Advice for a newbie please! : )

• Hey everyone!

I'm new to this forum and thought you guys out there could help me with my question....I'm a female, 5'5'', 163 lbs. Right now I'm just setting a small goal and would be very happy losing 9-10 lbs (1# per week) to get to about 155. I've been listening to Jillian Michaels and all her advice about metabolism and calorie counting.

So, for the past week or two I've been eating about 1400 calories a day (my BMR is 1570 and my total daily calorie needs to maintain 163# is 2434)...do you think 1400 is too low? I tend to be hungry at night and I'm wondering if maybe I should bump up to about 1500-1600 calories a day?

I'd really appreciate anyone's input. Thanks so much! : )

Peace!
  • The amount of calories you eat also depends on how much you are exercising. If you are working out a lot, you will need more calories to keep yourself full. Also, you may want to consider slowly cutting back the calories to find your "perfect fit" so you aren't feeling so deprived. If you are hungry, definitely eat something - apple, carrots, etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your weight loss!
  • I am working out quite a bit! About 6 hours of cardio a week and free weights/abs/strength training.

Thank you for the reply! : )
  • If you are working out that much, and are still hungry, I would recommend increasing your calories. Even adding filling foods (fruits and veggies) won't add a ton of calories to your daily intake.