and steady to your maintenance eating, just as you did so patiently when you were losing the weight. You have worked for the more freedoms allowed on the maintenance eating plan, and I want you to take advantage of what you are allowed now.
As far as calcium supplements, I recommend Viactiv, and WalMart also has a generic for them that is just fine. They are 20 calories, and taste like a Tootsie Roll. They are a calcium and Vitamin D supplement, and provide 50% of your requirement each day. Aim for one in the am, and one at night, rather than both at the same time, because your body can only absorb so much at a time. What I like about them is that they contain Vitamin D, which is essential for your body to have to absorb the calcium into the body-which is why milk is fortified with Vitamin D.
I also recommend calcium fortified orange juice if you like to drink that.
Well, I better get this day started...Have a good morning!
Aphil
Old 12-17-2002, 10:43 AM   #149  

Thanks, Aphil! I especially like what you wrote about being committed to "feeding my body right." That will help me add calories without adding "junk." I truly appreciate it!
Next walmart trip I'll pick up the calcium supps. Do you take a daily multivitamin too? They always seem to stimulate my appetite.
Where is everybody? I hope all are well and we'll hear from you soon!
Old 12-17-2002, 12:58 PM   #150  

Hi,
tryin'hard-the only supplement I take right now is the calcium supplement mentioned above-since I vary my diet and eat a lot of fruits and veggies. I also eat fortified foods some of the time as well, such as a nutrient or meal replacement shake or bar now and then when I don't have time for breakfast, or when I am going to be at someone's home or out shopping during a meal hour, and I want to avoid eating fattening food if that is all that there is available where I am at the time.
I wanted to wrtie something up, a little list to help guide us through the holidays through New Years and avoid gaining...
WAYS TO SURVIVE THE HOLIDAY GATHERINGS
1.)Keep a glass of water or a diet soda in your hands and sip it often to avoid the food.
2.)If you are going to a dinner, make a diet dessert to take-that way you can join in the festivities and indulge your sweet tooth while sticking to your plan.(There are great ones all over the internet)
3.)If you are hosting or attending a small party, bring a fruit or veggie tray that you and everyone can enjoy.
4.)If you must drink, choose a light beer-(most are about 150 calories, Michelob Ultra is 95 calories) or a small glass of champagne or white wine (about 100 calories) rather than fattening eggnog, or juicy-foofoo-high calories drinks, or shots. (High alcahol shots are about 100-150 calories each, and you just don't get the enjoyment like in a full size beer or glass of bubbly.)
5.)Make sure everyone knows you are watching your weight-because knowing people may be watching what you are eating may give you extra incentive not to overeat.
6.)If you are hosting a party or gathering, have plenty of snacks that everyone enjoys that are lower in fat and calories natuarally,so noone notices-(pretzels are naturally lower in fat and calories than chips, and Baked Tostitos and salsa are much better than chips and french onion dip)
7.)Have a good time and indulge in a small piece or glass of one thing that you really love-for me at New Years it will be my glass of champagne, and I will avoid all of the chips and such. If you love dessert, choose a small slice of one kind of pie, and choose small portions of healtheir foods and no alcahol at that gathering. Choose one small splurge at each event, and then really savor it-take your time and enjoy it to its fullest. At Jason's Christmas party, for me it was running that skewer of fruit under the chocolate fountain a bit, and then I ate it slowly.
8.)Make sure to get in your exercise each day.
9.)Socialize-be there for the people, not for the food.
10.) Realize the total empowerment that making good food choices can give you, and gloat in the fact that you successfully avoided a certain temptation-coming back from Thanksgiving, instead of feeling stuffed, I was on an emotional high from how strong I was all day...it felt so much better than the feeling from eating all day.
Aphil
Closed Thread