General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/202/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Diet Coke

What are your opinions on diet drink? I haven't had leaded Coke in 10 years, but I can't seem to give up the diet ones? Do you think this will affect my weight loss?

currently 202 lbs.
bleumoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #2  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Maybe because I don't drink pop that often, I find Diet Coke to really be a big help some days because really kills my appetite. Whether it's from the caffeine in it, fooling my tastebuds into thinking I've had something sweet, or shear volume of ice cold drink in a short amount of time, I don't know.

I suspect I wouldn't get this nice boost if it was a regular item in my diet though. I use the "diet coke trick" about once a month.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 223/207/160

Height: 5' 5"

I quit diet Coke a few years ago, I have been tempted, but so far I haven't drank any, I do drink an occasional real Coke. Lesser of two evils??
Pam
Pamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #4  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I drink a lot of diet soda (pop). I personally don't think it is bad for you or will have any impact on your weight loss (well, a positive impact if it keeps you from drinking the real thing).

Some people claim that it will cause a craving for sugar and sweet things, but that hasn't happened to me.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I lost weight drinking them. Having a couple at night was a treat instead of cake or cookies. So, I think you can lose weight drinking them. As for them being healthy, not so much, it's questionable if they leech calcium and effect your bones and teeth...so I slowed down on them and drink more tea and coffee. I still have a couple of root beers a week, but not everyday.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #6  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I have one or two a day, then go a week without any. It feels like a treat without actually eating bad.

For me it works, it's also a nice caffiene boost when coffee and sugar free sweetener and coffee mate have so many carbs.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm against them, largely because artificial sweeteners give me migraines. Frankly, I'm against putting anything "artificial" in my body, but I DO live in America in 2010, so it's a little difficult to get around.

But do I think diet sodas impede weight loss? Probably not. I think it's a choice. Be aware that like Matt said, some people do find they have cravings with diet. But if you don't, well then great.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #8  
I LOVE Reece's

S/C/G: 218/218/150

Height: 5'3"

I gave up diet pepsi over a year ago. I have to say that was the BEST thing I have done for myself!!! I really didn't realize until I gave it up how dependant on soda I was and how much it was dragging my body down. Personally, I will never drink another diet soda. I will have a Natural Sugar soda every now and then, although I will NOT go back to drinking any soda on a regular basis again!!

FYI: I was drinking pretty much a 12 pack+ of diet soda a day. Just decided one day no more. Took about a week for me to get through the withdrawls.
Happy2Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I used to drink a lot of soda, full sugar.

I hate artificial sweeteners. There's a weird aftertaste.

But I wanted to lose weight and I stopped eating sugar, so I preferred to drink diet coke, rather than nothing at all.

About a year ago, I stopped drinking all soda, including diet coke.

I feel so much better because of it.

Drinking diet coke didn't help me, because I lost AND gained weight on it.

I think it's about the other stuff you put in your body, the amounts of calories you eat and your exercise, that will determine your ability to lose weight.

But I think for overall health, avoiding artificial sweeteners is probably best.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 257/250/112

Height: 5'4.5

I'm a diet coke addict! I actually don't like normal coke, it makes my teeth feel rubbery it's dead weird lol but I couldn't see it having much of an impact of on my diet, people say it gives you a sweet tooth, but in all honesty I'm not a sweet tooth kinda person more of a savoury kinda person, so even with my addiction to diet coke I feel no need to eat sweets and such.... I think I've just gone off topic lol sorry I do that alot :S
candy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #11  

Height: 5'4''

Diet pop is horrible for your health (linked to metabolic disorder, has aspartame, often replaces sources of calcium) even if it won't impede weight loss. My parents stopped buying pop regularly when I was in elementary school and I only drink it on rare occasion, and never at home.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #12  

Height: 5'5

I used to be totally addicted to diet coke. Then I read an article about the syrup they use to colour coke and diet coke and it leading to belly fat. I stopped drinking all diet pops for about 6 months and didn't notice any differences. Eventually I went back to drinking other diet pops but found I had completely lost my taste for diet coke.

I like to have a couple glasses at night to feel like I've had a treat without really having a treat.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #13  

Location: On Planet Earth...I'm waiting for the Oxygen levels to go up on the other planet's before I move

S/C/G: 250/125/120

Height: 5'3"

I love my diet coke and refuse to give it up. It helped to curb my appetite and I know its not healthy but in no way did it cause me to gain weight. I hate when people say it causes weight gain I think that is the biggest myth out there...I think if I drank diet coke and also ate fast food on regular basis then yeah I would of gained some pds.

I hate to go entirely the oposite way but....
I have cut back on my diet coke to a twelve pack per month because I worry about my stomach lining being destroyed.

WinterJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #14  

I have read that drinking diet sodas tricks the brain and when the sweet taste is registered, the brain tells the body to get ready to process the sweet 'food'. Your system then pumps out insulin to handle the sweet, which is not there. This can lead to insulin resistance, the main problem in Metabolic Syndrome. I was an avid Diet Coke with Splenda drinker...LOVED it. I have terrible insulin resistance, and am now a full blown diabetic. I quit using any artificial sweeteners about six months ago, and now I can't stand the taste of diet coke. I much prefer water. I have no idea if this has helped my weight loss, but I am sure I am healthier with out all those chemicals. I might add that I have struggled to lose any weight for close to twenty years. I started on cpap therapy a few months ago and have lost almost 30 pounds now.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 154/see ticker/114

Height: 5'5

Fizzy drinks are bad for you fullstop, whether it's normal or diet coke. If you're trying to be healthy, you shouldn't drink them on a daily basis. Simple as.

Diet coke has just as much crap in it as normal coke, even though it may not have as many calories. It's just a different type of crap. It dehydrates you, too. You're better off with water.
Flamethrower is offline   Reply With Quote