General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #1  
I'm so sexy it hurts

S/C/G: (275 preggo) 245/183/<165

Height: 5'8'"

Default Good meal replacement?

I am looking to replace my lunch with a shake. I don't have time or facilities to make a proper lunch, and if I don't have what I need right at hand I will eat a bunch of junk.

I don't know what a usual calorie amount is, but my lunch is 300 usually. I am lactose intolerant and cannot deal with milk proteins. Some say whey is different. I don't know. I just know that I won't stick with it if it makes me bloated and gives me the trots.

Suggestions?

I could probably go with a bar too. But those seem to be mostly sugar.
Kriket84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

i really like the green monster shakes.

it's like, soy milk (or whatever milk you like), almonds, spinach, a banana, ice.. and i add ground flax seed.

it's about 300 calories, and very delicious.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I use whey, some peanut or almond butter (fat helps slow down whey from getting digested too fast), So Delicious coconut milk or almond milk and a half a banana and sometimes strawberries... just adjust the amounts to get to 300 calories. you could use soy or powder egg protein.. I'm just currently trying to eliminate soy since I heard it's bad for the thyroid and can slow weight loss (I don't know if that's 100% true, I'm just giving it a try to see if works for me).

I'll have to try adding spinach one day.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #4  
I'm so sexy it hurts

S/C/G: (275 preggo) 245/183/<165

Height: 5'8'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
I'm just currently trying to eliminate soy since I heard it's bad for the thyroid and can slow weight loss (I don't know if that's 100% true, I'm just giving it a try to see if works for me).
I've also heard that soy can mess with women's (I guess everyones) estrogen, as it's a photoestrogen (plant estrogen) and can make your body make less of your own.
I've only researched this in a fertility contex.

I am leery of mega doses of soy, but tofu or other normal feed quantities.

I was thinking some special K shake or Slimfast. doh! I should have thought about making my own from REAL food!! I have a juicer too, I just have to find a good balance so that it doesn't turn out brown like the juices I make for my son!
Kriket84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:03 PM   #5  
Stubborn

S/C/G: 195/1175/145

Height: 5'5"

Default smoothy

My breakfast smoothy is just a banana, a hand full of frozen strawberries and a cup of orange juice. Milk in the mornings is not my thing, and you can get orange juice with calcium in it now which makes me feel better about it. Sometimes if I want something sweeter or plan on a big work out I'll add honey.
Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/175/130

Height: 5'5

I too am avoiding soy!

I bought some of this product yesterday to replace my Jay Robb Egg Protein Mix:
It was 30.00 for a "starter can"

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Life-.../dp/B00013YYR6

I made some this morning for my breakfast:

1 cup unsweetened Almond Milk
3 ice cubes
4 blue berries
1 scoop of product

I used my magic bullet.

It was a weird color, almost grayish. It tasted nutty, like wheat germ, was a shake like consistency but did have some stuff I had to swallow.

I had energy galore!

I made more for lunch.

I am going to order some from Amazon, the bigger can was $70.00 at my local store and Amazon is selling it for $55.00!
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/196/135

Height: 5'7"

I sometimes use whey protein with a medium banana and a scoop of peanut butter. It comes to about 300 calories and it's delicious. I mix with 1 1/2 cups of water and a few ice cubes and blend it in the blender.

Oh, and fyi, there are lactose free whey protein isolates available.
cammieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #8  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

I use This in place of breakfast most days and some days lunch. Will also have it at night when the kids are chowing on ice cream so I don't give in. The cookies & cream tastes exactly like Oreo ice cream when mixed with 2% milk. I have the cappuccino rush for breakfast/lunch though to help power me through my day.
mkat321 is offline   Reply With Quote