I really need some suggestions of a good diet plan, but I have some issues that are getting in the way of most of the ones I've read about on here.
A little about me first:
I'm 21 (will be on the 30th anyway), 5'4" and I weigh 210lbs.
1. I LOVE water, it is by far my favorite drink, and plain ice-cold water can be the most delicious thing on earth.
2. I have a distaste for grease, I can't even stand the smell of it, and generally avoid it.
3. I do not drink soda. Not only is it bad for you, it hurts my stomach, and I never liked the taste.
1. I have a lot of problems with anxiety. I've never talked to anyone about it but I really do think it's a problem. I got a membership at curves once, but ended up quiting because the timed 30 second workouts made me extremely anxious (I have a HUGE thing about time, and even as a kid I refused to play anything timed 'cause I would panic). Every time I would get to the walker with the heart-rate thing it would say I was way over where I should be.
2. I LOVE bread, so much. I read someone's success story and they mentioned that everyone has at least one thing that they can't cut out of the diet, and bread would be mine. I am a HUGE fan of Italian food, I could eat pasta everyday. Olive oil, pasta, and herbs are some of the greatest ingredients I know.
3. I still live with my parents, and am currently looking for work. As I have no money, and live with 3 other people, I have very little say over what is in the kitchen. My Dad likes to bring home ice cream, my brother brings home the junk food, and my mom tends to forget to go shopping. So my options are usually VERY limited, and what my options are is rarely healthy. I've offered to do the shopping, but again as I have no money, I have very little say on what goes on the list.
4. My brother is a very very cynical person who thinks health food and dieting is for blond valley girls and hippies. Needless to say I get more teasing that support. Lately he's been a lot better, finally realized that he could use a diet too >.> and started cutting back on some stuff. My dad is the silent type, so though I don't get criticism, I don't get support either. My mother is on the same dieting boat as me but our tastes and attitudes are completely different and she is a very controlling person. We tend to butt heads more than help, though it isn't intentional
I've tried counting calories before, and it worked pretty well but I've always fallen off of the wagon. I'm not sure how to be successful at it without being too restrictive and I also don't want to just cut calories, I want to eat healthier. I can't cook to save my life but I'd like to learn to make really delicious healthy plates. Lately my family and I decided to do a cooking hand-off during the week. Mom has Monday, dad has Tuseday, I'm Wednesday, an so on. Does anyone know a really great cookbook?
As far as exercise goes, I have a Richard Simmons DVD that I can exercise to, but I'm not sure how often. I'd rather bike or walk but I live in the desert and would you want to jog in 110 degree heat and high humidity? I didn't think so...