General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #1  
small plates small bites

S/C/G: 187/135.9/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Alkaline Diet

Hi all
Has anyone else followed this principal of eating? it has been such a game-changer for me over the past 6 weeks and i'd love to know if anyone else has experienced similar results.

Before paying attention to the concepts of "acidic" and less-acidic or "alkaline" foods, my eating habits were pretty good, though I tended to over-indulge on meat, cheese and whole grain bread, in addition to chocolate on occasion. I was never a big fan of sweets/pastries/cakes etc. but give me a prime rib and some french fries and we were in business!

I had suffered with acid reflux/ stomach ulcers, and an overall gnawing feeling in my stomach, off and on, for a long time. Basically at times it felt like i was filled with battery acid, and sometimes I'd eat "soothing" foods like peanut butter or pudding, or bread/ pasta to try and end the feeling. Those calories added up at times as well.

Enter the Alkaline diet, which may not have one formal source or book, but if you google "Acid Alkaline food chart" or "Alkaline eating" you'll get an idea. WOW has everything changed for me! Though I miss meat, and dairy and sometimes processed foods, the gnawing feeling in my stomach (which was not hunger and in fact often occurred after I ate) has disappeared COMPLETELY. I can go longer between meals and don't experience "Crashes" associated with eating too many carbs and/or sugar.

Admittedly, some parts have not been as fun. No caffeine was tough for me, as was cutting down on alcohol. I do miss meat, but have become an expert at roasting vegetables and at cooking Polenta and Quinoa.

Anyway, any one else heard of this? Any stories to share?

Thanks, all!
TapasLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #2  

TapasLover,

Congratulations on finding a way to improve how you feel! Has this way of eating helped your weight loss? I've heard that it should help accelerate it and wonder if it is true.
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Macrobiotics is based on this concept (except they call it ying and yang). My family is macro, so I know tons about it.

It does work and it's a lifestyle change. Everyone in my family lost all their excess weight and are healthier and happier and have managed to reverse certain conditions they had.

It's a great way of living. I don't follow it myself because to be macro requires a lot of work and unless I stop working, it's an impossible lifestyle for me.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #4  
small plates small bites

Hi deetermined and Rana,
Rana, your words are so true. This is similar to macrobiotic eating, though I can't say I've been quite as "clean" in my food choices as macrobiotic dieting promotes. I have noticed amazing changes though. Among them:
--no more acid reflux
-- no more "upset/ acidic/ unsettled stomach feeling after meals
-- I used to flush easily, especially in my cheeks, and turn red while/ after eating or drinking wine. Not any more!
--clearer skin
--Drastically less bloating after some meals/ less sodium retention
-- no more "food hangovers" the next day
--- more energy, and better workout performance.
-- weight loss, of course-- the last 10 of my 30 or so lost has been while on this plan. And this has happened, at least in terms of my historic progress, fairly quickly. I'm in the last 15 or so that I want to lose, and I lost this previous 10 in the span of one month.

I live by the useful book "The Acid Alkaline Food Guide" which has lists of foods that are very alkaline/ somewhat alkaline/ somewhat acidic and highly acidic.
I eat nothing in the "highly acidic" category, stick to the Alkaline category, and limit the "slightly acidic".
It IS a way of eating, and takes some planning, especially when eating out-- but I've found that almost all places I've been (italian, indian, mexican, thai, chinese, lebanese restaurants) have some sort of option. I'm often ordering a lot of appetizers and side dishes

It is a great change for me--- if you'd like more info on a typical day of eating or menu ideas, let me know!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #5  

That would be great! I would love to hear what a typical day of eating is.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #6  
small plates small bites

Default Typical menu Day

Hi again,

Happy to post a typical day:

Breakfast
Banana with 2 tbsp Almond Butter or Steel cut oatmeal with raisins and a bit of honey, or trail mix made with roasted unsalted almonds, raisins and dried apricots.

Lunch:
HUGE salad filled with red bell peppers, spinach, cucumbers, carrots, corn. Maybe tofu, or quinoa for some protein.
Or
Quinoa mixed with garlic, sesame oil and tofu
or
polenta made with chicken stock, a bit of sliced jalepeno, low fat yogurt and a bit of sour cream.

Dinner:
TONS of roasted vegetables:
Eggplant, potatoes, squash (butternut or spaghetti) zucchini, parsnips, sweet potatoes etc.
Or
Polenta made with herbs and mushrooms, perhaps some tofu
or
big salad with lentils and mixed vegetables
or
soup-- butternut, corn, potato, etc
or avocado mixed with quinoa, cilantro, lime and jalepeno

etc etc.
Snacks: Almonds, almond butter, raisins.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #7  

TapasLover,

Thank you for posting your day! I have decided to get the guide that you recommended. Others on Amazon liked it, as well.

I'll see if being more balanced works for me.