General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #1  

Unhappy the decaf diet

i just read a new diet book called "the decaf diet - is caffeine making you fat?" it focuses on energy balance and how caffeine makes us overeat by spiking our cortisol and insulin levels, so it seems logical.

so here's my problem/question. i love coffee! green mountain's chocolate raspberry truffle is pretty much my reason for getting up in the morning. i don't want to quit and i don't think i can. decaf diet talks about some ways of better caffeine use for weight loss, but then there is still cortisol and insulin to think about. and i keep seeing this cortisol/insulin argument against caffeine all over the net!

my question is have any of you actually seen some changes from caffeine in your diet? like if you drink more do you tend to eat more or the other way around? i think i'm hungrier when i have more coffee, but i'm really not sure. there was a time when i could quit easily, but i don't think i can do it anymore i get too depressed w/o coffee.
tobelean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #2  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

If you sit down and think for a moment and are truely honest with yourself... Do you think your reason for having weight to lose is because of coffee? I know for me, it has been over eating, eating calorie dense food, not controlling my portions, etc.

And I have also read articles that say caffiene helps lose weight. (who knows - it like eggs - eggs are good, eggs are bad, oops eggs are good again) I have my cup of coffee every morning. I put a splash of 1% milk in it and a small spoon of sugar.

OF course - if you are adding a cup of half and half and 6 tablespoons of sugar... then that could definitely be an area to improve on. but like you, my cup in the morning gets me going!

OR if you are drinnking coffee all day long and it is affecting your sleep - I could see that hurting weight loss.

Last edited by SCraver; 08-27-2010 at 10:27 AM.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #3  

yea you're right, i mean i do eat too much, i know that, i just am so often hungry and i wonder what the difference is between me and my skinny friend who can have 2 bites and be full.

and i think you're right about putting less in the coffee. i have switched to putting just a little bit of skim milk and one spoon of sugar in my coffee and so far that is working fine for me.

congrats on the 5k!! i've been running them myself and it was just horrid when i started out. horrid. now it feels great!
tobelean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #4  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelean View Post
i just am so often hungry and i wonder what the difference is between me and my skinny friend who can have 2 bites and be full.
omg - I wish I knew! I am often hungry, too. I find eating whole grains and having a bit of protein eat time I eat helps keepmy hunger in check. But I have always had a healthy appetite!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote