Are there really "flat tummy" foods?

• I have seen ads before about foods for a flat tummy? Do they really exist? I am so frustrated that in my weight loss my stomach has made the least amount of progress. I know I still have a long way to go, but the stomach keeps me from going down another size!!
  • Tummy exercise
    Hi
    A friend of mine that is a massage therapist/physical therapist taught me an exercise for my lower back and lower stomach.
    Lie on the floor with your knees bent.
    Raise your legs with the knees still bent so that it looks like you are sitting in a chair.
    Than lower your legs in this same position, feet flexed, aiming your heels towards the floor. Only go as far down as your stomach muscles will allow.
    Than raise your legs back to the starting position.
    I started out only being able to do about 5 because of my back and stomach. I can now do around 30 at one time. I usually do sets of 10.
    But be nice to yourself and don't stain too much.
    I know this one works on the lower stomach muscles but it will also strengthen your back. To me it is a win-win
  • I think it depends on what your tummy trouble is. We know we can't spot reduce fat on our bellies but we can cut down some of the bloating that makes our stomachs stick out more some times.

Ya know that feeling? After a big meal when you have to undo your pants?

For me, it's grains and potatoes that make me feel like that. For some folks it's dairy.
    I think that's what those ads are about moreso than actually losing belly fat.
  • What I heard about all the "flat tummy" foods is that it's a gimick. Basically what the deal is that they are combined with other foods that result in about a 1600 cal diet and *most* people will lose weight on that.

I can say that I eat most of them daily - avocados, nuts, olive oil, dark chocolate and there is still fat on my belly.

All I can tell you is time, you just have to "weight" it out and see. Obviously the more you lose the more it will eventually come from your tummy. Then when you hit goal only time will tell if there will be loose skin and how much fat will still lie in the area. I'm pretty sure ALL of my fat is in my tummy
  • OK- thanks.
  • I had never heard about this "flat belly diet" until my friend told me about it. Like NCUNEO, I've been doing pretty much what this diet calls for by eating a bit of these Monounsaturated Fats daily and keeping my calories under 1600 for nearly 9 months.

HOWEVER, I loosened my regimine for about a month this summer and regained about 7 pounds. When I tightened the reigns again a couple weeks ago I thought I'd keep my former plan but just change one thing and that is to add a Monounsaturated Fat at each meal. I must tell you that the little pooch above my belly button that has been forever haunting me is definitely shrinking. So I am beginning to believe that there is "something" to this. I know there is no magic bullet in spot reducing, but mine is definitely going down.

I've not changed one thing other than adding a Monounsaturated fat at every meal/snack. And since I'd regained a bit of weight I don't believe it's just because it would have happened with further weight loss anyhow because I am still about 2 pounds above my lowest weight.

Previously I had a 100 calorie pack of almonds each afternoon and tried to add a bit of olive oil or avacado each day into a meal. Now what I do is take that 100 calorie pack of almonds and eat about 5 almonds before breakfast, mid morn snack and lunch. For supper I have a tsp. olive oil or 1/2 and avacodo and for my night snack I have a heaping tsp of chocolate chips. So I'm not adding too many calories from these extra fats that I wouldn't normally have had. It's just the timing of my eating them that I've changed.

I haven't been able to eat lots of fresh/raw vegies anyhow because of having my gall bladder removed a couple years ago. Those will give you lots of bloat.

So, basically I just did a little experiment and I like the results.
  • i have gone pesco vegetarian. my tummy still sticks out but not as much.

i noticed, though, that whenever i eat processed food, my tummby bloats. it is common knowledge by now that the more you consume processed food, the more fats you're taking in. if you go natural, the better for you.

i guess the answer to the question is : all natural food will help keep you tummy flat.