General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default Salt and vinegar

Hey everyone. Just putting together a diet plan and looking for the answer to a quick question.

I'm ordering salt in my grocery shop, and I'm trying to decide between low sodium or regular. I remember chatting to a friend a few years back who basically said something along the lines of "If you're going to drink coffee it may as well be full caffeine - decaff is so processed it's worse for you".

For some reason that stuck with me, and now I'm wondering if this applies to salt? Is low sodium salt heavily processed, and of so does this make it less wholesome or healthy? Would I be better off going for low salt, regular salt, or some other kind like sea salt or rock salt... or is it all down to personal preference. I don't particularly use a lot, but I'd like to get it right.

Sneaking in another question: When I need to eat lunch on the go, I'll be swapping my regular fast food or shop bought, stuffed white baguette and replacing with a wholemeal pitta stuffed with a small amount of protein (ham or turkey) and salad. I really like just vinegar as dressing, but is there a particular vinegar that's "better" - balsamic, white, brown etc.

Thanks!

Gem.
bouncyGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 140/134.5/120

Height: 5'5"

I just went through this about six months ago. I suggest that you go with kosher salt. It is used by the finest chefs for cooking and a little will go a long way. It is "saltier" than regular table salt and if you pulse it in a spice grinder, you can make it just as fine. (If you grind it for 20 seconds, it will become fantastic popcorn salt)
MorganleFay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

I personally prefer sea salt and I've heard that it's a healthier alternative to regular salt.

As for the vinegar... i LOVE rice vinegar. YUM!
Stella4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

Low sodium is usually half salt mixed with potassium chloride. Not bad, but some need to watch potassium intake even more than salt. I use it, but I prefer the taste of kosher salt.
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote